German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He weighs 43lbs and is 19 weeks old. I want him to be as big as possible. He gets Science diet food and puppy vitamins, but he just seems small. He hasn't lost his milk teeth; but he doesn't look like a puppy, more like a mini shepherd with big feet and ears, sans the mane (which is starting). I just think he should be bigger by now. His mother was medium size and his father was large. He was big enough to rear up and look down on me (I'm six feet tall). I don't know what to think. I just want him to be big. He's 7lbs shy of the chats which is like 13 percent, that seems pretty significant to me.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
He is still a baby!!! Bigger is not better, GSD's should not be huge!
Enjoy the puppy stage for as long as you can.
I would transition him from the Science diet, it is not a good food. There are many threads here on nutrition worth reading...if you really want him to grow properly, get him on a good diet!!!
He won't be done teething til he is about 7 months, why are you in such a rush to have him be older? Cherish his wonky gangly stages, they go by waay too fast.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Thirding (?) what Jane said..

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
I want him to be as big as possible.
Why? :confused: If you wanted a really big dog there are larger breeds out there. GSDs are supposed to be medium sized - about 48-1/2 to 70-1/2 pounds for a female and about 66 to 88 pounds for a male.

The charts are averages, not absolutes. Puppies also grow at different rates so he could be a couple of pounds under the average size for his age now and in a few months be a couple of pounds over the average. It's really not anything to stress over. According the to chart I have, he's only about 2 or 3 pounds under the average for an approximately 4-1/2 month male. That's really not significant.

Dena was 13 pounds over the average female at 6 months old, almost exactly the average weight for a 7 month old male! Her half sibling Keefer was 7 pounds less than she was, and a pound and a half under the male average at 6 months old. Guess what? At maturity he outweighed her by 12 pounds! So she grew faster earlier than he did, but he kept growing after she'd stopped.

·
Registered
101 Posts
He is only 5 months old..he's still got a lot of growing to do! Even after he finishes growing he will still have several months of "filling out". Like Jane said, you will miss him being this little! You will look back and his puppy stage will be a blur.

To me, GSD's typically look more "adult" like even when they're puppies because they have such a noble expression. Get him on a good diet and exercise routine and he will grow as big as he is meant to be.

I do understand how you feel, though. My male Golden is 2 and 1/2 years old and only weighs 60 pounds, and I was disappointed with his size at first..but he can't help how big he is and I love him just the same :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
as long as he doesn't have a pot belly i would say just let him be a pup ~(c:
but i also 4th onyx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He is still a baby!!! Bigger is not better, GSD's should not be huge!
Enjoy the puppy stage for as long as you can.
I would transition him from the Science diet, it is not a good food. There are many threads here on nutrition worth reading...if you really want him to grow properly, get him on a good diet!!!
He won't be done teething til he is about 7 months, why are you in such a rush to have him be older? Cherish his wonky gangly stages, they go by waay too fast.
I know, I know Shepherd aren't supposed to be huge, but I really want him to be. I don't really know why, I think it has more to do with hugs than anything else nothing. More importantly, I though I was feeding my pup good food!?? I'll have to do some reading.

·
Registered
27,272 Posts
I have two "huge" GSDs at 90# (one is a female 26" male is 27") I would rather have the smaller structure, though my male is very agile and stealth. My female is not as agile, but she is muscled. Once your pup matures you will see that he is just right for hugging(and all along the way)!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Trying to make him huge will only lead to heartbreak later. I have a client with 2 bulldogs, the first one they got was a bit above averge size (they got her as an adult). Then they got the second one, who you could tell was just from smaller stock and would be much smaller than the first. They got the second one as a 10week old puppy. Anyway, the husband really wanted her to be big like the first so he feeds her more and more thinking it will make her get to a size closer to her sister. She was basically a big fat ham on legs. Fast forward a year or so later and she had horrible back and knee issues already, can barely breathe most of the time, you get the picture. Finally the vet gave them the price for surgically repairing just one knee and suddenly the dog is on a diet. I told the husband that I was probably genetically programmed to be about 5'4", and if my parents would have fed me 50% more food growing up it wouldn't have made me any taller, just wider, and miserable!!!
And I'll just say it, Science Diet is crap. Feed the correct amount of a top quality food and you have the best chance of getting a structurally healthy dog who is hopefully within the size set forth in the standard for the German Shepherd.
Some of our favorite food brands are Instinct, Orijen, Acana and Wellness.
Check out this site, and find a good 5 star food.
Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I know, I know Shepherd aren't supposed to be huge, but I really want him to be. I don't really know why, I think it has more to do with hugs than anything else nothing. More importantly, I though I was feeding my pup good food!?? I'll have to do some reading.
How big are mom and dad? Genetics are going to tell you how big he's going to be.

Science diet is one of the worst foods out there. Dogs are carnivores and there's barely any meat in that kibble. It's very grain heavy. Get a better food and cut out the vitamins. What vitamins are you feeding and why? Did your vet or breeder recommend them?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have to ditto everyone else. Stop feeding SD and get a better food. He is what he is, don't try to make him grow to big or fast. He will have problems later on. You may be amazed at what he turns into.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Brocan couldn't have put it any clearer:

" I told the husband that I was probably genetically programmed to be about 5'4", and if my parents would have fed me 50% more food growing up it wouldn't have made me any taller, just wider, and miserable!!!"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why? :confused: If you wanted a really big dog there are larger breeds out there. GSDs are supposed to be medium sized - about 48-1/2 to 70-1/2 pounds for a female and about 66 to 88 pounds for a male.

The charts are averages, not absolutes. Puppies also grow at different rates so he could be a couple of pounds under the average size for his age now and in a few months be a couple of pounds over the average. It's really not anything to stress over. According the to chart I have, he's only about 2 or 3 pounds under the average for an approximately 4-1/2 month male. That's really not significant.

Dena was 13 pounds over the average female at 6 months old, almost exactly the average weight for a 7 month old male! Her half sibling Keefer was 7 pounds less than she was, and a pound and a half under the male average at 6 months old. Guess what? At maturity he outweighed her by 12 pounds! So she grew faster earlier than he did, but he kept growing after she'd stopped.
I don't really know why I want him to be so large. i have no intention of using him for personal protection or anything else where size would give him any advantage. After looking at a few breeders I picked his litter partly because the father was huge. I guess I just like using him as a pillow to be honest, and who doesn't want a bigger pillow. I have no good reason for wanting a huge GSD, but I'm not showing him or breeding him. Reagan is just my pet and I will love him just as much even if he stays the size he is now for the rest of his life. I just like big animals, I have a 17lb cat!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How big are mom and dad? Genetics are going to tell you how big he's going to be.

Science diet is one of the worst foods out there. Dogs are carnivores and there's barely any meat in that kibble. It's very grain heavy. Get a better food and cut out the vitamins. What vitamins are you feeding and why? Did your vet or breeder recommend them?
The vet suggested the vitamins and the science diet food. Maybe I need a new vet. What food should I feed him?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had a huge female shepherd. She would have been healthier had she been smaller, I think. Your guy will fill out.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You can look at www.petfoodanalysis.com to find a better food than SD. And there are many threads about feeding puppies. The dog's gonna be the size he's gonna be, the only thing you can force him to be is overweight.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Your dog is not small for his age. He is not large, he is right on target for the 'standard'. My female was 38 pounds at 19 weeks and she is 66 now and 25".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts