German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably going to sound like a really stupid problem. We have always let our dogs sleep with us in our bed and I really love it, especially Heidi. I love resting my feet on her and having her wake me up with sweet little kisses like she always does. I've been diagnosed a while back with a muscle disease called Polymyalgia, and although it isn't serious, you don't die from it, it is chronic and causes me a lot of pain, especially at night. I am realizing more and more that I can't sleep with a dog in the bed anymore. I need to be able to stretch out my legs and cannot sleep at a funny angle. I am getting hardly any sleep and then feeling awful the next day. Last night I laid awake for three hours. If there is no dog on the bed, I sleep much better. Heidi is 12 today and she has slept with us since she was a puppy. I have to lift her up on the bed now and she comes and whines when she wants me to. I just hate, at this point in her life, to start a new rule "no dogs on the bed," but I just can't get any sleep. I know this is silly, but I am feeling really guilty.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I move a lot in my sleep, if Lakota is in the way she moves. All of my dog's beds are around my bed and they all sleep in their own beds. I allow her to sleep on the bed in the mornings but not all night.
A lot of times when we go to bed she jumps up and we cuddle then I tell her to go to bed and she does get off.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
:cake: HAPPY 12th BIRTHDAY HEIDI!!!

I agree with you that since your health issues are exacerbated by allowing Heidi to sleep with you, that as sad as it is, you have to do what's best for you (which in reality will also be in her best interests too). I agree that you should buy her a super comfortable bed and put it next to your bed and teach her to use it.

BEST WISHES!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could look at garage sales/used children's supply stores for a crib. Keep the side closest to your bed down and have the mattress raised to the height of your bed. She'll be comfy, you'll get sleep and she'll e right next to you. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why not get a twin bed and set it up next to your bed? I'm not sure if your room has room, but that what we did when my daughter was little and slept with us. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Something like this may be a solution?

My daughter had a "co sleeper" for her babies when they were first born and I just googled dog co sleeper and found something.

Co-Sleeper Arms-Reach Dog Bunk Bed

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oooh, I like the co-sleeper. Not sure if we have room for it though. Thanks.

Last night I told Heidi to go to her own bed. Instead, she slept on the cold, hard floor at the foot of our bed (she always was a bit of a martyr). I felt bad, so maybe I will squeeze her dog bed in that space. I did get a pretty good night's sleep for the first time in a long while!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts