German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of weeks ago my breeder posted on her website that she had a couple of adult males that she needed to rehome, and silly me, I got in touch with her "just to see." She had picked my puppy for me, and I have also done a lot of training with her, so she knows me and my dog. Naturally, one was perfect for us - as she wrote "He has a super temperament with people and other dogs. He is a high energy boy that needs lots of exercise and therefore someone who can lay down the rules and stick to them. He is well trained as long as you know how to ask for it (which you do). He's house trained, crate trained, good with kids and other dogs. His one downfall is that they didn't tape his ear when he was younger. The vet told them he didn't think it would be necessary. (stupid vet) I am in the process of taping it now as I've seen a dog that is 9 years old have his ear come up after 3 months of taping. However, I cannot guarantee his ear so his price is dropped"

Hubby and I have gone back and forth on him, and finally decided that we probably wouldn't do it - we've never had 2 dogs and weren't sure about starting now. So when I contacted her today, to tell her (and give her an opportunity to change my mind) she told me that she would give him to me, since the other dog that was returned was because the owners "didn't have time for him" and he developed aggression issues, she wanted to make sure this boy had a forever home, that would be able to deal with the needs of a busy teen working line and she was feeling really discouraged. Of course, I have fallen in love with him - and I haven't even met him yet! We have until the end of the day to decide since the breeder is heading in for major surgery in a few days and really wants to find this boy a home before then!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
So a couple of weeks ago my breeder posted on her website that she had a couple of adult males that she needed to rehome, and silly me, I got in touch with her "just to see." She had picked my puppy for me, and I have also done a lot of training with her, so she knows me and my dog. Naturally, one was perfect for us - as she wrote "He has a super temperament with people and other dogs. He is a high energy boy that needs lots of exercise and therefore someone who can lay down the rules and stick to them. He is well trained as long as you know how to ask for it (which you do). He's house trained, crate trained, good with kids and other dogs. His one downfall is that they didn't tape his ear when he was younger. The vet told them he didn't think it would be necessary. (stupid vet) I am in the process of taping it now as I've seen a dog that is 9 years old have his ear come up after 3 months of taping. However, I cannot guarantee his ear so his price is dropped"

Hubby and I have gone back and forth on him, and finally decided that we probably wouldn't do it - we've never had 2 dogs and weren't sure about starting now. So when I contacted her today, to tell her (and give her an opportunity to change my mind) she told me that she would give him to me, since the other dog that was returned was because the owners "didn't have time for him" and he developed aggression issues, she wanted to make sure this boy had a forever home, that would be able to deal with the needs of a busy teen working line and she was feeling really discouraged. Of course, I have fallen in love with him - and I haven't even met him yet! We have until the end of the day to decide since the breeder is heading in for major surgery in a few days and really wants to find this boy a home before then!

I say go for it!!!!

:D

·
Registered
219 Posts
i wouldn't be able to say no to him!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would take him in a heartbeat!! I hope you guys say yes to taking him.

-E

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would also see if you could take him on a trial basis, he's a real looker !!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I like free, but I agree maybe you can foster him while she is having her surgery and recovery. It would sure help her out and give you a chance to know him better.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is super careful where her dogs go - which is why she is so upset about the other male. She selected Kokoda for us and she is perfect for our lifestyle. If she thinks this boy is good for us, I can almost guarantee that if we take him on a trial basis it's a done deal =) We'll definitely go and meet him tomorrow if we decide to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Enjoy your new GSD. :) He's beautiful.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So, we're heading out to the breeder's place tomorrow to meet the boy, so I'm sure everyone knows what that means!! We won't be able to bring him home (if we do) for almost two weeks, and then she said we can consider it a foster until we know for sure if it will work out. I'm sure she knows it will, so she's just got to get him here and it's a done deal! I feel pretty lucky though, she's had an offer of $1500 but she's willing to give him to me. The pups I've met out of this breeding are great.

·
Registered
32,477 Posts
I hope that you trust this person. Many of the things she is saying sounds like high pitched sales lines. I know "free", but very few things in life are truly free. Why free might still be a huge benefit to her, could be nothing more than she needs to free up kennel space for the dog that came back and an upcoming litter. So, even giving this dog away is better than keeping him. But it could be worse than that, she could have had his hips and elbows x-rayed and he may have a problem.

Other things she says that makes me wonder -- she is going in for surgery, this does make you want to help her out. I mean, why else would she mention a surgery to you, unless you are awesome friends.

Another thing is the other pup came back from a bad situation with aggression issues. Sorry, but she is the one that sold the dog into a bad situation and now she will need to address aggression problems with him. But that is not your fault. Still it makes you WANT to help her out. Dogs sell. Abused dogs REALLY sell.

If you want this dog, I say go for it, he looks like a nice dog, and you should be able to manage it, if you have double the time for training and exercise. If you are committed to training him and keeping on top of him, and you like dogs that NEED NILIF, then go for it. I just hope you really trust this person.

·
Registered
32,477 Posts

1. Ok, this one is PERFECT for you. mmmmmhmmmm.

2. Needs NILIF.

3. A little sucking up is always helpful.

4. An ear is cosmetic, dropping price for the ear, well, either you can handle a floppy ear or not, shouldn't affect price.

5. Giving the dog to you. Well now, that is a bit hard to turn down. Most breeders I know want you to be on board about wanting a dog, giving them to you in order to get you on board, well....

6. Those bad other owners, poor me, poor dog, now, I just want this to have a forever home -- she is playing you with all this rescue talk.

7. She is feeling discouraged. And you are the one person on the planet that can make her feel better. It does make you want to try, doesn't it.

8. I am sorry, not sure what kind of surgery we are talking about, but making lifetime decisions in a couple of days because of your health issues, well, I really like when people want for everyone to be sure and not to try to do things right this minute.

I am maybe up too long, and may be just a little too cynical about people tonight, but I wonder why nobody else spotted all the roaring red flags in this post.

If you do not know this person very, very well, then expect a dog with major health concerns -- undiscussed, or serious aggression issues, also undiscussed.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Take Him!

Jelpy and the Mesquite Mafia

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i say give it a shot on a trial basis. if it doesnt work out, she'd obviously take him back right? Good luck with it!

·
Registered
951 Posts
I got the feeling from the email that the breeder knows them VERY well. That, to me, is the only explanation as to how all of that makes sense.

I would take the dog as a foster like you previously planned and make sure you do all the tests you can. After that, if its still a good fit and you are not burdened with the dog then I say keep him. He looks beautiful. Good luck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, debate - I appreciate your comments, Selzer :) We've known our breeder well for several years now, before we ever got a puppy from her. She lives about 25 minutes from us, and we see her often. She has also done all of our puppy and formal obedience classes with Kokoda, so she knows me, my dog, and my ability to train and handle GSDs. Her dogs are her life, she has two litters a year at the most, does the service puppy program with them, and then matches her puppies and owners very carefully. She knows we require a more social dog than most as my husband owns an RV dealership and we have our dog there often, they are expected to NOT be protective - everyone is allowed to come and go. Naturally the same rules do not apply at home. She is very up front with her owners, all of her dogs are high energy, high drive - only the lowest puppies in the litter go to pet homes, and by far, most go to SAR or competition of some sort, and a few to service. I waited for a couple of litters before there was a puppy that was appropriate for me. I like a dog that keeps me honest, if I didn't - I'd get a lab :) She matched Kokoda for us perfectly, and she has had this guy for a while so she knows his temperament.

This is her second surgery this year where they are going to be removing a large part of her abdomen (muscles, skin, fat etc) after a massive infection that almost killed her. Three weeks in the hospital if all goes well, and 3-6 months of recovery at home. She has people arranged to take care of her 7 house dogs, but SHE wanted to be the one dealing with new homes for these dogs. These are the second and third dogs she has had to rehome in the last 5 years that I have known her, and the last one was because the owner had a terminal illness.

I hope this clears up any concern that I am being duped or that this is not a well considered idea, I was the one to approach her after already discussing another dog with my hubby - rereading my post, I can definitely see how it could be construed that way. Thanks for bringing up your concerns - it is always very valuable on this forum!!

Hopefully all goes well when we meet him tonight, and if it does we will probably take him on a foster basis, and if that goes well we will add him to our family. If not, she is more than happy to have him back.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Ah, debate - I appreciate your comments, Selzer :) We've known our breeder well for several years now, before we ever got a puppy from her. She lives about 25 minutes from us, and we see her often. She has also done all of our puppy and formal obedience classes with Kokoda, so she knows me, my dog, and my ability to train and handle GSDs. Her dogs are her life, she has two litters a year at the most, does the service puppy program with them, and then matches her puppies and owners very carefully. She knows we require a more social dog than most as my husband owns an RV dealership and we have our dog there often, they are expected to NOT be protective - everyone is allowed to come and go. Naturally the same rules do not apply at home. She is very up front with her owners, all of her dogs are high energy, high drive - only the lowest puppies in the litter go to pet homes, and by far, most go to SAR or competition of some sort, and a few to service. I waited for a couple of litters before there was a puppy that was appropriate for me. I like a dog that keeps me honest, if I didn't - I'd get a lab :) She matched Kokoda for us perfectly, and she has had this guy for a while so she knows his temperament.

This is her second surgery this year where they are going to be removing a large part of her abdomen (muscles, skin, fat etc) after a massive infection that almost killed her. Three weeks in the hospital if all goes well, and 3-6 months of recovery at home. She has people arranged to take care of her 7 house dogs, but SHE wanted to be the one dealing with new homes for these dogs. These are the second and third dogs she has had to rehome in the last 5 years that I have known her, and the last one was because the owner had a terminal illness.

I hope this clears up any concern that I am being duped or that this is not a well considered idea, I was the one to approach her after already discussing another dog with my hubby - rereading my post, I can definitely see how it could be construed that way. Thanks for bringing up your concerns - it is always very valuable on this forum!!

Hopefully all goes well when we meet him tonight, and if it does we will probably take him on a foster basis, and if that goes well we will add him to our family. If not, she is more than happy to have him back.
I hope it goes well
:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Can't hurt to go take a look. Generally I agree with Sue that if it's too good to be true, it generally is, but I've also received a dog this way. I don't like to say "free" because to me that sort of implies that the breeder was looking to give the dog away, which was not really the case. I had to fill out the questionaire and go through the process just like someone wanting to buy a puppy. It was a four month process between the time I contacted the breeder and the time I got my "free" dog. She is a wonderful dog from a good breeder and both the breeder and I love her and have her best interests at heart. I was never looking for a "free" dog, I was simply open to adopting an adult vs. buying a puppy and the breeder happened to have a dog that matched my lifestyle and my training goals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts