German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Kaya I am the safest man on the planet. If a sneeze she's there to check on me. Nobody can approach, 6 ft or I might get covid from them.

And do not growl at me as libby one of my other dogs have learned. Libby gets grumpy. I've ignored it and know it means to leave her alone. Kaya doesn't agree. The first time I saw her fly out to correct libby I didn't know what happened. The second time I saw what led up to it. The first time things were a little bloody. The second time I was able to stop it before anyone was hurt. Every time since I've called Kaya off just as I see her tense.

When I call her off she looks a little sad. I'm happy she's trying to help but I want some say in the matter.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
These are both your own dogs and are they both GSD? I wouldn't have my own dog growl at me for any reason but I sure wouldn't allow one of my dogs to determine when they should attack the other to the point of being "bloody" as you say.

"Every time since I've called Kaya off just as I see her tense. "

And it sounds like it's a somewhat regular occurrence and that could easily turn into Kaya correcting Libby for other reasons when you're not there.

·
Super Moderator
5,128 Posts
my two dogs are not allowed to squabble over me. yes, my big-boy is first in line and my gal-dog will always defer to him. If one of them gets to playing a little rough and the other acts concerned, the games stop for everyone. I'm am "she who must be obeyed". Things rarely get to the point of arguing since I make all the rules.

·
Super Moderator
4,980 Posts
What is the age of these dogs?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kaya is 10 months and Libby is almost 10 years old. Libby is a mixed dog(husky and lab) that I recused about 7 years ago. I only know some of what happened to Libby before she came to me. It seemed like whatever it was scarred her. If anyone even mentions her old name she panics.

I think Kaya wanted to try to correct Libby but not hurt her. This didn't sit well with Libby. From there things escalated quickly. It wasn't a regular occurrence until recently. Getting Bridget, my 9 year GSD spayed seems to have put a lot of stress on Libby. Libby has been really nervous and Kaya seems anxious. Bridget ran the house. She did a lot of this work for me. The dogs have great respect for her. I know I don't speak dog and I'm not even going try to be as good as it as Bridget but I'm still the boss and that's something Kaya is going to have to learn.

I don't think I could ever get Libby to be completely growl free. She use to snap at me when I first adopted her and why they recommended putting her down over me adopted her. The entire adoption had to be off the record. One day she made a huge mess in the house and ran under the bed from me. I stuck my arm towards her and she latched onto it. Then I slowly pulled my arm out with Libby still attached to it. After a moment she just let go of my arm. That was the first time I was able to build a bond with her and she hasn't snapped at me since.

I haven't seen a issue with them playing together. If things do get a little rough they both stop, sneeze and lick each other faces. Kaya is still crated when I'm gone and Libby would never mind being left in room if needed in the future.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
What is it with sneezing when they get riled up or excited. My kids call it the sneeze-attack

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Sounds like the all too familiar 'female-to-female aggression', which is not easy to solve and has to be managed. It already has gotten bloody. It will not change as long as they have the chance.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Huskies are well known for growl like vocalizations that aren't really growls. Rottweilers do it too and they call it the Rottweiler purr. It can appear incredibly savage but it's totally harmless and not based in aggression. I suspect your younger dog is not understanding this foreign (to her) language from the Husky. Misinterpretation of sounds and body language between different breed types is common and sometimes can be problematic.

Don't mistake this bad behavior as "trying to help out". Libby's vocalizations are triggering inappropriate behavior that will most likely escalate as Kaya begins to mature. Don't treat this as a kind gesture on behalf of Kaya. It's not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A short update. Kaya is doing much better with Libby. She still takes a step back and cocks her head when Libby growls. But then she continues to do whatever it was she was up to.

I just think that first time I let things esclate way too far. I thought they would just work it out when things exploded right in front of me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts