German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put down a deposit on a female puppy from what looks to be a great litter! I've been speaking with the breeder and based on both email and phone conversations, I'm confident that she's a good match. She's about 5-6 hour drive away from me, but I'll be going up there in mid-February to see her place, meet her dogs, and these fluffy puppies! (They were born on Jan 6th.)

I know I'll have lots of questions before I even pick her up...plus tons more questions after she comes home at 8 or 9 weeks. I can't wait to meet her and have pictures to share.

In the meantime, here's a link to the info on the dam and sire, their pedigrees and all that jazz. :grin2:

Tina and Hilton puppies

SO much to do before she comes home. This is going to be one of those phases in life where time crawls and flies by!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Congratulations! The wait will be difficult, but like you said, on the other hand it'll fly by...all the prep for a new puppy and all! My advice, get lots of sleep now LOL! And show us pictures when you can!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

My husband is a little bemused. He'd have been happy with a GSD mix from a shelter...but he loves me and occasionally spoils me by letting me get something extravagant. I will, however, be working hard to train her and show the worth of a well-bred GSD.

:halogsd:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats, we are talking to a local breeder that I have been following for a few months about a litter born just after yours, very early morning (like 1:30 am) on the 7th, lol.

I am personally not ready to put the deposit down at this time, but I will be following your experiences. Congrats again...

·
Registered
307 Posts
You're doing much better to get a GSD from a breeder- I love the idea of shelter dog adoption but I also have loved raising a puppy and controlling its environment during formative years. If you get a well-bred pup, spending money up front can save money later.

Yes, enjoy sleeping in if you can. Get your supplies. Read the puppy threads. Figure out your puppy schedule.

And then... enjoy the process of raising a GSD! They are great dogs!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congrats. My suggestion is...do all the things you want to do, now...like travelling, or getting that kitchen counter changed, or even reading that book you've always wanted to read, or etc etc etc. Once that dog comes, all time, efforts, and focus will be on that pup. Like someone above said, get as much sleep as you can also.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Exactly what @tc68 said - I haven't been able to pry my husband away from his baby the last 1.5 years save for one long weekend and we board at his trainer's who he loves attending training with. We tend to go home immediately after work to be sure there is time for doggy exercise and enrichment. Hubby also takes him along and forces him on friends and family during social outings. And to think I bought this pup for myself as my old protection dog was aging out and hubby only tolerated my dogs before. I have been puppy-jacked.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been ten years since I last brought a puppy into the house...but I do remember how much of a time and energy drain they can be. Of course, it's probably a lot like childbirth, too....we can remember that there was pain, but we don't really REMEMBER the pain. LOL I've also born and raised three kids, so I'm familiar with the commitments involved.

I'm confident that I can handle it all...but at the same time, I'm finding myself as nervous as a complete newb that had a puppy dropped in their lap with no warning or prep beforehand.

Since everyone else has school or work to go to every day, and I work from home....I'm not too worried about being puppy-jacked. :p But I also feel the full pressure of "getting it right".

It's kind of a delicious blend of being very excited and downright scared. Got a long two months ahead...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gentle, stern, and loving. You can do it! Congrats on the new puppy.

Also, patient, lol. Very, very patient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts