German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a deer tick on my arm! It didn't bite me yet, it was just crawling. Now I feel gross and itchy! My uncle and aunt had a border collie that just passed away. They gave me what they had left of their Frontline. I use Advantix on Wolfie, but since I bought the package of Advantix, Wolfie has gotten heavier than the weight recommendations on the package. I decided to give the Frontline a try since it's the correct weight doseage for Wolfie. So far I have found 2 ticks on him in the past week, and now one on me. I am hoping I don't find anymore on him. I never found ticks on him while using the Advantix. I put the Frontline on him 2 weeks ago. Should I wait the full month before putting the Advantix on him? Would it hurt him to put the Advantix on him now?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
IMHO it would be better to retreat than it would be to risk the possible disease transmission from ticks.

I think frontline and advantage are worthless. They might as well put water in the package for as good as they work around here. Ask 10 dog owners what they use for fleas and ticks and you'll get 10 different answers.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I too would retreat...just maybe apply in a slightly different place on his skin to avoid an irritation. I used Frontline and had tick issues on me and Jake but I attributed that to a record hot summer and seems everyone complained about the ticks this summer. However I am considering switching...

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a lot of ticks here in the Northeast. Wolfie had a tick on him once before I started treating with Advantix. Then never another tick until I used Frontline instead. I think I will retreat.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My uncle and aunt had a border collie that just passed away. They gave me what they had left of their Frontline.
A quick question...what is the expiry date of the Frontline that your uncle/aunt gave you. The reason I ask is ...a few months back a friend of mine gave me a bunch of medications that his GSD used to use before it passed away. When I went to use them I noticed that some of them had expiry dates in 2009 and some in 2010. he must've bought them online sometime back in bulk !!
Not saying that your case is the same..but would be wise to double check the potency of the meds !

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
From what I have heard Advantix works better than Frontline, but I heard that it can be harmful to cats. My Vet told me not to use Advantix because I have 3 cats.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Frontline is not the same anymore. I don't use frontline on my dogs for ages now. my vet and teachers in college say that Advantix it's much better. they don't use frontline anymore so do I.
I also use scalibor collars cause of the Leishminiasi. it's the only thing that proctects them for the sandflies.

in my opinion you should get the scalibor collar and put it now then wait one more week and put him the advantix. you can use the scalibor and advantix at the same time it's no problem.

LaRen616 said:
From what I have heard Advantix works better than Frontline, but I heard that it can be harmful to cats. My Vet told me not to use Advantix because I have 3 cats.
yes it's true you can't use advantix on cats but you can use it on dogs. I have 3 cats too and my dogs use advantix and it's ok for them. the cats will be fine.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A quick question...what is the expiry date of the Frontline that your uncle/aunt gave you. The reason I ask is ...a few months back a friend of mine gave me a bunch of medications that his GSD used to use before it passed away. When I went to use them I noticed that some of them had expiry dates in 2009 and some in 2010. he must've bought them online sometime back in bulk !!
Not saying that your case is the same..but would be wise to double check the potency of the meds !
I did check the dates because they gave me some Heartguard too.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Frontline is not the same anymore. I don't use frontline on my dogs for ages now. my vet and teachers in college say that Advantix it's much better. they don't use frontline anymore so do I.
I also use scalibor collars cause of the Leishminiasi. it's the only thing that proctects them for the sandflies.

in my opinion you should get the scalibor collar and put it now then wait one more week and put him the advantix. you can use the scalibor and advantix at the same time it's no problem.

yes it's true you can't use advantix on cats but you can use it on dogs. I have 3 cats too and my dogs use advantix and it's ok for them. the cats will be fine.
Really? My Vet said that the dogs having Advantix on them is harmful to cats, the cats didn't have to have it on them. :confused:

·
Registered
206 Posts
LaRen616 said:
Really? My Vet said that the dogs having Advantix on them is harmful to cats

really. my vet said it's ok and all my teachers in college too. I'm a 3yr vet student. so I know some things and I have lots of opinions from professionals.
you can't put it directly on cats other way is fine.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
really. my vet said it's ok and all my teachers in college too. I'm a 3yr vet student. so I know some things and I have lots of opinions from professionals.
you can't put it directly on cats other way is fine.
I'm not arguing with you, that's just what my Vet said.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts

It even warns of this on the packaging. If your dog and cats do any mututal grooming or laying together, it's not recommended to use advantix.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rerun said:
If your dog and cats do any mututal grooming or laying together
No my dog and cats don't do that together. sometimes they share the same bed(mine) and same cauch etc etc not at the same time thought. that's why I said it's not harmful at least it's what I was told of. and never got any problems with that.

but I have a friend that her GSDs and her cat sleep together and they stay togetherall day and they also use advantix and they are fine.
just saying, not argue. sorry about anything.:)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
No my dog and cats don't do that together. sometimes they share the same bed(mine) and same cauch etc etc not at the same time thought. that's why I said it's not harmful at least it's what I was told of. and never got any problems with that.

but I have a friend that her GSDs and her cat sleep together and they stay togetherall day and they also use advantix and they are fine.
just saying, not argue. sorry about anything.:)
People do a lot of things they shouldn't do, and somehow the majority of them get along just fine. That doesn't mean it's safe or smart to do. ;)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
It even warns of this on the packaging. If your dog and cats do any mututal grooming or laying together, it's not recommended to use advantix.
My kitten sleeps with my dogs, wrestles with them, cleans them.

So I'll pass on Advantix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts