German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wolfie loves to got to the bank with me. He hopped into the car, all excited to go. It's only a 5 minute drive. Halfway there, he made a complaining noise, and then started crying really loud. I stopped the car, and couldn't find anything wrong with him. He had himself plastered to the back of the seat and was shaking. He calmed down after a minute and I continued on to the bank, did my banking, and drove home. On the way home, he was crying and he farted. As soon as we got home, I took him out to his spot, figuring he had to poop and didn't want to poop in the car. He peed, but no poop. I brought him in and tried to remove his prong collar. He showed me his teeth when I tried to take the collar off. I took it off, and he came upstairs, whined a bit, and now he's laying down. I checked him over for any wounds, thinking that maybe he got his collar stuck somehow in the back seat, but I didn't find anything. I just can't figure what happened to him.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Take him to the vet if possible.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm keeping an eye on him. He's fine and playing now.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Maybe his collar was just pinching his undercoat? Once in awhile Madix's pinch will get wrapped a little bit in his undercoat and I can tell it's uncomfortable. Perhaps his hair was just being pulled, the collar was uncomfortable and once it was off, it was over?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He does get carsick on long rides. It was strange. I think it was the collar, and hubby thinks he needed to go pee and didn't know what to do.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Hope that's all it was. Good luck to Wolfie, he's had a rough couple of days.

I don't understand why he would have a prong collar in the car. Is it to keep him under control between the house and the car? I'm not a believer in prong collars but that's just my opinion.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

I don't understand why he would have a prong collar in the car. Is it to keep him under control between the house and the car? I'm not a believer in prong collars but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I hope it was just the prong. Have you checked his skin where the prong lies? I know with all the hair it can get a little hard, but with a fine tooth comb you might be able to separate enough to see for any damage. Sometimes Shenzi grumbles when I take the prong off, so I stop, and quickly go to another link. (Its not that shes 'telling me to leave it on' or 'telling me not to touch her' or such nonsense and I do not back off when shes talking. Because she is a very talkative dog and I liken it to her saying 'be gentle' just like I tell her :) )

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The prong is more for my peace of mind than anything else. I am a very small person. Wolfie weighs almost what I do, and he's infinitely stronger than I am. He hasn't pulled me on a walk since I put the prong collar on him at 5 months old, and honestly, I have never tried walking him without it since. He doesn't pull or try to pull me, but it's there just in case. He seems fine now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had our Greyhound behave that same way years ago, turned out to be a spider that had gotten under his collar in the car. Go Figure! We found it when we got home a tiny black jumping one. Thank goodness Woflie is doing ok now.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had our Greyhound behave that same way years ago, turned out to be a spider that had gotten under his collar in the car. Go Figure! We found it when we got home a tiny black jumping one. Thank goodness Woflie is doing ok now.
Strange you should say that. I didn't see a spider on Wolfie, but yesterday, I swatted one out of the rear window. I thought I got it, but maybe I didn't. HMMM...

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hope he is all well, now. Some kinds of spiders are very poisonous to humans, so it makes sense they'd harm dogs, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts