German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been working on recall with Regen and Osa, separately and together, and their recall is 100% when called away from other dogs (as long as the other dog isn't within 10 feet, and we don't let that happen), stinky things, etc.
We go on off-leash hikes 2-3 times a week, usually during the lowest traffic times we can find, since they only go off leash if they can do so without disturbing other people's hiking experience.

So we're feeling all proud of ourselves for having these great dogs that might have other atrocious problems, but they always come when they are called, right away, and at FULL SPEED.

Except for today. We were hiking and all of a sudden we look up the ridge and see a huge herd of mule deer watching us from above, all spread out. Regen and Osa are both looking intently. Here is our dumb move; this would be the logical time to clip on the leashes. Instead, struck with the awe and beauty of deer at sunset, we did nothing.

AND, after a long moment or two, Regen starts jogging up the hill. The best part is when we call her, she turns and looks at us for a split second, looks at the deer, and then sprints away...and Osa follows.

Buttheads...so much for our beautiful moment. When they finally remembered what their names were, they sprinted back to us, very pleased with themselves, and also covered in cholla spikes.

Funny how you can want to shake them silly and hug them all at the same time. :mad::wub:

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Deer have to be the ultimate proofing!
Today I let Karlo out front with me to get the newpaper. Looked around the neighborhood first to see if there were any dogs out. All quiet. As soon as we got to the mailbox, my next door neighbor let his sheltie out....shelties are barkfests in a fursuit.
I said "nooo"(wanted to yell, but knew it would ramp up the situation) to my neighbor and grabbed Karlo around his neck(he didn't have a collar on) Sheltie Moses started running for Karlo and Karlo was such a good boy, he wanted to be with me instead of mauling Moses!
My females would have killed him in a nano second they hate him so much!

Like you say, hugs and shakes....

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Deer are our nemesis in the Poconos! Though my dogs will chase everything, most animals quickly dart up a tree so the dogs stop running!

·
Registered
682 Posts
This is one of the main reasons I use an e-colar for off leash walks in the woods, I have a lot of deer and rabbits we encounter on our walks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for serious, anyone have tips for working on recall with this kind of distraction?
Their awesome recall isn't worth much if it fails when they see deer bounding off and will chase them FAR...it's taken as much as 2 or 3 minutes for them to return.

The off-leash time is critical for their overall mental health, as even leashed runs of 5-6 miles don't have the same impact as a 30 minute off -leash hike.

Ideas? She will even leave birds and rabbits alone to come back to me, but DEER are her favorite and unfortunately, the time that we hike each morning before work is deer central.

·
Registered
860 Posts
LOL- no help here for you- but this made me laugh mainly because if you think it is hard to stop a GSD from chasing the deer, you should be on my Psycho HORSE when he sees Deer- it is all i can do to stop from going on a chase WITH ME ON him through the woods. He is a very territorial horse and will just about chase or kill anything besides human or another horse that gets in his pasture. he chases the deer out- we found a poor racoon and several turtles stomped to death in his pasture as well. He sees the deer and he perks up and starts his prancy trot and it is all i can do to get him under control until the deer are long gone and out of his sight and pea sized brain (I really do love my horse- LOL) anyway- sorry to go off topic- this just brought back memories from our recent trail ride!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts