German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl is almost 4 1/2 months old right now, love her to death, but OMG the biting and the pawing are seriously causing some war wounds! We are working on bite inhibition, and she's doing OK with that.
Still needs to be reminded a lot that a lot of pressure hurts, and sometimes she just out right latches on to a hand, arm or leg and draws blood! It reallllyyy hurts and I know my husband is considering making me and the pup move out till she grows up ( LOL not really) and the pawing is terrible, even though i trim her little claws of death, those suckers still hurt! I have read its a dominance thing and our ScH trainer said to just lay a hand on her head when she does it, well then it turns in to her pawing me even worse and trying to evade me hand and bite it.
This has all started getting worse in the past week or 2, not to mention she is teething! It's like the land shark ( who never really left, just toned down) is back with full forces. She's not listening, she's chasing the cats relentlessly, if another dog comes up to her she or is in the vicinity she's is jumping squirming and being a terrorist. Putting her in her crate is sometimes just as bad! ( she is or should I say was crate trained) I will put her in there after walks/workouts, feeding, nap time or whatever and now 99% of the time she just yelps and whines the WHOLE time, and God forbid I am nowhere to be seen she has a major temper tantrum, or if she can see another dog or cat outside the crate she just flips out.
Last night for the first time I actually flopped her (not hard at all) on her side and held her there until she stopped squirming because the biting and the pawing were so terrible, I literally sat on the floor crying because my sweet girl was just being horrible and I feel like I am not doing anything right!
She gets walks 3x day, obedience lessons everything daily, she got her S.T.A.R. puppy Canine Good citizenship, we go to ScH classes weekly and she is excelling in leaps and bounds.
I just don't know what to do about the latching on to the arm biting, pawing me, chasing cats, losing her mind when other dogs are around and just being a hellion! Is this a stage???? is there something I could do better?:help:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Are you sure you arent talking about my Abby?
You are describing her exactly.

I was in exactly the same boat with Abby. I was
even considering taking her back to the breeder at one point.

Some excellent advice from some on this forum
convinced me that my dog was not abnormal and
that behavior is quite common for GSD puppies.

Do some searching on this forum and you will find
lots of people (including me) having the same issues.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Keep working
with her and giving her other outlets for all that puppy
energy. Sometime around the 6 month mark my Abby
suddenly seemed to "get it". She is still a brat at times
but she wouldnt be Abby if she wasnt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You are doing everything right. Roxy was doing the same thing and her constant biting is what helped me fine this forum. As she gets older, the biting will decrease. Note I say decrease. Roxy is 20 mos. old and we still get an occasional love bite.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Mine will be 4 months this weekend and she has gotten so much better. What worked great for me was/is making a loud ouch noice everything she hurt me. She hardly even tries now and I can even let her mouth my hand and she has a nice soft mouth knowing not to bare down.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I carry a spray bottle of water wherever I go. A squirt on the rear gets my shark to let go, so I can "escape" by re-directing.

I also time her out in a bathroom where there is NOTHING she can get into. (Emptied cabinet, toilet locked down, etc.)

I've also been "no bite" and "easy" then click and treat. That is helping a lot.

Yes, I'm covered in war wounds. I think the guy owners have it easy. How many of us women are shaving legs with little scabs all over them thanks to puppy nips?

Pffttt - guys have it easy!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL you mean I am not completely screwing up my GSD puppy? She acts like such a sweetie at ScH training every week and the trainer is so excited over her, but at home or any where but training I feel like I live with a terrorist!
How do you get them to stop pawing at you????? those claws hurt darn it!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I am a tough old bird, and really did not worry so much about the biting and the blood. Sure, I tried to tire the puppy out with play and I tried to redirect wtih toys but that only went so far. I have had enough of them that I know it comes to an end and I was never convinced that all those noxious interventions were that effective or worth it. Every GSD pup I have had has been an alligator from a small degree to a large one. It is who they are. I actually worry if we are not being eaten alive!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a tough old bird, and really did not worry so much about the biting and the blood. Sure, I tried to tire the puppy out with play and I tried to redirect wtih toys but that only went so far. I have had enough of them that I know it comes to an end and I was never convinced that all those noxious interventions were that effective or worth it. Every GSD pup I have had has been an alligator from a small degree to a large one. It is who they are. I actually worry if we are not being eaten alive!
LOL I actually worry on the days she isn't trying to gnaw me to death, but oh man these guys can bite!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Are you sure you arent talking about my Abby?
You are describing her exactly.

I was in exactly the same boat with Abby. I was
even considering taking her back to the breeder at one point.

Some excellent advice from some on this forum
convinced me that my dog was not abnormal and
that behavior is quite common for GSD puppies.

Do some searching on this forum and you will find
lots of people (including me) having the same issues.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Keep working
with her and giving her other outlets for all that puppy
energy. Sometime around the 6 month mark my Abby
suddenly seemed to "get it". She is still a brat at times
but she wouldnt be Abby if she wasnt.
LOL ....... or MY Abby..... the dragon puppy.
You just have to hang in there, she will eventually get it.
My Abby is 1 1/2 and still needs to be reminded daily.
Fortunately, she will stop when told but she gets so boisterous.
At 25.5" and 70 pounds she still thinks she's a puppy (because she is)
but we have to be patient and persist in calming her down without
breaking her spirit.
You got some good tips above. The loud OUCH works well, especially if you
yelp it in a high voice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
One thing to do for the sharp puppy nails is learn how to dremel them! Then they are round and blunt, with no sharp edges. It makes a big difference! The teeth end is trickier, but they do eventually figure out that we are not chew toys...Hang in there!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You BOTH sound completely normal! I can remember the day I was able to pet Uschi without being bitten. Sounds like you're doing everything you can and don't beat yourself up for getting frustrated. My mom's gsd responded very well to a can to a quick squirt of compressed air- not on the dog or anything, just the sound of it got her attention. Hang in there, it will get better! Stosh response well to the 'easy' command too and I practiced it with a treat and clicker. I used string cheese, held it in the palm of my hand and just let out enough for him to nibble and when he touched my hand, I said 'easy' and clicked and let him bite a bigger hunk out of it for his treat. He used to literally take the treat, clicker and my hand in his mouth to get the treat. We still get the love nibbles and mouthing on our wrists but not the scarring wounds like we used to.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have lots and lots of toys. I taught Jamie to take her puppy biting out on the toys. I started that from the time I brought her home. What I did was everytime she went to bite I put a toy in her mouth so now if wants to play she goes and gets a toy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Good for you! Your post shows how much you love your dog and sometimes love hurts. How many people just let their children and their dogs run wild, there NEEDS to be dicipline and if it takes rolling your dog and he or she is not hurt by it and the outcome was desired then you did your job.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'm going with the puppy phase....mine did the exact same thing. LOL don't worry...you are doing the right things. Just hang in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine will be 4 months this weekend and she has gotten so much better. What worked great for me was/is making a loud ouch noice everything she hurt me. QUOTE]

Great advice. I do the same with my 4-month old and it seems to work rather well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you everyone so much! it makes me feel SOOOO much better knowing I am not completely screwing her up LOL, I always owner Heelers and the worst was teaching them not to nip my heels, but my GSD goes after everything!
I was playing with her today, walked her and she actually seems to be behaving at least 50% better today, hoping the putting her on her side helped her realize she can't be doing that stuff. I don't want to do it again, my husband thought I was killing her she was just having a holy temper tantrum, who needs kids when you got a German Shepherd puppy?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts