German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been feeding Dutch Orijen large breed since he was 8 weeks old, but he just doesn't seem interested in it anymore. He's 13 weeks now.

His first week or two he would almost literally inhale his food. Since then, he maybe eats half, but not all at once. He'll eat a little bit, walk away, come back and eat a little bit more.

We give him a cup of Orijen in the morning at around 8 am, and a cup for lunch at around 1 pm. Then we give him Nature's Variety raw food at 7pm. The only food he loves is the Nature's Variety. He woofs that down in less than a minute, and still seems hungry afterward.

The other problem is that he hasn't had consistent poop since we got him. He'll have one solid poop, then he'll have still solid, but somewhat soft. Then he'll have runny poop or just mushy poop. Sometimes he'll have solid poop with some runny poop right afterward.

We also give him turkey necks. I'm not sure if that's contributing.

Any help with this would be great. I'm not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You are feeding kibble and raw. The body digests this differently. The runny poos are from the different food you are feeding. Why are you feeding kibble at all?? Just go with straight raw.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
LOL, I was going to say the same earlier today but lost my connection.

I've heard the same thing about feeding kibble and raw at the same time. I would just stick with one or the other. Feed straight kibble or straight raw but not both. If your dog prefers raw - feed just a raw diet.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
He is probably starting to teethe so the eating can be a bit painful right now. I would soak his kibble if you want to keep him on that, and if going raw, stay with softer RMB's(chicken necks and wings) along with the ground or go with a pre-made while he is in his heavy teething period. I think runny poo(and weepy eyes) sometimes goes along with teething. If you are feeding kibble/raw the same meal, it all pushes through together.
Has he had a fecal run? Even if he is clear of parasites one time, he may have a rebound...I would take in a sample to rule out parasites(especially at his age)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Funny, we went the opposite way- loved the Nature's Variety from the start then seemed to get bored so I've added Orijen dry. I think he just couldn't tolerate the raw chicken patties, he simply refused them. I just started giving the Nature's Variety salmon kibble and it's a big hit, so I'm mixing the large breed puppy Orijen with the NV. I confess that during teething I added a bit of half and half in the early morning when I made my coffee. Stosh is one of those drive-by eaters so I had to pick up his food after about 20 mins and not put it down again until his next meal. Otherwise he'd grab a mouthful when he felt like it but never actually eat a meal. It only took about 3 days and a couple of missed meals to get him ready and willing to eat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are feeding kibble and raw. The body digests this differently. The runny poos are from the different food you are feeding. Why are you feeding kibble at all?? Just go with straight raw.
I had been told by people on this board, and by my vet, that a single meal of raw with kibble would be fine. I've noticed that though, that he only gets the runs after he gets his raw (including the turkey necks).

He is probably starting to teethe so the eating can be a bit painful right now. I would soak his kibble if you want to keep him on that, and if going raw, stay with softer RMB's(chicken necks and wings) along with the ground or go with a pre-made while he is in his heavy teething period. I think runny poo(and weepy eyes) sometimes goes along with teething. If you are feeding kibble/raw the same meal, it all pushes through together.
Has he had a fecal run? Even if he is clear of parasites one time, he may have a rebound...I would take in a sample to rule out parasites(especially at his age)
Hmm, we can try soaking kibble again. We did that when he was eight weeks. We haven't fed the two together though. He gets a cup of kibble for breakfast, a cup of kibble for lunch, and then the raw for dinner. He had a fecal run back in like week 10. We could do another, but it came back completely healthy.

Funny, we went the opposite way- loved the Nature's Variety from the start then seemed to get bored so I've added Orijen dry. I think he just couldn't tolerate the raw chicken patties, he simply refused them. I just started giving the Nature's Variety salmon kibble and it's a big hit, so I'm mixing the large breed puppy Orijen with the NV. I confess that during teething I added a bit of half and half in the early morning when I made my coffee. Stosh is one of those drive-by eaters so I had to pick up his food after about 20 mins and not put it down again until his next meal. Otherwise he'd grab a mouthful when he felt like it but never actually eat a meal. It only took about 3 days and a couple of missed meals to get him ready and willing to eat.
Yeah, Dutch is a driveby eater as well. My vet actually said maybe he's ready to ween off lunch completely, and just do breakfast and dinner.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Appreciate it. I just don't think we can afford to go to a completely raw diet. I'd do it but right now things are especially tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts