German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally got to the bottom of Ellie’s limp, Ellie had a fractured coronoid process (FCP). She had arthroscopic surgery almost three weeks ago, they removed a big chunk of bone that was floating around her elbow poor thing. I debated posting this because I didn’t want any negative stigma with my breeder who has been nothing but supportive and helpful from day one and all the way through this, but lots of reading and speaking to lots of people even the healthiest of dogs can throw health issues, if it even was hereditary. I can place her limp back to a nasty collision with my other dog. I would buy another dog in a second from where I got Ellie. This has hands down been the absolute hardest part of raising a wlgsd. I would rather respond to every puppy biting thread for a year than trying to crate rest Ellie. She was on some heavy meds initially that helped but since she’s been off, oh boy.. the physiotherapist after her assessment said “you’ve got a lot there eh” lol. I’ve tried so much mental stuff but it just doesn’t replace everything Ellie did pre-surgery.. we are very active, I’m not a pro trainer nor do I officially work my dog but my dogs go, a lot, every day. I worry all the behavioural issues popping up due to lack of stimulation will stay or root with her, but I’m doing the best I can. I’m finally allowed to walk her 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes which is awesome, I pair them with raw bones after to try and give her some outlet.. I’ve started tracking-ish with scent pads and just added a few steps as this can be done on leash and she walks though it so this has been fun. She’s going through all the physio starting soon, hydrotherapy, underwater treadmill and laser and I believe she went to the best clinic in the province so although I’m bummed out that this happened, I’m hoping we will get back to where we were at some point, and develop her as planned. Just thought I’d share why the lack of over glorified pet training questions and pictures may of slowed lol.
Dog Window Vehicle Carnivore Car
Sewing Fluid Wood Sewing machine Household appliance accessory
Dog Dog breed Comfort Carnivore Grey

·
Registered
209 Posts
I’m sorry to hear this! I definitely sympathize with your conundrum of how to keep Ellie working when her body needs to heal. Scent work sounds smart, and water therapy too. Do you have access to a pool? I’m thinking swimming could be a good outlet. Then there are those “brain games” toys (but GSDs tend to solve them pretty quick / fling them out of frustration until they crack open) Will let you know if I have other ideas.

Also, this part made me lol, so thank you for that:

I would rather respond to every puppy biting thread for a year than trying to crate rest Ellie.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry to hear this! I definitely sympathize with your conundrum of how to keep Ellie working when her body needs to heal. Scent work sounds smart, and water therapy too. Do you have access to a pool? I’m thinking swimming could be a good outlet. Then there are those “brain games” toys (but GSDs tend to solve them pretty quick / fling them out of frustration until they crack open) Will let you know if I have other ideas.

Also, this part made me lol, so thank you for that:
I do actually, my first question but they’ve asked me to wait a couple more weeks before I can let her in our pool leashed.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Poor Ellie! And poor you.
Our rottie had both ACLs done within 4 years of each other and my mom’s heeler had his ACL done last week, so I can absolutely commiserate with trying to keep these guys chilled for literal months on end. In both my cases it is a result of horrible BYB genetics.
Things happen - Zeppelin came from a supposed healthy line of dogs but yet he has allergy issues. I would also get another dog from my breeder in a heartbeat, because Zepp is a fantastic dog otherwise.

Wishing you and Ellie the best in her recovery going forward!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poor Ellie! And poor you.
Our rottie had both ACLs done within 4 years of each other and my mom’s heeler had his ACL done last week, so I can absolutely commiserate with trying to keep these guys chilled for literal months on end. In both my cases it is a result of horrible BYB genetics.
Things happen - Zeppelin came from a supposed healthy line of dogs but yet he has allergy issues. I would also get another dog from my breeder in a heartbeat, because Zepp is a fantastic dog otherwise.

Wishing you and Ellie the best in her recovery going forward!
Thank you, I knew going into it would be tough, but I just feel so terrible for Ellie, she just wants to go.. but hopefully she bounces back when it’s time.. which feels like years away

·
Registered
33,943 Posts
Oh man...that sucks. what's her prognosis? is there any damage done by the fractured bone to cartilage? Is it going to affect her ortho readings? our TD had a really nice dog that didn't pass orthos because of an elbow fracture. If you need to keep her quiet, trazadone works for some dogs. but it can also increase anxiety and aggression....Faren tried to bite me twice within 2 days of starting it. Seger has done fine on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,484 Posts
Wow. I can't even imagine trying to keep her calm.There's no way to explain to her that it's in her best interest. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Carter Smith

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh man I sympathize with trying to keep a dog like this from being bored when she can't be active. My first shepherd had to have surgery for a dislocated hip when he was about two. I didn't know enough about how to engage him mentally. He had lots of love and attention but ended up with a lick granuloma on his hip. I'm sure boredom from being crated for so long was a big part of the reason. We never did completely get rid of the granuloma.
Now I'm dealing with my 8 year old having hip dysplasia. She injured her hip a little more than a week ago by doing a small jump. She's getting better and the limp is gone now, but we had a couple of set backs because it's so hard to keep her from running. They just don't know how to slow down and want to go, go, go, even when they shouldn't ... especially when they are young like yours is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think train your gsd in akc scent do it as a fun family activity around your house or backyard, can buy the four oil essential birch, ainslie, clove and cypress I think it will really help your gsd use its mind during its recovery rest period from surgery. I think working line gsd really love scent work as well

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
7,359 Posts
Oh man. I'm sorry you guys are going through this. It sounds like you are making the best of things. The pool will help a lot when you get the go ahead.

I wouldn't worry about lasting temperamental effects. Dogs are resilient and Ellie is a tough girl.

Best of luck to you both.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man...that sucks. what's her prognosis? is there any damage done by the fractured bone to cartilage? Is it going to affect her ortho readings? our TD had a really nice dog that didn't pass orthos because of an elbow fracture. If you need to keep her quiet, trazadone works for some dogs. but it can also increase anxiety and aggression....Faren tried to bite me twice within 2 days of starting it. Seger has done fine on it.
No one seems to give me a straight answer on prognosis.. every dog is different is what they say, surgeon said there was some minor damage done to the cartilage when they went in but it didn’t change her recovery or anything, I see the surgeon in a week or two for a recheck, physio thinks she’ll be running and jumping again at some point. She was on trazadone for two weeks, she was fine.. but but when she came off it, oh my goodness bat out of.. I called vet and asked if she needed to be weaned. I don’t want to keep her on it if i don’t absolutely have to, don't like those mood drugs.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man I sympathize with trying to keep a dog like this from being bored when she can't be active. My first shepherd had to have surgery for a dislocated hip when he was about two. I didn't know enough about how to engage him mentally. He had lots of love and attention but ended up with a lick granuloma on his hip. I'm sure boredom from being crated for so long was a big part of the reason. We never did completely get rid of the granuloma.
Now I'm dealing with my 8 year old having hip dysplasia. She injured her hip a little more than a week ago by doing a small jump. She's getting better and the limp is gone now, but we had a couple of set backs because it's so hard to keep her from running. They just don't know how to slow down and want to go, go, go, even when they shouldn't ... especially when they are young like yours is.
Ya it really is tough keeping them quiet, and they don’t get it so you can’t reason with them.. just hope the quiet time is done soon and they forget

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think train your gsd in akc scent do it as a fun family activity around your house or backyard, can buy the four oil essential birch, ainslie, clove and cypress I think it will really help your gsd use its mind during its recovery rest period from surgery. I think working line gsd really love scent work as well
Absolutely, she definitely does.. she’s even better at it when she doesn’t have a Burning desire to run for a week straight lol.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh man. I'm sorry you guys are going through this. It sounds like you are making the best of things. The pool will help a lot when you get the go ahead.

I wouldn't worry about lasting temperamental effects. Dogs are resilient and Ellie is a tough girl.

Best of luck to you both.
Thanks David, she’s too tough :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Glad she is on road to recovery. My friends young mastiff had fcp and had elbow dysplasia surgery removing that floating chunk. Mastiffs are not so active he seemed super mellow more then most but was a young and needed to be kept busy she would teach him the names of few toys layed out in front of him within reach and she would say the name he would grab it. This could be made into a more challenging game with many different toys layed out and names. Just another idea to work the brain I thought was good. Swimming is the best thing for the joints and for healing so good for preventing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts