German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radar is almost 4 months now! Sorry I don't have any new photos but I will post some as soon as I get them. It seems like I am always worried about something..... I'm over the poop/food issues and now I wondering about our daily schedule for exercise, play, rest and training. He gets short training sessions (just fun and positive) three times a day plus a short walk every evening where we also try to do a little long leash work. We play off and on all day. He's doing well in all areas except I would like to see him settle down with the family for short periods of time to snuggle on the couch or quietly lay at our feet and chew on a toy. I seems like he is always on the go and too busy to cuddle or settle down with one toy. I was thinking of increasing his walking time. He gets about 1/2 mile or a little more each night (I think, I have never really measured it out- but it it not enough to wear him out)- this does not include the short walks he goes on to go potty. I would really like to wear him out on a long walk or playing ball so I could get him to sit still with me while I relax in the evening for a short time! I have read a lot about pups and their hips but not anything that specifically tells you how much or what type of exercise at what age for an active pup that needs to use up his energy. He is the first dog I have that is not a couch potato and I miss having a dog sleep on my feet! To me it's a bonding thing... do I love this dog or what!

Radar at 3 months!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had the same problem with Eyra...there was no off switch!! The more excerise I would give her the wilder she would get. I tried giving her a bone to settle down with...she would hold the bone in her mouth and run circles around the coffee table. Best I can tell you....he will calm down with age. Eyra is now 20 months and is starting to settle in pretty nicely (as long as no one gives her eye contact). Hang in there he will calm down...it will just take a while

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I know what you are talking about. My Yana was this way, completely uncapable of settling down. I was taking her to classes all the time and excercising her a lot (we were hiking 5-7 miles a day and playing ball). She's 15 months right now and she's doing much better but she's pretty independent and couldn't care less about sleeping next to my feet. My new puppy Anton is my lap dog instead

I am so lucky with my puppy, he will be 4 months old next week. He came home with that off switch! Anton will go non-stop when I play with him but when he realizes I am busy with something else he will give me a look and settle down immediately. The moment I call his name he's up and ready to go! I love it and hope he won't loose this ability as he grows up

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
hahaha off switch you are funny
if you crate train I would suggest putting him in the crate when you want some down time.
Mines 3 and he still is crazy but he will lie down when told but he isn't happy about it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: littledmchahaha off switch you are funny
if you crate train I would suggest putting him in the crate when you want some down time.
Mines 3 and he still is crazy but he will lie down when told but he isn't happy about it.
That is usually the only time he does sleep is in his crate or outside pen. It's like he saves his sleeping for his crate so that he can spend all his time running, playing and chewing with us!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: GSD07I know what you are talking about. My Yana was this way, completely uncapable of settling down. I was taking her to classes all the time and excercising her a lot (we were hiking 5-7 miles a day and playing ball). She's 15 months right now and she's doing much better but she's pretty independent and couldn't care less about sleeping next to my feet. My new puppy Anton is my lap dog instead

I am so lucky with my puppy, he will be 4 months old next week. He came home with that off switch! Anton will go non-stop when I play with him but when he realizes I am busy with something else he will give me a look and settle down immediately. The moment I call his name he's up and ready to go! I love it and hope he won't loose this ability as he grows up
Well, I got what I asked for... my last dog used to fall asleep in the tunnel at agility class (I'm not joking) so my daughter really wanted a pup she could compete with in SCHh or obedience. I love his energy and drive, I just wish he would stay still long enough to let me hug him more! How much exercise do you give your little guy?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm doing pretty much what you are doing with Radar. We go for a short walk at night (during day time it's very hot here right now, over 95), and during day time I try to take him to socialize somewhere every day (hardware stores, nurseries, marina) and play with him and train in the yard (I teach him to retrieve and he starts doing pretty well). He also has my other dog Yana to run and wrestle with, and she can wear down anybody and anything

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
For me, I could go at least 4 miles offleash with my pups, have a swim in the middle (with stick chasing) and that would help with the energy levels.

and 2 miles back...

So you are not (in my opinion) over exercising so may want to up it and see if that helps.

Though keep in mind, some pups are just not snugglers. They want to be with us, but not necessarily be on or touched by us all the time.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If you have a place for off lead fun, get the 'ball' game going,

I'm guessing your puppy is ready for more exercise.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Radar is soo handsome! I was just telling Onyx the same thing right before I read this thread, she is always going, even in the middle of the night she needs some action. Just got back from a walk, she tracked Kacies scent( I walked them seperately) 1/2 the way and healed the rest , and it didn't tire her out, she's still energized...Good thing, as I would be worried if she acted otherwise!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Reich was never very energetic. She was very thin and full of worms when I brought her home. Even after she got better she wasn't a bouncy girl.
She'll get up and play if I grab her ball, but she's just as happy to sit next to me on the couch (she is the ONE dog I have spoiled enough to let her on my furniture and even my bed. Just very obedient, submissive and calm from the get-go)

My mom's 5 month old Wolfgang though, dear lord. He never stops. I had to run him non-stop for 30 minutes to get him to just sit down the other day. Smart as **** and obedient...but he's like the energizer bunny on roids.

Try to avoid any major jumping forthe hips...other than that I say it's fine to play and exercise until the pup shows signs it's time to relax.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeFor me, I could go at least 4 miles offleash with my pups, have a swim in the middle (with stick chasing) and that would help with the energy levels.

and 2 miles back...

So you are not (in my opinion) over exercising so may want to up it and see if that helps.

Though keep in mind, some pups are just not snugglers. They want to be with us, but not necessarily be on or touched by us all the time.
Wow, and thats ok with his hips? We did walk further tonight and although he still was not worn out he did play appropriately in the living room for most of the evening. We played a low key game of fetch as we watched TV and then he chewed for a while and then we played fetch for a while....and then my daughter tried to do sit ups and he thought it might be a good idea to help her by jumping on her face and trying to rip out her hair! lol! By then it was his bed time anyway!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: zypIf you have a place for off lead fun, get the 'ball' game going,

I'm guessing your puppy is ready for more exercise.
He loves his ball already and is good at bringing it back to be thrown again. I was under the impression that too much of this at a young age was bad for the joints! If not I'll break out the chuck-it!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: ReichsmomReich was never very energetic. She was very thin and full of worms when I brought her home. Even after she got better she wasn't a bouncy girl.
She'll get up and play if I grab her ball, but she's just as happy to sit next to me on the couch (she is the ONE dog I have spoiled enough to let her on my furniture and even my bed. Just very obedient, submissive and calm from the get-go)

My mom's 5 month old Wolfgang though, dear lord. He never stops. I had to run him non-stop for 30 minutes to get him to just sit down the other day. Smart as **** and obedient...but he's like the energizer bunny on roids.

Try to avoid any major jumping forthe hips...other than that I say it's fine to play and exercise until the pup shows signs it's time to relax.
Riech sounds like our last dog! Hey, I'm originally from Weirton, WV- my dad worked in Pittsburgh for National Steel!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: onyx'girlRadar is soo handsome! I was just telling Onyx the same thing right before I read this thread, she is always going, even in the middle of the night she needs some action. Just got back from a walk, she tracked Kacies scent( I walked them seperately) 1/2 the way and healed the rest , and it didn't tire her out, she's still energized...Good thing, as I would be worried if she acted otherwise!!
Thanks! Tonight I just couldn't resist it... when he finally settled down to chew on a toy I quietly laid on the floor next to him and got in some good belly scratches. It lasted about 5 minutes before he decided he had too much to do to lay around being scratched and had to go explore what was on our coffee tables that he is not supposed to touch!.... mmm a paper towel gulp, gulp while running!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
On leash walking is very safe for the joints. You want to avoid running too much, especially on hard surfaces, and jumping. My young pups are walking 4-6 miles a day by the time they are Radar's age! I think if you up the exercise you'll have a mellower pup.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowOn leash walking is very safe for the joints. You want to avoid running too much, especially on hard surfaces, and jumping. My young pups are walking 4-6 miles a day by the time they are Radar's age! I think if you up the exercise you'll have a mellower pup.
We are a little ahead on his shots- he had his last set yesterday and the vet said I could give him two days and then he had clearance to walk at any of the really good doggie walking areas in my town that I have been avoiding until he had all of his shots! yeah! Tomorrow we will go to the dam!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Quote:Wow, and thats ok with his hips?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 'offleash' part is key with this. So my pups can move at their own pace. Run, walk, stop, sit, RUN, stand, trot, RUN.......... And the surface is different depending on if they are on the trail, or in the grass, or woods, or ??

Swimming is perfect always.

It's repetitive exercise that's really bad (jogging on pavement onleash for miles..........) and alot of high impact (continuously jumping over high jumps, or like slamming down a set of stairs playing ball for long periods of time).

Any fenced in yard with OFF leash activities are really fantastic. So if you can find a doggy friend or pup for your pup to play and run and chase, it's perfect. As well as playing chuckit (without your pup jumping for the ball...........) or other retrieving activities.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Our puppy is 17 weeks old and she is pretty energetic so after she eats in the morning I take her out for 1 hour walk and ball play. She likes to chase her ball and retrieve it for me. I started her out on 30 foot leash and would toss the ball as far as the leash would go, now I throw it up to 50-60 feet and she runs after it. Sometimes she runs past it flops down and looks at me, then runs back forgetting the ball. I usually do this until she loses interest in the ball and starts sniffing around instead of retrieving. I repeat this in the evening but maybe less running. After the morning she is usually back in her crate to sleep. In the evening she settles down pretty well and sleeps well until 5:30AM then we repeat the routine. During the day she drinks and has potty breaks, I'm at work then, so my wife has her during her quiet time. Sometimes she will run around like a banshee when we are out on leash and it usually means she has to go to the bathroom, once she is done she settles down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts