German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dont know what should i get btw german shephard or mali..i am a musician and i travel alot so i would like a dog that its good family protection dog..pls no stupid and sarcatic answers i just need ur help.
Thanx

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well, gee, being a smart-alec yourself is going to get tons of people to be helpful!

If you'd like people's help I think you need to provide a LOT more information. You've provided virutally no info about your lifestyle other than you are "a musician and trael alot."

How much time a day do you have to commit to giving the dog a workout--both physically and mentally?

What are your plans with the dog? JUST family protection? Agility? ScHH? Flyball?

What exactly do you plan to do with the dog when you are out of town all the time? Doggy day care center? Relative will be at home? A friend watching?

What's your family situation? Live alone? Married? Kids?

What do you want out of your dog other than family protection and what training are you planning on putting in for the "family protection" aspect? Just that having a GSD or Mal around will deter people or do you want it trained as a PPD?

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
I think if you are on the road alot then you really need to research these breed better. Talk to reputable breeders and explain what you want.

These dogs need exercise, they need to be with their families, they need a job.

Do you want a highly trained dog? Do you want a deterant? Are you willing to deal with the civil responsibilities and liabilities that come with having a PPD trained dog?

What will you do with the dog if you find it does not have the drive for protection? Not all dogs are meant for that kind of work.

Do you want a puppy or an already fully grown trained dog?

If the dog has a high drive for protection, are you capable of handling a high drive dog and being a leader?

Not being smart here but you have alot of research to do and alot of things to think about before purchasing a dog for "protection".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will not b all the time on tour and when i am on tour my wife will run with a dog ..and yes i have kids a doughter.and yes just having gsd or mal for protection and of course as a family pet..i already hav a 90lb pitbull and he is preety intimitaed and can b more then that..like i said all i am asking no smat as answers just simple..german shephard or mal are better for family protection..thats all.
Thnx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i want like a pupp like 5 months old..and again yes i am doing alo of research and one of the research is here in gsd forum..i thought u guys can help..but i dont get rite answers..just think this way the dog its gone b a family dog ..gone b loved no matter if he has a drive or not ..thats not my point ..all i am asking is gsd or mali are better family protection.thats all,

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
No one is going to recommend either for you. Dogs are not tools, they need to be cherished family members. A dog that barks is all you need for protection, unless you are a celebrity that is being stalked by rabid fans. A Cocker Spaniel would work just as well for barking and keeping intruders away.

Not trying to be sarcastic or smart, trying to help. People will take you more seriously if you spelled shepherd correctly, and Belgian Malinois correctly. Then it would show that you already have an idea of these dogs are like, have done a bit of research for yourself, and are looking for more information.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you have a pittbull... I would tend to think that's all you need. I've had GSD's for years and while I never had to have the "protect" the kids, they keep their eyes on them and just seeing a 80-90lb dog is enough to make ppl think twice. I think you have that w/ the Pitt.

A 90lb pitt is HUGE! I know I would stay away if I saw/heard one barking. It's really hard to say how a dog will react in a situation. There is another thread floating around about something similar. Who would know how they or the animal will react w/o ever being in that situation. Would the dog "protect" because instinct or because the fear that it sensed from it's family? Would it bark and snarl, most likely and that might be all that is needed. You CAN get sued if someone breaks into your home and your dog bites them. It's happened before.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
and again yes i am doing alo of research and one of the research is here in gsd forum..i thought u guys can help..but i dont get rite answers..just think this way the dog its gone b a family dog ..gone b loved no matter if he has a drive or not ..thats not my point ..all i am asking is gsd or mali are better family protection.thats all,
I'm sorry but if the "right answers" are only those that agree with you instead of telling you things to consider about a breed we know and cherish then you probably won't get anything from this thread.

I don't think anyone on here will tell you to jump right to and get one breed over the other for protection.

If you want true protection install a home security system and buy a gun.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
You have a bully breed dog and many of those are not good with other dogs. It is a question whether your current dog will accept the newcomer. It sounds like you already have a dog that is perfectly capable of protection.

As to which breed, the ability of the dog to protect depends on the amount of training you are willing to invest. Your wife would also have to keep up with the training.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok i guess i have to b more clear here..someone said i should learn how to spell german shephard or mali .. We r not here on spellin b competion..u know wehn i say german shephard u know what i mean .also i am a celebrity thats why i want high protection dog for my family while i am not here..for the person who said to buy alarm...that would b too late till the cops come..also someone said that if somebody breaks into my house and my dog atack..i could b sued..no thats not true at all..my father is a judge so i know that for a fackt that if someone breaks into ur hosue and u have kids u have right to shoot him. Period. So pls lets just stick with my question and not how i am spelling gsd or mali or pitbull..thats its not the point ..why iam asking about these 2 breads is cuz one friend of mine recomendet mali he said that they r amazing high protective dog..also i have a big house 1 pitbull its not enough so i am planing in future to have 3 dogs but for now i just want 1 more.so again pls lets stick with the right answer its not about what i like to hear or what i dont.
Thanx

·
Registered
53 Posts
No one is going to recommend either for you. Dogs are not tools, they need to be cherished family members. A dog that barks is all you need for protection, unless you are a celebrity that is being stalked by rabid fans. A Cocker Spaniel would work just as well for barking and keeping intruders away.

Not trying to be sarcastic or smart, trying to help. People will take you more seriously if you spelled shepherd correctly, and Belgian Malinois correctly. Then it would show that you already have an idea of these dogs are like, have done a bit of research for yourself, and are looking for more information.

Way more incorrectly spelled words than that! Not making fun, people just seem to take you more seriously if you take the time to spell correctly. Such as "going to be", not "gone b". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
My take is that a malinois is way more high strung than a shepherd.So if you go Mal you MUST plan on lots of exercise.If you are that concerned I think maybe a body guard is best idea.If not a body guard then get which ever dog and get into PPD with it with your wife so she has control over it.I think a mal or Shepherd will protect the same it's a matter of needs that is an issue.Depending on your Pit couldn't it protect you with training? PPD isn't just for Shepherds or Mals.Why is your pit not going to do the job for you.Also you probably will want what ever type you decide is one that is older and fully trained.Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you say that you are a celebrity, than perhaps you can find a dog that is already trained and bring them into your house for added protection. A guard dog perhaps? If you have the financial means, perhaps you could find one that is already trained to protect and patrol?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Well, I'll say it...if you're getting a dog for protection only don't get either a GSD or Mal. They are meant to be with their people at all times and it sounds like you want a patroler, not something that is going to be like glue to you. I think a GSD would be waaay too much for you considering what I'm reading in your posts (what you want the dog for). GSD's need mental work and phsyical work, ESPECIALLY if you are going to use it for PPD...you HAVE to keep up on the training. But a Mal would be way beyond you, I think. As they are for most of the population. Mal's are notoriously high energy, compulsive dogs and as a general rule need a saavy owner that will give them a job. And just being a "guard dog" is not going to cut it.

I really do think you need to reevaluate why you need this dog. First off, many a homeowner has been charged with murder for shooting intruders. It's hit and miss if a DA's Office is going to pursue the charges. Also, a dog is NOT going to be able to battle with someone armed with a gun or knife. If you are genuinely worried about that, look somewhere other than a dog. Up your security. Get cameras. Whatever. don't rely on a dog to save you. They are only "human" and are not some super creatures that are going to save you under all circumstances.

And with a pitbull you need to be very careful about the dog that you introduce to your family, especially if you trained and raised it to be a "protection" dog like you plan on with your new dog. They are notoriously dog aggressive and likely will not tolerate another ballsy, drivey, dominant dog in their house with them.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
For a minute here I thought Ali was the worst poster on these boards in terms of grammar/spelling but this poster takes the cake.

I cannot even begin to comprehend anything in this thread without having a migraine just trying.

Thanks to those of you willing to help this guy. Takes more patience than I have to dole out.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
Ok i guess i have to b more clear here..someone said i should learn how to spell german shephard or mali .. We r not here on spellin b competion..u know wehn i say german shephard u know what i mean .also i am a celebrity thats why i want high protection dog for my family while i am not here..for the person who said to buy alarm...that would b too late till the cops come..also someone said that if somebody breaks into my house and my dog atack..i could b sued..no thats not true at all..my father is a judge so i know that for a fackt that if someone breaks into ur hosue and u have kids u have right to shoot him. Period. So pls lets just stick with my question and not how i am spelling gsd or mali or pitbull..thats its not the point ..why iam asking about these 2 breads is cuz one friend of mine recomendet mali he said that they r amazing high protective dog..also i have a big house 1 pitbull its not enough so i am planing in future to have 3 dogs but for now i just want 1 more.so again pls lets stick with the right answer its not about what i like to hear or what i dont.
Thanx
I smell a troll....a celebrity is going to have a professional body guard service and anyone whose father is a judge should have more than a first grade spelling ability and at least be able to spell "fackt" correctly. They are also going to know that if you train a dog to attack, and that dog attacks, there is a possibility for a lawsuit.

Sounds like someone didn't get candy for Valentine's Day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have th cameras and alarms all over my house but those would b to late if something would happen.so cameras or allarms not so great for the monet ..but for investigation ..yes they r good.about buying a protective dog..i dont trust those with my kid..so i reather get him as a puppy..and then ill pay ppd for protection..i just need to konw about thise 2 breeds.my pitbull like i said erlier he is great but i said it very clear that i have a big house so 1 dog is not enough when i say big i mean really big..so my pit is amazing but i need more then 1 dog for this house.

Thanx

1 - 20 of 88 Posts