German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lexi is about 9 months old and about 80-85lbs. I'm a big guy but I am really struggling to get her nails trimmed. She goes crazy when I even come near her with the nail clippers and holding her down results in a lot of squirming and whimpering. The only way I've been able to come close to getting them trimmed is in the bathtub with her leashed to the washrag holder. She doesn't have a lot of room to squirm but continuously pulls her paws away no matter how hard I try to hold on. Last night I managed to get 3 nails trimmed and the 3rd one she jerked on which resulted in me getting into the quick and her bleeding for a while.

Does anyone have any techniques outside of taking her to the vet? She's never been aggressive towards me, she just whines and squirms.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My male was like that the 1st time. I did the pack leader thing. I grabbed him by the collar, shook the heck out of him, and growled while doing it. Got them cut. After a few more trimmings, it's now no problem

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Quote: I grabbed him by the collar, shook the heck out of him, and growled while doing it.
This is a FANTASTIC method for getting yourself mauled in the face by a freaked out dog or a dog that's had enough of the bullying and decides to fight back. Alaman, that you haven't been bitten yet is nothing but pure luck, but be careful- one day, your nose could end up somewhere other than on your face. I don't think anyone here would recommend doing this. Also, it really kills the trust in your dog (the dog's protector is now also its tormentor, hmm..)

Have you tried a dremel? A lot of people who have had horrid luck with the nail trimmers can dremel the nails easily and without any fuss.

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/dremel/dremel.html

·
Registered
213 Posts
My Ary who was rescued at age 3ish has never let me cut her nails. I do this for a living so i am used to difficult dogs but she freaks out and screams and whines, pupils get dialated and she sheds, she has also released her anal glands when i tried to see if the vet would have more luck. We have trouble even drawing blood for a heartworm test. I now have to have her sedated at the vet's to get them cut. I have tried everything. If it is really that bad you may have to get this done also. If anyone has any other suggestions ( Ary is very submissive and the whole shaking thing is not gonna work or would i try it ) please let me know also. She won
t let me really even touch her feet so the dremmel is out.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Tried to edit, couldn't!

Just wanted to add that I re-read the post and thought that Alaman also did an "alpha roll" on the dog. My bad, sorry, Alaman. Still, be careful with the above suggested correction because sometimes the nail issue is due to fear/pain (especially if a dog's been quicked before) so adding any more of that could be very adverse.

Again, pardon my misread.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Originally Posted By: acurajaneI let my dogs eat out a jar of peanut butter. Otherwise it would take me an hour and half just to do one dog.
OMG - I am SO relieved to know that I'm not the only one who resorts to bribery to get my dog's nails trimmed.
I give Kodee a piece of raw chicken (usually a breast b/c it takes longer for him to eat it), and then while he's working on that, I trim his nails. Even while he's distracted w/chicken, I have to have his leash on him and kneel on it, or he'll take off with the chicken.
I think I'll have to try the jar of pb, as he seems to be getting bored with the "chicken trick." LOL!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I don't think it is NECESSARY to Scruff a dog, growl at a dog, or get yourself all machoed out to trim nails. If you work to make it a pleasant experience for a dog, 99% of the time it isn't a problem after a while, there IMHO are 1% of dogs that something happened that they will never be comfortable or happy getting their nails trimmed.

Val

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerI don't think it is NECESSARY to Scruff a dog, growl at a dog, or get yourself all machoed out to trim nails. If you work to make it a pleasant experience for a dog, 99% of the time it isn't a problem after a while, there IMHO are 1% of dogs that something happened that they will never be comfortable or happy getting their nails trimmed.

Val
I agree, but I think too many people assume their dogs are that 1% when they've never actually TRIED to make nail trimming more pleasurable. My GSD's registered name is Lamb Chop and she was called Chopper. When I first got her, I was talking to a woman that trains agility for the breeder's club and she joked that they called the dog Chopper because of how she got when it was nail time. So right of the bat I was scared to do her nails. When I tried, she would pull away in a panic, sometimes mouth me or nudge me with her head. After some desensitization and going about it very slooooowly, I can now trim her nails very easily. I've learned she prefers to stand for the front feet and be rolled on her side or back for the back feet.

If the dog really does fit into the 1%, then I would suggest taking it to a groomer or vet tech, someone who has experience handling dogs in a panic. Before I learned to do Kenya's nails myself I took her to a vet tech to watch her do it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
We are only getting ready to bring a GSD puppy home in late November, so please forgive the ignorance, but do you need to trim the nails? What happens if you don't?

We have kitties and they scratch their nails off on the scratcher (we don't trim them off as they really don't like that)..

Thank you,
Tanya

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
caview, YES you have to cut their nails, and many times if you start when they are puppies it's so much easier.

Can you see how this pups nails are actually curled under to affect how they walk and stand?

Where you should cut (and these are way too long):

The videos I posted are ALL about introducing pups/dogs to the process, getting used to having their feet touched and helping to make it a quick and easy process. Rather than the drama it is for many of us. These sites are great cause they are VIDEOS with examples and chatting and real dogs to show what's can work. As well as using different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcx-HG7kaGU love that she doesn't say a word!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE belligerent and scary dog...

http://1stsat.cynod.com/index.php?topic=25.0

Great sites that give info that works....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgBvnQ71ss&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpB1_a6WlwU&feature=related

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: caviewWe are only getting ready to bring a GSD puppy home in late November, so please forgive the ignorance, but do you need to trim the nails? What happens if you don't?

We have kitties and they scratch their nails off on the scratcher (we don't trim them off as they really don't like that)..

Thank you,
Tanya
In general, yes. How often will depend. I do Kenya's front nails 1-2 times a week, but I only do the back every few weeks or once a month. Somehow, the back ones stay ground down from all her outdoor activity. Some people who have dogs that live mostly in cement runs rarely ever need to trim nails. Other people only ever have a vet or groomer do it. I like to do my own because if I ask the vet to do it she will say they are short enough when I think they are long (anytime I hear the nails click the ground I think they could be shorter). If they get too long, the quick moves forward so you can't just cut the nail short at that point (well you could but it would hurt and the dog would bleed a LOT). So it's best to keep up with it. I prefer to cut small amounts more often. My friend gave me a dremel but I couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Some of my dogs need to be trimmed every week, some only once a month. Not sure why, but some here , their nails just grow faster, as all get the equal amount of exercise.

I have found ALL the dogs here tolerate the dremel MUCH better than the regular clippers.

Having a very dominant, hates to be restrained, 16 week old pup here, yup, I did the scruff shake...."WE ARE going to do this, stop your B.S."....that was quite a few weeks ago, only took one session of "fighting" to realize he wasn't going to win, and now he calmly stands or sits while I patiently do each toe...

I never advocate taking a dog who won't tolerate having their nails done to a groomer or vet. This is YOUR dog and you need to deal with him. But that is my opinion.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
I almost never have to trim my GSD's nails. He is a banzai soccer player and plays in our front yard that used to have grass until we wore it off and now it's just a big dirt patch. (Yeah, the neighbors laugh. Thank God they have a sense of humor.) His soccer play wears down his nails to a nice buffed surface.

He stands nicely to have this dew claws trimmed, and every once in a while, I barely trim a toenail or two on his toes just because I know he won't always be a banzai guy and will need his nails trimmed mechanically.

So, no, not all dogs need their toenails trimmed. But, it's easier to teach them when they're young and easily trained than when you have a stubborn 85 lb adult on your hands.

I take my other dog to the vet for toe nail trims. (Not the groomer because they ALWAYS leave them too long). She doesn't particularly *like* the process. But more importantly, I've quicked her once too often. They don't. They're in and out. I bumble around. She doesn't mind them doing it. With me, she struggles. You know how many kids behave better at their friend's house. Yeah, that's my girl. If your dog likes the vet's office, likes the techs, and you're willing to pay, why not let the professionals handle it more quickly and efficiently? I'm not turfing my responsibility to the vet techs. I'm letting them do something they do better than I ever could, and my dog is happier as a result.

My dog with the clear white toenails? Her, I do myself. But the black toenail dogs? They get "pedicures" at the vet. And they are perfectly fine with the process, much happier than they would be if it were ME trimming their nails.

And a happy healthy dog, for me, is what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
i wait until my dog is tired (at night) and then i enlist the help of my daughter... she smears PB on her fingers and tells Quest that she can gently lick it off.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
rokanhaus, not every dog will respond to the scruff the way your pup did, it depends on how solid the dogs nerves are. You do that to a pup with weak nerves and you have probably negatively imprinted the pup. So this is why as a general rule we are against advising people to scruff shake, pin or alpha roll their pups.

Val

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Thank you so much for the great information!

MagieRoseLee, the all the videos are fantastic!

Thank you so very much!

Tanya

1 - 20 of 25 Posts