German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarrassed at how ignorant I am regarding obedience/dog training, as far as commands and their meaning. For example, I know that there is such a thing as a command to "finish", which I believe means the dog is supposed to end up beside you in a sit (I'm not even sure I'm right about this part!).

My question is, I am very interested in learning more, and but I don't know where to start looking. Anyway, where can I learn the correct obedience commands and/or terminology and their meanings? Of course, I'm not talking about "sit", "down", etc, but a little more advanced (or a lot) than that.

Also, what about commands in German? For example, I've picked up through context and reading that "platz" is the German word for "down", but I'm not even sure how to pronounce it correctly. Not that I want to learn German, but it would be good to know where can I learn more about these things? Are there any good books, websites, etc? I'm not necessarily going to train my dog to do all the commands I see, but I'd like to at least learn more terminology.

I'm such a newbie I can't even really ask the question right.

TIA!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
When I looked up platz, it said it rhymed with cats, but my trainer pronounces it as rhyming with butts.
My trainer has me use fuss to mean finish- if I'm not moving she sits, if I am she heels, or fooses, as we jokingly say in my house.
On Saturday mornings, we go foosin'

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
My AKC trainer used "finish" for the come around behind type of heel, and he used heel for the dog to go from in front directly to the right side.

Lucina, there's nothing like some good foosin'!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Here you go. If you click on the command there is audio, so make sure your volume is turned up.

Audio for commands

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: DanLMy AKC trainer used "finish" for the come around behind type of heel, and he used heel for the dog to go from in front directly to the right side.
I know a lot of folks that use "heel" to go around behind the handler to the heel postition, and "swing" to go to the left.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
What commands you use is really up to you. Some people like to train in German, some like to train in Dutch, some like to train in Czech. Some people train in a foreign language because it sounds neat, others because they don't want other people to give commands to their dog, and yet others because they use the foreign language for "formal" training and English in more relaxed situations.

A lot of people, especially folks who are new to training and are starting off in a club or with a trainer, go with the commands they learn in class.

I use a combination of English and German commands and I also use hand signals. Abby knows all the main commands - the ones we use most often - in both languages and with a hand signal: sit, down, stay, come, left, right, catch up, go out/forward. The only exception is heeling where I use Fuss for heeling on the left and heel for heeling on the right.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Since I do Rally, there is a Finish Left (I use the Dutch command for Heel), and a Finish Right (I use Go Around).

For me Heel is to get to my left side fast (and stay there) and I taught it the way it's demonstrated on Ivan Balavanov's DVD (Obedience without Conflict) which is the "swing", not around my back.

Just a note, before I went with Ivan's method, I tried a couple of other ways to get her to the heel position and she never "got it". With Ivan's method, she got it in minutes.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Here's a nice website that one of my old professors put together (he's big into workingline shepherds)

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag.htm

There are sound clips so you can hear how the commands are pronounced in several languages.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used the commands that seemed to come to me naturally. When we were going to our first obedience classes, half the time I couldn't remember what words the trainer was telling us to use. For example, instead of heel I kept saying 'back' and was getting too involved in being frustrated at myself for not using the "correct" word. So I just went with what I could remember and came out of my mouth consistently and even though it may sound strange, it's working for us. It's fun to link commands with the hand signals though, Otis learned them quickly and as long as I repeat repeat repeat them every time, I don't even have to say a word for most things, like sit and down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts