German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

As you no im new here and recently adopted a dog from Romania. I have had him since the 5th.

First things first is when i first sought to adopt a dog i needed one thats cat friendly due to having a cat (indoor). So the rescue sent me videos of blaze with the cat and he pretty much ignored the cat to sniff about the vet office and i was like! Perfect!

So the first day he arrived and he pretty much ignored her i thought great stuff!

But pretty much since then he has done nothing but fixate on her and chase her around!
He has a leash on at all times and when i cannot monitor them both i tend to lock the cat away in my bedroom (just bigger then a single bed really).

When he fixates i try to gain his attention and if i cant i put him in his crate with a sheet over and leave him to calm down for a cuple minutes. I have done this since he has arrived.

When he has managed to chase the cat on those couple of occasions the cat has swatted him and hissed and he has growled back and tried to bite her.

He is fixated on smaller dogs on the street to and basically reacts to anything that moves. Including leaves that blow in the wind.

Im also feeling very down and depressed since he arrived and dont feel able to bond with him.

I just want to sit in my room on my own. i also have ocd and its rearing its ugly head when i walk him. When ever he pulls i get frustrated and have to have him walk to heal. I know he doesnt no it yet which is why im getting frustrated with myself.

Not sure what to do or how to feel.

Feel like i should be doused in petrol and set alight because i feel like i made a mistake and i dont no what to do

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
You need to find a trainer.

Take a deep breath. He has only been with you a very short while. Find help, now. He is still adjusting and you are asking a lot of dog that has had his entire life flipped upside down.

My dogs are great with my cats, but not other people's. So it may take a bit to get him used to your cat. But he may never. But you need a professional to evaluate the situation and give you solid things to work on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You did not mention the age of the dog in question, however, despite what is commonly portrayed on TV and elsewhere, educating and training a dog is not easy. I have had many dogs! Nearly all of them eventually became unruly with my wife and only behaved when I was there. Even then, there was only so much I could do with certain behaviors, and believe me I tried everything. Some behaviors take a lot of conditioning, which required a lot of patience, time and the right technique. It's not really something that the average person can just do, so definitely don't feel bad.

My current dog, I had professionally trained before we got her. She was boarded at the training facility. This is by FAR the most well behaved dog I've ever owned. She is just a pleasure to have around and even obeys my wife and my little kids.

Take the time to find a good trainer (Not enough can be said about this); preferably one with experience working with therapy dogs and dogs for disabled people. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i will look into that x

What about leash training? When he first arrived he was a perfect loose leash walker which is probably down to his nerves.

When is it reasonable to start leash training loose leash walking? Because every day that goes by he is starting to pull that little bit more.
I also struggle to get his attention on me on any walk. He just is focused on everything else.

Should i let these things go and allow him time to get used to the areas? Am i expecting too much to gain his attention on walks?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok i will look into that x

What about leash training? When he first arrived he was a perfect loose leash walker which is probably down to his nerves.

When is it reasonable to start leash training loose leash walking? Because every day that goes by he is starting to pull that little bit more.
I also struggle to get his attention on me on any walk. He just is focused on everything else.

Should i let these things go and allow him time to get used to the areas? Am i expecting too much to gain his attention on walks?
No, it's not good to let him slide because you feel sorry for him because of his past. It is his present. If you allow him leeway on pulling just a little, it's going to turn into pulling alot. I agree with everyone else when they say to contact a trainer. The trainer will help you to communicate with your dog.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I went back and I saw that you have had the dog since the 5th, right? And before that there was alot of transport to you from Romania. I think you may be expecting too much too soon. Do a forum search about 2 week shutdown, this might help him to settle down. He's been through alot and needs some time to process. That doesn't mean a life time of making excuses for his bad behaviors though. Contact a trainer to help you and do some reading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PS. I have never quite managed to get a dog to heel perfectly on my own. This is what the trainer achieved :eek: It's definitely some of the best money I ever spent.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
As for pulling on lead, I've had success with some with just being a post. As in pulling gets them nothing they want. There were a few walks that took quite a while and went not much of anywhere (so both long in time and short in distance!) Any time we had something happen where they gained distance by pulling this was a set back. This was on a flat collar. They did not have to walk at heel (what's a walk for anyway?) but they found that pulling didn't get them what they wanted. It got a stop.

Can't help you with the cat.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Rosy's post is what I would do. Two week shutdown to just get to know your dog and bond. Show love, caring and simple leadership - build the bond before you ask all these things. It's like pressing a "restart" button and can give you a fresh start.

This boy will end up helping you with your OCD - forever and in the long run- but you have to rein yourself in to make this work. A dog doesn't do compulsive or illogical well unless they have a chance to bond to you with love and no pressure for a couple of weeks. Never give up gentle leadership but do put the dog away and leave for a while if you need to loose it - you know what I mean???

You're going to be ok in this. Just chill a little. Baby steps with a cat. Easier to confine a cat if you need to than a dog that needs to learn about a new home and owner.....:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

I didnt even know about the Two week shutdown period. Literally just read up on it now.

I do agree with everything on it but one small factor. He is very high energy and i only have a small yard and do not think he would cope with no exercise apart from being in the yard. He isnt very toy orientated atm. He has no interest in chase games (unless its the cat lol)

so i would still like to walk him for that alone. I live near the beach and dont come across many people or dogs on walks so thats not an issue.

But shutdown states no real training so should back off leadwork and focusing on me and rather let him absorb the new sights and smells. Let him get used to being on a walk in a new area and once he is settled take up training again. If he does start pulling unbearably i will try standing still till he stops for now.

But he deff needs a way to burn some energy off.

what do you think? x

·
Registered
326 Posts
The problem with walking right now is that pulling is self rewarding. It's kinda like give an inch take a mile. It is better to start training after a bond has started. It might be that he really needs to learn to relax in the house. I'm willing to bet he has NEVER lived in the house before if he was a street dog.

I would try to follow the shutdown as closely as I could. It's only for 2 weeks, he will be ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts