German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was out back with Neko and he kept running around the shed then I see him going in there and he backs out and has something BIG I was across the yard so I couldnt really see but he doesnt play with balls and there isnt much in there so I had a "feeling" (ugg) we have had possums back there before.
Anyways, its on the ground not moving and neek is just standing there staring at it
so I got the hose (hes obsessed_ and got him over to me, while playing with the hose I looked over and saw that the thing was gone. It was playing dead when he was over there. EWWWW Ive got to get rid of it!!
Does anyone else have this problem with Possums? I dont know why we get them.

Until I get rid of it I have to take him back with his leash on. I just dont like them!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Usually they come around because there's something to eat. If you remove that, you may remove them. Is there any cat food on the porch or accessible garbage etc that might be drawing them in?

I know a lot of people are freaked out by their looks, but as critters of their ilk go, they're actually far less aggressive and far less likely to be carrying any disease that could affect dogs than things like raccoons and skunks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I don't know the stats, but possums also contract & can transmit rabies.

My neighborhood has occasional deer(!), lotsa squirrels, bunnies & raccoons & possibly a skunk or 2, but only possums have taken up residence in my fenced yard. I suspect b/c they're preternaturally dumb...just barely smart enough to eat & breed (IMO). Cochise, my old Sibe, nailed a bunch of them, & killed a few. Either they eventually died out, or rapidly evolved to be smart enough not to nest/live in close quarters with large predators. I'm betting on the former.

I didn't like him killing them, creepy though I think they are, but he'd see 'em waaay before I did & his 'inner wolf' took over.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I never took any notice of possums before my old horse contracted EPM.
I take great pains to keep them out of my barn now.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
They ARE creepy! Those icky nocturnal eyes. I know I should be more nature-friendly, but did nature intend for them to live in my shed?? Like Ruby Tuesday above, I have a dog--Aik, who was off like a shot when he saw one, he'd do the grab, shake and fling before I could even get "leave it" out of my mouth and the possom would be RIP. GROSS!!

I have a suggestion, which may be completely lame, but it worked on squirrels in my mom's chimney--put out pans of ammonia in your shed--wide pans. The smell may drive them away. I put a big pan of ammonia in mom's fireplace, in a day or so, the critters evacuated the premises! I have no idea if it would work for possums..........

·
Registered
333 Posts
My girls would love to take care of your little problem...LOL we used to have a possum problem but now they have a dog problem so I rarely if ever see one and when I do the girls have already taken care of the little pest....I have horses as well so I really dont want the little critters around either.....
Sashmom other than that how is your boy doing.... oh and what about your roof....:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
While it's possible for any mammal to get rabies, the chances of a possum carrying it are extremely rare. They have a lower body temp and that may not allow the virus to survive/flourish.

Possums are my FAVORITIST of all wild creatures! Fascinating lil fellas...They are North America's only marsupial and have more teeth than any other mammal here. They have been in exsistance for over 75 million years! They mate only once a year but have 2 litters. They are also immune to snake venom.

I LOVE getting calls on "nuisance" possums. OMG, the babies make me squeal with delight! Silver fluff balls full of teeth!

To get rid of the possums on your property, your best bet is to remove the food sources which can be anything from pet food and garbage to fruit trees and vegetable gardens.

·
Registered
14,028 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
The only possum I ever saw dead in the yard either died from the fright of being confronted by three large dogs, or was somehow killed by one (or more) of them when they decided he would make an interesting playmate.

The bigger deal here were the squirrels. The little red ones are pretty smart and fast and can get away before getting caught, but the gray ones seem to lack something in the way of intelligence...

Anyway, a few years ago we had Mr Pip's elderly mom living with us after she broke her hip. One day she's sitting in her chair in the living room and Amy, the black lab, brought something in and laid it at Mom's feet. It was a squirrel tail...minus the squirrel.

The really odd thing about all this was that Amy was afraid of everyone except us. When Mom moved in, Amy took an instant liking to her and often slept near her chair. I suppose she saw the squirrel tail as something of a gift to her "grandma". Oh, after she had eaten the good parts, of course....

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Little baby possums don't bother me, the giant huge possums do!

We seem to have more armadillos down here, but 100 miles north my parents have possums everywhere! Like huge gangsta possums that will cut you with a shiv or put a cap in your butt...I try to avoid them...

·
Registered
321 Posts
One evening, I climbed a ladder to the barn loft to get some hay. I was almost there - took one more step - which raised my face just above the loft floor level and there, just a few feet away, was a hissing possum! All I saw was advancing hissing teeth.
I am quite sure I would never be able to get down a ladder as fast as I did that night. Even the best of counter-conditioning and desensitization programs would be hard-pressed to erase that memory!

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally Posted By: pupresqUsually they come around because there's something to eat. If you remove that, you may remove them. Is there any cat food on the porch or accessible garbage etc that might be drawing them in?

I know a lot of people are freaked out by their looks, but as critters of their ilk go, they're actually far less aggressive and far less likely to be carrying any disease that could affect dogs than things like raccoons and skunks.
no, we dont leave ANY food out. the shed in the back needs to go, I had the other 2 torn down this is the one they like to go in, the last one left.
I just dont like Neek to go near them and he had it in his mouth

I forgot: we do have an OJ tree in the back?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: vomonyxhausMy girls would love to take care of your little problem...LOL we used to have a possum problem but now they have a dog problem so I rarely if ever see one and when I do the girls have already taken care of the little pest....I have horses as well so I really dont want the little critters around either.....
Sashmom other than that how is your boy doing.... oh and what about your roof....:)
yes it is strange, the first time Sashi encountered a possum, baby one he KILLED it I was screaming at him and he did eventually drop it. EW that was a bad night!
I think this one mustve been sleeping when Neek grabbed it yesterday, it was funny the way the Possum played dead, Neek believed him LOL
he is doing a little better and I am sorry I havent called you! its just been one thing after the other. geez by the tim I get to see Hulk, he will be the Incredible GSD Hulk LOL

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: MartieOne evening, I climbed a ladder to the barn loft to get some hay. I was almost there - took one more step - which raised my face just above the loft floor level and there, just a few feet away, was a hissing possum! All I saw was advancing hissing teeth.
I am quite sure I would never be able to get down a ladder as fast as I did that night. Even the best of counter-conditioning and desensitization programs would be hard-pressed to erase that memory!
I probably wouldve jumped off the ladder!!! eeeek! I think if they have babies, they can get quite nasty?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: gbodaneHI,

We had two earlier this year. Used a humane trap and removed them to a local park.

Here is one of the critters. Kinda of cute in an ugly way
it is kind of cute when theyre babies. I wish I had one of those humane traps, we do have an animal wildlife preserve it could go live in, much better place than my yard!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Aubie/anna's mom...I don't have the technical fortitude to copy and paste your post in the little box that people do, but your comment on gangsta possums that will cut you or put a cap in your butt caused me to spew SlimFast(high protein, milk chocolate) out my nose, mouth and on to my computer screen. I should know better by now......................

By the way, if what I just did had been captured on tape and could be played on a repeating loop wherever possums live, THAT would scare them away. SOOO not ladylike...........

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
About 6 weeks ago,we saved a baby that fell in our pond, he was freezing and clinging to the skimmer. I re-habbed him for a week and let him go way back in the woods. Another one wasn't so lucky-my DH found it drowned. About 2 weeks later, I found a littermate dead in the chipmunk trap DH had out by the chicken coop. I was not happy. I had a thread when we found the baby as I was in need of advice on re-habbing him: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post1098786
I think they are interesting, the only North America marsupial. They only live for two years if they're lucky.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally Posted By: aubieLike huge gangsta possums that will cut you with a shiv or put a cap in your butt...I try to avoid them...
Us too! I've seen them run across streets and whatnot,but the first time I saw one up close it was HUGE, like skateboard big. My husband never saw one before and thought it was a mutant rat that was hissing at us and advancing, then he practically threw me out of it's path. Must have been the neighborhood thug cause is followed us nearly a block before going it's own way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts