German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find I can't sit on the floor with my pup without him going a little nuts with the biting and growling, I mean latching on to the nearest body part and doing a full head shake, he even made me bleed recently, not a major scar, but still... As soon as I stand up and directly over him he quiets down and sits obediently. Is this just play or does he see me as "equal" when I'm down on the floor with him, thus wanting to challenge me?

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Re: I can't sit on the floor without him...

Have you ever done training with him on that level? I don't see it as a challenge, more likely just play. We often conduct all our training upright and almost businesslike. I think it's important to do obedience from various positions and with various tones of voice. I expect to be able to sit cross-legged on the ground and whisper "platz" and have it obeyed just as much as if I stand up straight and sharply bark out the command.

If you get down on the floor just for playtime and nothing else, any pup will learn that you on the floor = Wrestlemania. I think doing some floor-level obedience will help teach the pup that you on the floor can mean anything, just like you standing up.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Makes a lot of sense Diana, I really haven't practiced any obedience from a sit position but I'll start tonight. I think he views that as the one window where all bars are off and he can have at it with no limits.

·
Super Moderator
32,101 Posts

I think Diana is right. I did a lot of training with mine while I was sitting in a chair, and even on the floor when they were puppies. It was just easier on me when they were smaller, and I also think it's a good idea to generalize training by varying the time, place, and circumstances. He needs to know that sit means sit whether you're standing in front of him, sitting on the ground, or laying in bed.

I'd train from my office chair when I got home from work, and sitting on the living room floor in the evening while we watched TV. Actually when they were really little I probably did MORE training with them sitting on the floor than I did standing, so I didn't have to bend down to reward them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine is the same....at 8 months. ;(

If I'm on the floor, i'm dead meat. Two obedience classes later...

My wife still gets the brunt of it regardless where she is. We just put up with it. No idea what to do anymore. Private trainer might be the next option.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wrenny, how's the trainer in Chesterland working out?

John, though it wasn't my intention, I think he is trying to push me in that direction. I personally would be happy with a CGC title with the possibility of pursuing advanced OB or BH.

CM, as usual, I thank you for your doggy wisdom

I tried working with him on the floor last night but it's gong to take some time. He understands "calm down" some what and I can sort of scratch his cheeks but then he does a side snap and catches my wrist.

Another pressing problem is retraining him to use one spot in the yard, he was doing excellent until that big #[email protected]! snow storm blew in and dumped knee deep snow everywhere. He started using it right at the front of the door because that's as far as I could walk him, now since the snow is mostly gone he's begun "dotting his I's" all over the place (stop dump, stop dump). Back to the leash until we get things back to perfect.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey Bluewolf
Have you ever taken him out in the pouring rain it's pouring cats and dog's You know he has to go but he is just fooling around minding everything else except what he is out their to do and your out their in a raincoat with an umbrella??? LOL Then you start to loose your patience and yank the leash and tell him tend to your business please and he does tend to his business more fooling around. Then finally a half hour later when your totally soacked he FINALLY does his business and he heads back to the house like that is just the way it's supposed to be wagging his tail.

Any way try using Natures Miracle it comes in a spray bottle spray it on the area you don't want to him go on it helps eliminate the scent. I just had to use it in the house when he had a mistake but it can be used outside also a couple of times I used it on the lawn.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...yes yes, the rain bit, been there, done that, nearly had to stake a tent in the backyard and wait for him to go, LOL. Thanks for that tip about NM - I think I would need a gallon of the stuff though LOL. Luckily I can get gallons of white vinegar for cheap. He's become really fixated on this one large pile of slowly melting snow about 4 feet high, he'll do his business at the base of it, run to the top and then pose there like he's proud of himself or something

·
Registered
656 Posts
Training is going good. He's great at that. He just has his fits and I'm sure its just pent up frustration for not getting exercised. I know the weather shouldn't be to blame but man it was the nasiest I've seen in a long time!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: wrenny I know the weather shouldn't be to blame but man it was the nasiest I've seen in a long time!
This winter has sucked! You're not alone. There were days that I just sat there and watched Diesel spontaneously combust. For next winter I will have a dog treadmill.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Luckily we live in Texas so we are able to take him out 24/7 365. However, that does not stop the little guy (5 mos. old) from wanting to make out with you every time you sit next to him. I just ignore him when he gets too excited. He is still teething so my hands and ankles look like I was in a fight with Edward Scissorhands...
However, it is painful, blood sometimes....scars, etc., however, I have hope that is will end soon as he matures...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts