German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend? We moved from damp Oregon to dry, desert Idaho. It's so bad here that I can't even pet my pups without shocking them 95% of the time. It makes them jump back, and makes me jump too, cuz it sort of hurts a little. My dogs want me to love them, but how can I when I hurt them every time I go to touch them. I was thinking about adding a humidifier to their sleeping area, but that won't help when they're outside during the day, or will it? What are my options? I pet them anyway, but it's hit or miss if I'm going to shock them. I don't want them to NOT want me to pet them anymore.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I use a conditioner spray on my dog after baths that is supposed to help with static.

It's by Best Shot. I'm not sure how long the effects last though.

A humidifier is a good idea too

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
try wiping them down with laundry sheets:) just an idea.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
This happens outside too? If it is only going on inside, get a humidifier(it'll help you too!)

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
LOL, after years of living in Idaho I am still trying to figure out how to deal with static electricity! Someone told me to keep a no-static cling free dryer sheet handy and rub my hands with it before I touch my animals. Not sure if it works, since I never tried it.
Sheilah

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Static Guard - a spray that I even used as hair spray when I lived in Wyoming... You could also discharge the electricity by touching a doorknob before petting the dog...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read that the chemicals put in/on the dryer sheets are known to cause cancer. We don't use dryer sheets at our house. I'm looking into a humidifier. There isn't always a doorknob near me. I pet the dogs a lot during the day! Ha. But these are all good suggestions. Oh, and yes, this happens both in the house and outside. I'll keep searching.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yes, I think the dryer sheets are toxic to dogs.

I know if I static guard my clothes my dog starts sneezing like made for a minute, so I'm not sure if that is practical either.

I'd go the humidifier route and maybe a conditioning spray?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Static

There used to be a scare that static while getting gasoline could start a fire. You simply touch any metal(fewer in cars. oh right saving $). Not sure you should have dogs with your low IQ.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There used to be a scare that static while getting gasoline could start a fire. You simply touch any metal(fewer in cars. oh right saving $). Not sure you should have dogs with your low IQ.

Unless I am missing the joke here...... I sense some rather undeserved hostility.... ????? Rough day?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts