German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,I just want to say, this forum has been so helpful since I got my puppy, but I haven't decided to register myself until now.
Anyhow, my German Shepherd, Windsor is just over six months old.
I have been lucky enough to have him in my life since he was eight weeks old.
Until he was approx four months, he was eating three meals a day, then he gave up eating at lunch time on his own.
I currently give him three cups of dry food (Hills Science diet for large breed puppies) plus a cup of wet food that I've made (egg, carrots, beef, lamb, fish, and rice) twice a day. The vet says he is a good weight for now, but I was just curious as to what your experience was......
is this too much or not enough?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
what's he weigh and how tall is he at the shoulders?? Have a picture you can post?

My adult female is 75lbs and 26" at the shoulders (yep she's a TALL girl),,she's not ribby, she's not fat,, She gets 2 cups / 2 X a day.

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
If you read the nutrition threads you will see the opinion on SD.
Nobody can say what portion to give your puppy.
Each dog is individual in the metabolism/exercise and how they digest.
Pups will also go thru growth spurts so need portions adjusted accordingly. If you can feel a couple of ribs, then that is a good weight. If you have to press to feel the rib, pup may be overweight.
Remember too, that vets usually see overweight dogs more often than dogs of good working weight, so there perspective may be skewed a bit. My vet always told me my pup could use some weight, but I knew where I wanted his physique to be, my opinion was different than hers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks!

Thanks folks..
He is growing fast.
He gets plenty of exercise (both physical and mental).
Attached is a photo of him one month ago.
He is currently 75lbs (and 25inches from paw to shoulder standing up)
Bringing me to my next question...
at what age might both ears stand up? I don't really care either way....
I quite like the floppy ear. Just curious !

Attachments

·
Registered
27,258 Posts
Aww, he's really cute! That ear may not stand ever, adds to his character! Do you give him fresh raw knucklebones to chew? That does sometimes help the ears to gain strength/builds muscle in the head and the cartilage is good for the ears. Big pup for 6 months, he's going to grow more in the next few for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts