German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maxwell has been on California Natural Lamb & Rice for about 4 years.
The vet always says he's the picture of health, and he doesn't have issues with bad poop or fecal samples coming back positive for parasites.
He's on Interceptor and Frontline Plus year round, with seemingly good results.

The problem is gas. He's always had it, but the past week or so it's BAD. I mean, room clearing bad & waking us up at night bad. Even Max leaves the room!

Should I try a teaspoon of low-fat yogurt in his meals, or could this be something more serious?
Other than the bad gas, he's seems happy & healthy!

Thanks,
Cindy

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you fed him something different (or in addition) to his food lately? As they get older, like humans, I believe they do start developing more gas problems. I'm not an expert and I'm sure others will chime in with better answers, I hope but I always try to ask the vet and see what they say. My concern would be bloat. Please pay close attention. If he's passing gas, that's great. My concern is if one day he can't pass the gas. Not familiar with California Natural but are they grain free or what type of grains are in it? Maybe there is something there that could be giving him gas (or treats that you might be giving him)? Sorry I'm not much help but I just wanted to bring out the concern about bloat.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bloat is a good thought. We do limit his water during eating, and try not to let him be too active right after. He's half Dobie so I know bloat is a concern. We haven't fed him anything different.

this is what we buy:

Ingredients California natural Lamb meal & rice adult kibble.

Click on an ingredient to learn more.

Lamb Meal

Brown Rice

Rice

Sunflower Oil

Natural Flavors
Natural flavors are flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.

Potassium Chloride
A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Vitamins/Minerals

Taurine
Taurine is an essential amino acid required by cats.

Rosemary Extract
Rosemary is an evergreen shrub of Rosemarinus Officinalis.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My vet has a website and here is what they had to say about gas (excessive)....

Intestinal gas is just a natural part of digestion, after all, however funny we humans may find it.

A wind walker: Exercise helps move everything along the digestive tract and out the back door. Just remember to stay upwind and pick up after your pet.

Watch what you feed: Consider a change of diet. While gas is a normal byproduct of digestion, if your pet is gassy as a blimp, his diet may need some adjustments. Talk to your veterinarian not only about your pet's regular meals, but also about any between-meal snacks he is enjoying, whether you're handing them out or he's finding them himself.
Say "know" to supplements: Supplements are a mixed bag: Some may increase gas, while others may aid digestion. Again, your veterinarian can help you sort out the choices and their pros and cons. One supplement that may well help is the introduction of beneficial bacteria -- probiotics -- that help with digestion.

Fast eaters and short faces mean more gas: Not only do wolfers swallow air when they inhale their food, but they often overeat as well, backing up the digestive system. Several companies make bowls designed to slow down gulpers. You can also toss the bowl and feed from food puzzles -- toys that make a pet work to get food a little bit at a time.

Some veterinarians and grateful pet owners also swear by a product called CurTail. The same as Beano for people, this anti-gas product contains an enzyme that helps break down food, so that it can be digested more fully with more internal combustion and less, shall we say, external combustion.

While we sometimes laugh when the dog passes gas, some top veterinarians caution that sometimes peculiar, persistent smells are more than meets the nose. In fact, sometimes underlying medical problems can generate those nasty gasses that are more like tear gas than laughing gas.

That means that if the situation is beyond the occasional toot session, the odors are especially noxious -- yes, I realize it's relative -- and the strategies I've shared seem not to help at all, you need to get your pet in for a veterinary checkup. There may be something more serious going on.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I can't feed my dogs lamb at all. The gas is terrible. I would find a different food. We fed lamb and rice for years and we had one dog(lab) that always had terrible gas. Once we got the shepherds we found out real quick no lamb. I give probiotics and not matter what if I feed them lamb it is guaranteed gas.. so it sounds like you dog may be having the same problem as ours did on lamb products..so maybe try a food with another main ingredient but as mentioned before if it still persists then go see a vet about it. I also keep something with simethicone in it on hand (Gas X) just in case.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I would suggest the following, cut back the dogs food by 1/4 - 1/2 cup and see if that helps, if it doesn't either switch foods or use Bac Pak Plus, that will stop the gas for sure.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info! I'll try the suggestions : )

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
4 years is a long time to be on the same food. I haven't fed kibble in years, but when I did I changed brands periodically. Lamb is now being considered as one of the meats that dogs can have problems with, especially if fed over time, so I'd find another quality food which doesn't have this as an ingredient. If the gas persists, you could try adding a probiotic ( I use Garden of Life's Primal Defense, you can buy it at most health stores.)

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'll try the suggestions : )
I just noticed you live in Bucks County. Try Annamaet, particularly Encore, Option or the New GF's if you think your dog has sensitivities.

Annamaet is a superior food and is widely available where you live. Cutters Mill has been selling it from the begining.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just noticed you live in Bucks County. Try Annamaet, particularly Encore, Option or the New GF's if you think your dog has sensitivities.

Annamaet is a superior food and is widely available where you live. Cutters Mill has been selling it from the begining.
Just looked it up. There is a boarder in my town we use that carries it!
I'll check into it.
thanks again.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Picked up a bag at the local farmer's market this weekend.
Making the change now .... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts