German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and need some opinions. I am back in the market for a new puppy after just having to put down my 10 year old GSD due to health issues. 10 years ago I paid $900 for my girl and have talked to two breeders recently and I am being quoted between $2000-$3500 for a pet quality puppy. Have prices increased that much over the last decade? Temperament and health history are very important to me.

Also would like opinions on Huerta Hof and Mittelwest breeders if anyone is willing to share experience with the two.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Depends on the lines.

Research responsible breeders and look for what you want. Don't limit yourself to local breeders.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Ps, sent you a PM

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Idk about the breeders... But those prices sounds exorbitant to me.

But then, I have only rescue dogs and they have cost me far more in the long run.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
In my limited knowledge, both if those breeders have WGSL dogs, and yes, that is the going rate for a pup of that type.

Other lines can be a different price. Working lines from a good breeder run between 1000-1800. I don't know about American Showlines.

As to the two breeders. I have met 1 dog from Mittlewest and none from Huerta Hof, but both have excellent reputations. I am sure plenty if people on the board have pups from both and can give you more details.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
if you have $2,000.00 to $3,500.00 to spend you're going
to find a nice pup. i was willing to pay $3,500.00 6 years
ago but i find a nice dog with all of the bells and whistles
pedigree for $1,800.00.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Cesarvi: I can't recommend any breeders but can tell you my experience. Many years ago I paid $250 for my Heidi and she had health issues and I paid $2,000 for Nikki and she has even more serious health issues than Heidi did :(

The best thing I ever did (and I would NEVER own another dog but especially a GSD without it) is getting health insurance this time around.

I wish you good luck in your puppy search :)

Check your PM!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts