German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<start rant>

This pisses me off. I was watching TV and a commercial for a used car lot comes on. It shows a guy sitting on a porch with a GSD and another guy walks up says"hey dave, does your dog bite?" Dave says "no" and the guy tries to pet the dog. They add in sound effects of a dog snarling and such and the guy jerks his hand back and says "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite" to which the Dave says "This isn't my dog."

Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this, but it angers me when people intentionally do things to make a dog appear aggressive and it just feeds into some people's ignorance that certain breeds are vicious dogs. I know it's just a commercial and they weren't saying GSD's are vicious, but to other people who already have these preconceived notions it just affirms their false beliefs. It's ignorance like that that leads to breed bans and breed specific legislation and it just chaps my ass.

I'll step down off my soapbox now.

<end rant>

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It is true.. there are too many wrong portrayals of GSD's to give them a bad rep.. I have not seen the commercial myself but I agree .. If they were trying to be funny, then they should of used a smaller breed. or a cat that growled like a lion.... not a breed, that most people that are not familiar with, would take as an actual portrayal. I have seen GSD's shown as the guard dog, the aggressive dog, etc.. but rarely have I seen a GSD as they truly are.... loyal, sweet, intelligent, etc.. I have four of them and the one thing that really gets to me is when people look at them like they would if they saw that commercial.. scared that the dog would growl or bite at them.. My guys snore, they play and they love everyone.. I have seen other dogs in my neighbourhood that are vicious and they are no way near the size of my guys.. but I am sure that if another dog attacked mine, mine would be blamed because of the ignorance of people and of course the advertising that shows them in this manner.. Sorry.. now I am ranting..lol.. I bet the advertisers are not GSD owners..lol.. If it was one of my guys and a guy tried to pet them, they would probably turn around and expect a butt scratch..lol..

·
Registered
521 Posts
I completely agree. This kind of marketing just makes people more ignorant and stupid.

TV usually misleads rather than educates. Too bad. But our job as GSD owners is to educate as much as we can. That's our job and we do it **** well.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Stupid commercial!

Kenya's breeder sent me a vid once. One of her dogs was used in a commercial. I don't remember what it was for, but in the commercial a guy put a cookie in his mouth and then let the GSD eat it at the same time. The commercial was saying doing something (probably buying the competitor's product) was as dumb as sharing your cookie with a German Shepherd. Grrrr!

·
Registered
31,833 Posts
I had my dogs at the Boston Market today. Dinner after grooming, I share with the dogs. Anyway, there would be a wait of ten minutes so I had a quick training session with the dogs outside.

I came back in and the one gal commented on how nice the dogs were, the other girl asked me what kind they were. I told her and she said, "oh, but they CAN be MEAN, can't they?"

I said "any dog can be mean and bite, it depends on what you do with them." I proceeded to tell them about CGC tests and the training I have done with the. The girl that asked about GSDs being mean proceded to tell me about their JRT who WAS mean, and told me all about how he was mean.

Ya know, maybe it IS BETTER if SOME people DO believe that our dogs ARE mean. Then THEY will not go out and purchase one and ruin it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This is an old joke actually that came from the Pink Panther show years ago. In the show Peter Sellers asks a guy in a store if his dog bites to which the store guy states no. Then Sellers attempts to pet the dog and the dog bites him. When Sellers says to the store guy "I thought you said your dog does not bite?" The guy says "that is not my dog." It was pretty funny with the French accents. Seems the commercial was just playing on an old scene from the Pink Panther.

Cherri

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
INHO, GSD' s don't need to be portrayed as a vicious dog .. there is enough on Police shows to get the point across.. Most people are naturally afraid of the breed, the ones that don't bother to really look into it, believe that this breed is just about that.. being mean... I would rather have people look at GSD's as intelligent, and loyal etc. than just a dog that growls.. Most people that have no idea of the breed would go and purchase a GSD simply because they like the fact that this "breed" would guard them only... not to show them, or train them.. I am pretty sure that most of the population would look at a GSD and probably say to themselves..
"yikes... that is one mean looking dog, I wouldn't mess with him" do we really need commercials and poor representation to get that point across?? The one thing that I can honestly say is that the world is filled with too many bad dog owners that do not take any responsiblity for their dogs.. That is in any breed.. It is sad but true.. At least the people that are here, know their breed and take the responsiblity of owning a breed that is worth working for. I have to say that education is the best way.. Now don't get me wrong.. I like the fact that some people are intimidated by my guys and the security is nice to have but I want to have a dog that can be socialized when I want them to be and not have anyone shy away from fear from what they think they know about the breed.. I think the look of them says it all.. That is why we have wonderful breeders that will look into the new homes and the people that are purchasing a GSD.. I just feel bad for the ones that go to homes just to be guard dogs when there is so much more to offer.. I still think it would of been funny with another type of animal growling though....lol.. It must of been nice to educate that person at the Boston Market.. be proud that you were able to let this person know that even though your dog might look mean.. it is only mean when told to... that will give anyone food for thought...

·
Registered
31,833 Posts
Oh, I don't know, yes we baby our dogs and train them and socialize them and snuggle on the couch with them, but working dogs that are raised as working dogs don't think another thing of "just being a guard dog." So long as they are getting good food and some training and fresh water, they are probably perfectly happy to patrol their territory and disuade would-be theives from breaking in.

I think the danger lies in the guard-dog-Ferdinand. Ferdinand (sp.) was a children's book about a bull in spain that did not want to fight but wanted to smell the fowers, etc. I think that people who buy a GSD for its guarding ability, generally have no complaints. The dogs are generally loyal to their people only and are willing to guard without too much encouragement. The ones (like my Rushie) who are just so happy to see people -- any person for that matter, could get into big trouble with the owner. Some of the owners will beat and starve and chain the animal to make it mean. That, I cannot stand. I do not mind chaining, so long as it is done to protect the dog for a portion of a day. But there are people who can make it a viscious tool.

If someone wants a Guard dog, no problem, so long as they do it properly.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I know that my guys are different when we are not around and to be honest, we went out for alittle while during the day and when we got home, (our guys are inside when we are gone) , the gate was swung open, the blinds were all over the place... I said to my husband that someone must of come up close to the house for the dogs to react that way.. Lo and behold, we found out the next day that the neighbour directly across from us, was broken into.. during the day.. we think that the thieves probably thought about coming here and heard and saw the dogs and decided not a good idea .. I love the security that our guys give us.. They are very loyal and they do "guard" the house when we are not there.. I know how some irresponsible dog owners "train" their dogs to be "guard" dogs and I find it disgusting.. I absolutely agree with you.. if you want a guard dog.. do it the right way and for the right reasons..

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Maybe I take things to lightly but I'm thinking perhaps it was just a commercial that was playing off a scene from a movie and they just *happened* to have used a GSD for the dog instead of the wire-haired dachshund looking thing in the movie.

There's also a joke like this only the dog is a hound.

I mean I get what your saying, but by the way you see it this could potentially be damaging to any breed that is depicted as a biting dog on tv.

From the way I see it, it's just another dumb commercial that I TIVO through anyways.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts