German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a neighbor with a Chocolate lab that I baby sat a while ago. She just told me they are thinking about putting him down because he is to agressive. UM NO not agressive mouthy there is a difference. He is a big heafty boy. He is only 1 year old. I just told her exactly what I thought. That she took the responsibility on getting a larger dog. They said they didn't take him to training because they didn't have the money. I said well you should have waited untill you did. They recently took him to like 3 sessions at petsmart then quit because they said it was not working. I said well you could train him yourself do research get on a dog forum watch you tube videos. I said I trained smokey all by my self starting when I was 8 and it is not to late to train him now. I told her I just taught Smokey how to close doors and cabinets. She did not respond to any of that. Ugggggg

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
PetsMart is not the best place to go for training. If you could find a good trainer and give them that info, it might be helpful. But if they are set on killing the dog, there is not much you can do about it.

Their ought to be a "do not sell" list for puppies and dogs. Because money or not, these people will go out and bring home another puppy to screw up and dispose of.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already gave her a good list of places to go and today I gave her a good forum to go on. They just got another dog a few months ago that was wandering around town he is a smaller dog and a much better fit for them. They just keep telling me how much they wish they big dog was like my smokey. Well I told them he just did not magically learn everything he knows it takes time and patience and all I got was an I know. It is a mom and daughter the dog is owned by the daughter who is 18. From what I have seen the mom does more even though she never really wanted him to start with, but let the daughter get him anyway. They dont exercise him at all and stays in the crate most of the time.

·
Registered
572 Posts
What a terrible shame for that poor dog. PTS only for being completely failed by his owners. No excercise and kept in a crate? What a sad existence for a young dog. :(

·
Registered
594 Posts
Give them info on rescue groups in your area. I'm sure there are plenty of organizations (include breed groups) who would be willing to re-home him rather than see him euthanized. Gather some info from local vets, breed clubs, and training clubs, too...if the owner calls or reaches out to these animal-oriented resources, I'm willing to be she can find a good home for this poor dog quickly. Not much of a life for him right now - crated all day as a reward for doing exactly as they have taught him (you teach by NOT teaching, too!) from the get go. A mouthy 8 week old puppy is "cute", the same puppy at 1.5 years exhibiting the same behavior is a nuisance -- it's not the poor dog's fault he grew up!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is what I have told them I know I could train him with some some. The only thing is. If I am teaching him no or dont touch or not begging they could be doing it a different way when I am not there and would just confuse him and I will be moving in a few months. I don't think they would stick with what I would do. I feel so sorry for him. He has such a bad diet to. They give him a crap food with human food all the time when I baby sat him he pooped like 7 times a day no joke and he litterally farted all the time..... bad bad diet. He loves the death out of me. I am the only exercise he has ever really got I have took him swimming, bikeing and to the dog park a few times. He would be such a good dog. I will gather that information for her. I am big on researching everything.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know how you feel. My neighbor had a gsd, female 1 yr. They kept her in a crate in the garage all day, this with a stay at home wife. She was to busy with 3 kids. When dad came home she was let out in yard and fed. The only exercise she got was when I would ask if she could come in our yard to play with Frodo, she absolutely loved this time. They gave her away when they left to visit family. The reason - she jumped on people and would knock the small kids down and chew on their toys. All things that are easily fixable. She to had bad diet, Walmart food. I wish they would have told me they were gonna get rid of her, I seriously would have considered taking her. It really is a shame how some people view their pets. I hope for the best for this lab.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some people should not be dog owners. A true dog lover will go to any means to make the best life for their pet. You could probably give these people "Lassie" and she would be ruined in no time because they will not take the time to learn what is needed to keep her happy. I don't care what breed it is. unless it is dead it will never be happy and well ajusted living with these people.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel so sorry for him!! I gave them a forum name and my dads wife their lanlord gave them a rescue list before I could. They just dont want to take the time to teach their dog things just just think he will magically know stuff.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Stupid, ignorant people. They probably think that taking the dog to a class means he will retain that without reinforcement. So sorry for the dog. Hope you can convince them to at least give it to a rescue group. Unfortunately, we can't save every dog, but do the best we can. You can't force people to grow a brain and a conscience.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bet that is exactly what they think. He didn't get anything as a pup he dont have any confidence when I baby sat him he was scared to death of my boyfriend because he is a man. He tried to bite my bf. He was only around his 2 owners that are both women. He was not socialized at all.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:
To describe these people in the manner they deserve would result in a deleted post.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It makes me so mad that I can't help or to rephrase that they dont want my help! I don't know what I cant do. I just wonder how he is or what they are planning or doing!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Is there any way you could contact a rescue, explain the situation, and then approach the labs owners? It sounds like a big part of the problem is their laziness. Also people will sometimes do nothing because they are unsure of how to proceed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have never seen this lady before and I have watched out for her since. Either she is new to our place or she was walking her dogs of private property, because I make it a point to know everyone's in my areas dogs and people that way I know who's dogs are friendly and who are scared of big dogs. I had a feeling that day and I should have listened to my gut and just turned around. Since then Chief seems to be giving me much better focus outside which he was not doing so good before.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We had a big incident yesterday night. Was walking Chief turned around to see the dog that Chief hates and he hates Chief charging at us. I tried to hurry to get to my apartment, but he just mauled Chief immediately grabbed the side of his face. Chief didn't have a chance did even see him coming. He was actually watching me and coming with me when I tried to pull him to our apartment. Her dog had seen us walking and pushed her out of the way when she tried to get in the patio door. I was freaking out I didn't know what to do. Her dog locked on and wouldn't let go. He is a mastiff/Pitt mix. Like 15minutes when by and he finally let loose I ran and was almost to my apartment door when he came flying around the corner and attacked Chief again. I am so mad I mean really!!! I'm so freaking happy We are moving next month. Lucky Chief is okay, just has a gash in his ear. I still freak out thinking about it. The whole time Chief was just looking at me, because he couldn't fight back he had him by the side of his face. I almost got bit trying to get him off, they knocked me over. Lucky he is okay though.I mean really two dogs attack him in how long of me having him our apartment needs to now allow ever darn dog in or something

·
Registered
658 Posts
We had a big incident yesterday night. Was walking Chief turned around to see the dog that Chief hates and he hates Chief charging at us. I tried to hurry to get to my apartment, but he just mauled Chief immediately grabbed the side of his face. Chief didn't have a chance did even see him coming. He was actually watching me and coming with me when I tried to pull him to our apartment. Her dog had seen us walking and pushed her out of the way when she tried to get in the patio door. I was freaking out I didn't know what to do. Her dog locked on and wouldn't let go. He is a mastiff/Pitt mix. Like 15minutes when by and he finally let loose I ran and was almost to my apartment door when he came flying around the corner and attacked Chief again. I am so mad I mean really!!! I'm so freaking happy We are moving next month. Lucky Chief is okay, just has a gash in his ear. I still freak out thinking about it. The whole time Chief was just looking at me, because he couldn't fight back he had him by the side of his face. I almost got bit trying to get him off, they knocked me over. Lucky he is okay though.I mean really two dogs attack him in how long of me having him our apartment needs to now allow ever darn dog in or something
I'm sorry to hear about what happened and glad to hear everyone is alright. That's the apartment life for a dog. So many unsocialized and untrained dogs everywhere. What I like to do is train my dogs in every open field where ALL the neighbors can see me. I hope to think that it motivates them to train their dogs and also give my dog more credibility that she's well mannered and trained.

·
Registered
646 Posts
will they let you have him instead of putting him down. that is if you could afford another dog

1 - 20 of 27 Posts