German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my girl is almost 5 and a half months old (will be 5 and a half on Sunday), and since she was brought home she has been "kennel" trained, and I don't use an actual Kennel its just an X-Pen, as I thought it would be better as it would give her more room, and was a dual use when I either A) Needed to get things done around the house or B)Do my work ( I work from home) so I needed a large enough space to let her play but in a confined space as she wouldn't destroy stuff and help with potty training... Well she hasn't really used it in about a month and a half - 2 months, she has never chewed anything that wasn't hers, she has been potty trained forever, and the only time that she actually uses it now is when I need to go out somewhere that she cannot go. But the last few times she was able to either jump on it or whatever and was able to completely knock it down and obviously get out of it. Now all she does when she does get out of it is go to her favorite sleeping spot and has not gotten into anything like usual.

So my question is... should I just get rid of it all together? Or should I "trade it in" for an actual Kennel? Or should I just get a baby gate to gate off the one room that she is not allowed in (cant close the door because for whatever reason the room gets freezing cold when the door is shut and its my 10 month old nephews room so cant do that, but she cant go in their either) Do you think that because she is used to the X-Pen that she would be ok with a transition to a Kennel (whenever I need her to go into the X-Pen I say "Kennel" and she hops right in and lays down)?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would get a crate. For a couple reasons, I think all dogs should be used to a crate, you never know when one will 'have' to crate their dog and this way they'll be used to one vs just throwing them in something they've never been in before.

Even tho she hasn't destroyed anything in the house when no one's around, doesn't mean it won't happen, she's still pretty young, altho I've had young dogs alone in the house BUT they've also had older dogs loose with them.

There's all kinds of mischief one can get into , my biggest thing is eating something they shouldn't can = obstruction, and/or gnawing on some electrical cords.

My suggestion, get a big crate:)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get a crate. For a couple reasons, I think all dogs should be used to a crate, you never know when one will 'have' to crate their dog and this way they'll be used to one vs just throwing them in something they've never been in before.

Even tho she hasn't destroyed anything in the house when no one's around, doesn't mean it won't happen, she's still pretty young, altho I've had young dogs alone in the house BUT they've also had older dogs loose with them.

There's all kinds of mischief one can get into , my biggest thing is eating something they shouldn't can = obstruction, and/or gnawing on some electrical cords.

My suggestion, get a big crate:)
Thats what Ive been thinking.. Do you think it would be an easier transition if I buy a wire crate? I would prefer to get a plastic (airline approved) Kennel because I will need one eventually when I have to move back to Ontario, or the States due to my work. But I dont know if she would be ok with the plastic one or if I will have to "re-crate train" her

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Personally I like collapseable wire ones (ones that fold down flat easy to move).

Many use the plastic ones, but I've found with mine anyway, they tend to get 'hot' in warm weather, tho lighter, take up to much space AND my dogs used to get car sick in them for whatever reason, the wire ones mine have always done fine with. I like having more air circulation and gives them more vision area.

Look on craigslist you can sometimes find crates pretty cheap

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I use the plastic type kennels for traveling only. Wire kennels for household use.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like...

I use the plastic type kennels for traveling only. Wire kennels for household use.
...wire, collapsible kennels too. We never leave the dog unsupervised in the house outside the kennel for all the reasons mentioned below.

However, at night we leave him out of the kennel and allow him to roam to alert bark, as necessary. But our bedroom door is always open so he feels we're supervising him.

He chews up things otherwise.

LF

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If she is nondestructive I would leave her out of a crate when you're gone. It's much more comfortable for her.

I understand the theory behind crate training every dog but my first dog was never crate trained and had numerous surgeries (so she had to be kenneled at the vet) and did fine. My other dogs and foster dogs were all crate trained but loose once I could trust them in the house.

My dogs are spot or bed trained so I can take them anywhere and when I put down a bed (even a towel) they lie on it. That has worked fine for us. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts