German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today there was a pretty big dog fight between Mia and Nadja. I was playing with Nads and Mia came I and when Nads bent down to pick up the toy Mia grabbed her front leg and the whole situation escalated into a pretty bad fight. My mom and I had to scream for my dad to help break them up because we couldn't. My leg got a little too close to Mia's face whil pulling on the dogs and I got bit not once, not twice, but three times and they definitely broke the skin. Thankfully it's not that deep. The girls have gotten into fights before but never to this degree. Nadja's limping but it's getting better, Mia is totally fine. I just don't know what to do. I'm worried that one day Mia's going to pick a fight when Nads is all grown up and will get seriously injured especially since she's not as young as she once was. How can I prevent these fights from happening. We've kept them separated after the fight splitting the time each has in the kennel. I don't want more dogs or people hurt.

·
Super Moderator
7,340 Posts
how old is each dog, what breed is mia?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yikes. Honestly, I think you’re looking at a crate and rotate lifestyle permanently. This kind of thing rarely (never) resolves itself, and your puppy is getting older and coming into herself. With both breeds being know to be pushy and the huge size difference, I really don’t think it’s safe to let them interact anymore, definitely not loose. If you must, keep them leashed and under control. I’d recommend getting a trainer in to assess the situation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Personally, I prefer to not allow aggression between my dogs. If someone needs correcting, I step in. I don’t leave them unattended together.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the advice any aggressive body language or vocalizations are corrected immediately. I will definitely be reading that article

·
Registered
166 Posts
I also do not allow my dogs to interact freely or without supervision. My GSD puppy used to harry my rescue hound/ACD mix who would snarl in the puppy's face.

I also do a lot of training together. At first, it was both do sit etc together. Now I do stay for one and call the other over. Still working on that, it's been weeks.

Thankfully no fights yet, but they don't play together except tug-of-war and my hound always lets the puppy win though he is stronger. But I've witnessed both of them rile up the other. Also, I feed them separately, one at a time while the other is crated.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Put the toys away and only let them have toys when they are separated. Toy fights get ugly. They could still fight but you have removed some of the fuel.

Corgis can be feisty little things. Two of my friends have them with their GSDs and it’s challenging at times. Although usually the Corgis get the worst of it. I worry your situation could get a lot worse when your puppy reaches maturity. You have an older dog who is used to being in charge and a younger one challenging her. It could escalate.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Is Mia starting fights or is she warning the puppy not to get too rough, the puppy gives it back to her and then they fight? I’m asking because my older dog is smaller by 50% and she warns him not to get too close by growling. There were no fights because he always gave in until one day he didn't. Is there growling or a warning sign before the fight or does she attack without notice?

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Thank you for all the advice any aggressive body language or vocalizations are corrected immediately. I will definitely be reading that article
I would use some caution with this. IME, it is not uncommon for the noisy dog to be on the receiving end of the other dog's bullying or aggression. The noise can be an attempt to send the aggressor into avoidance. I would pay more attention to what specifically was going on and what communication was happening before any such event.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I see crate and rotate in your future, where they can never be allowed together..
I hope I’m wrong, but do be prepared for this, just in case.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is Mia starting fights or is she warning the puppy not to get too rough, the puppy gives it back to her and then they fight? I’m asking because my older dog is smaller by 50% and she warns him not to get too close by growling. There were no fights because he always gave in until one day he didn't. Is there growling or a warning sign before the fight or does she attack without notice?
Mia is the one causing the fights generally before a fight Mia stiffens up and raises her head and what would be her tail to show dominance over Nadja she then goes at the pup immediately after.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My two GSD (6 years and 8 months) have progressed into spirited/rough play and occasional growling but so far all in play. When it begins to get too amped up, I step in and end it. Never needed more than works so far. The young one is already bigger but goofy still; not a chance I let him bully my older dog and so far he won't either

1 - 20 of 21 Posts