German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 month old female GSD. I've had her since she was a pup and noticed that her ears are laid back most of the time. Even when I call her, she comes to me with her ears laid back and stands at my feet with her head lowered a little. Also, what is some good play exercises? I know stuff like fetch. I just feel like she doesnt get the attention she deserves, no matter what I do. I guess that's a good dog owner though, always worrying if you're giving your dog enough attention or if they have enough toys. Lol but any tips is beyond useful, this is my first GSD & I worry if I am doing everything right!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
When she comes to you when you call her do you give treats or praise? Are you in any training classes?
Now that she's done teething, I'd play tug with her. Get a good two handle tug or ball on string. Tug play builds confidence(let her win) and most dogs love to tug. That will also carry over as a training reward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are concerned about her ears I would contact your breeder they usually have ways to raise them if she cannot. As to play ideas you really need to see what your dog likes. Don't be afraid to experiment. Our dog goes nuts when you move your hands quickly under the covers in bed, or if you get her a hollow bone and fill it with peanut butter it gives her something to do, play chase, play frisbee, mostly just anything you do your pup will like as long as you are giving her attention! Don't worry I'm sure you are doing fine!

·
Registered
169 Posts
My girl Luna had a similar demeanor as you describe. So incredibly sweet but kind of shy and unsure of things and always had flattened ears. You could also look into agility classes at some point, also to build confidence.

Other games to play.... Hide a toy and have her find it. Start off easy and increase difficulty as she gets better. Flirt pole is good too!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
Aw, she is super submissive! I am assuming her ears are erect, but she lays them back on purpose, right? My girl is sweet like that, too. But I understand, it shouldn't be their demeanor all the time!

Now the advice has turned 180 degrees....walk her on a loose leash and let her explore. Doubtful she lunges, right?

Also, kinda goes without saying, but I'll say it: never ask your dog to come and receive a negative response from you. But sounds like that isnt' it...

Lots of play and patience. Lots of socialization. Talk to her encouragingly with key words. Work on eye focus on you (reward that). Reward everytime she shows confidence and lifts her head while walking or playing.

She's not fearful of things, is she? If so, then my next advice would be to never, never leave a fearful situation (unless you need to for anyone's or any dog's safety). Put her in a sit, and when she calms down or shows confidence/relaxes, reward it. Then move on.

I stop Myah in front of every possible trigger: loud streets, banging noises, barking dogs, you name it. We just sit and "chill out" and when she relaxes, I reward her and we casually move on, like no big deal.

She'll get it. She'll grow into her own.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually her ears are laid back most of the time around the house but on walks she is very alert! It's hard to find games to play with her because she isn't a ball of energy like a normal pup. She is "chilled", she doesnt run full speed when we play fetch she just kind of jogs. Not really the running type I dont guess. Lol Also, we are in training! Actually when we are walkimg she handles loud noises extremely well. Cars does noy bother her, if a dog is barking she becomes alert and looks their way but then goes right om walking. Also, there is a few "bad" people in my neighborhood so she is really alert when people are around. She must feel me uneasy while we are on walks so she stays alert, but when someone comes around it's like her head goes up, her ears goes and she is really checking them out. Sometimes she will even stop and stare at them for a couple of seconds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts