German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight was Wolfie's second obedience class. Last week, he barked and barked a lot, but eventually settled down. Tonight, we walked in, and he was barking again. As soon as we walked down the steps into the large auditorium that the obedience club divides up and uses for classrooms, this woman, who I saw ordering some people around, came up to me, got in my face, and yelled " if you can't stop him from barking, you will never be allowed to come back here again!" Thinking that she was a club official or an instructor, I allowed her to grab Wolfie's collar. She then gave him a couple of corrections with the prong collar. He kept barking anyways, and she HIT HIM on the muzzle! She's **** lucky that he didn't bite her! Then she went over to Wolfie's instructor with a spray water bottle and told her to use it on Wolfie and walked away. I went right up to Wolfie's instructor and asked her who that woman was. She said she had no idea! I told her what the woman said and did and the instructor told me that she has no right to tell me that I can't come back and that I was welcome anytime. She also said she would never use the spray bottle on Wolfie, and that she doesn't believe in hitting dogs. She said she would talk to someone about it. Meanwhile, this woman had her dog in the advanced class next to us. I was waiting for the potty break to go and give her a piece of my mind, but she disappeared just as we were about to break, and didn't come back. I sent an email to the club and told them if they didn't do something about it, I am quitting and I want my money back. I just may quit anyways. There are plenty of other obedience schools around here. :mad:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wowza I would have lopped that woman on her nose instructor/club official or not- nice use of restraint;)
I knew that if I got upset, Wolfie would probably try and attack. He doesn't like it when people upset his Mama

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It would have gotten ugly between her/Titon and/or me/her if that was us. But I have a very short fuse so kudos to you for restraint.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Wolfie attack crazy lady who screamed at you and then hit him- oh no that would have been a shame;) I took Zoe to a training class at 9 weeks and quit that same night because the idiot instructor instructed me to smack her nose when she jumped on me and firmly say no. I looked at her and said obviously this class is not for me thank you for your time and walked away. I was reimbursed half.

What makes your situation worse is this was just some idiot in another class. I would report it and next class confront her nicely but assertively and explain she has no right to tell you or any other member when they are and aren't welcome. I would also TELL her any physical contact between her and my dog were off limits:)

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What makes your situation worse is this was just some idiot in another class. I would report it and next class confront her nicely but assertively and explain she has no right to tell you or any other member when they are and aren't welcome. I would also TELL her any physical contact between her and my dog were off limits:)[/QUOTE]

I already contacted the club by email, and I am definitely planning on putting this woman in her place next week.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You really don't want to know what I would have done to that lady..

First off, NO ONE, not even my instructor corrects my dog. That is *MY* job, no one elses. Even in SchH, my TD will not correct the dog, he will INSTRUCT me how to handle it or give me pointers, but never will he correct them.

Please, for the sake of your puppy do not let people approach him and allow them (no matter who they are) to treat him like that. It not only could cause physical damage but emotional and behavioural as well. Bad, bad, bad situation.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am still considering quitting. There were other instructors and club officials there, and no one did a thing.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I think you handled it quite well. Now that it is over you can break it down and see what you might want to do differently.

When people are telling you something, suggesting things, etc, the best bet is to listen politely and stay calm for your dog. It is up to you whether or not you choose to actually use anything they suggest.

When people reach for your dog, to correct him, or whatever, I think you need to have a plan ready, some what to cut the person off from your dog and at the same time be calm and collected for your dog. Use a body block if necessary, step between the lady and your dog, and have a statement ready like, "I will correct MY dog, thank you." Not a question, a statement. Spoken clear and calm, but not to be argued with.

It sounds like your obedience class was not so much to blame. Crazy, pushy people exist in the world and she just happened to be training and the same facility as yours.

Please do not quit because your dog NEEDS to work in a class setting with other dogs and people. This is evident at the amount of barking going on. You cannot do this in a vaccume. It is really hard when our dogs are acting up and embarrassing, if that lady did that to me, I probably would have thought she was someone too.

But by someone else HITTING your dog, if he is at all leery of people, that will make him more so. All the more reason to get him out and have him see and meet and work alongside NORMAL people.

Registering your complaint will be helpful to the training facility. I do not know what they can do about it, but I hope they confront her about it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It would have gotten ugly between her/Titon and/or me/her if that was us. But I have a very short fuse so kudos to you for restraint.

Same here. I dont think Elvis would have done much but me on the other hand... forget it. It would have gotten really ugly. :eek: But good on you for your restraint! That takes will power!

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wolfie is barking because this is his second class ever, and he is excited to see all those dogs in one area. I might add that he barked considerably less this time. Only when we first walked in, and then he got right down to work without a peep during class, and for the rest of the night. He encounters many dogs on his daily walks, etc. I take him everywhere and he is well socialized. I would have gladly listened to any advice she or anyone had to offer. Her golden retriever is very well trained, and very smart, but I did notice that she is extremely mean to him. If I do end up quitting, I am not quitting obedience training. I will find another school. There are a lot of them around.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I WISH my instructor would have taken on Beansy tonight, LOL!!!!

She was a pistol. Halfway through the class I was ready to KILL her. We have three young shepherds in there, and at first tonight she seemed the worst. The boy started barking like a maniac halfway through and made me feel better, and the shep next to me started acting almost as bad as Beansy by the end.

Obedience classes can be a real pain. The instructor took the second shep and got her to do a perfect come front and then sit. I said, "he he he I want to see you do that with MY dog." She did not take me up on it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
To add.. I also would quit but not until I found another school.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Wolfie is barking because this is his second class ever, and he is excited to see all those dogs in one area. I might add that he barked considerably less this time. Only when we first walked in, and then he got right down to work without a peep during class, and for the rest of the night. He encounters many dogs on his daily walks, etc. I take him everywhere and he is well socialized. I would have gladly listened to any advice she or anyone had to offer. Her golden retriever is very well trained, and very smart, but I did notice that she is extremely mean to him. If I do end up quitting, I am not quitting obedience training. I will find another school. There are a lot of them around.
I am right there with you on the barking. Bear and Beansy were in their third ever class tonight. Beansy barked at one dog once, and Bear did not bark at anyone. Last week the barking was worse, and the first week it was awful with Beansy. Beansy kept trying like heck to pull me into the other dogs though. Yes, they are excited about seeing the people and the dogs in close quarters. They do need this. Bear and Beansy are probably not as well socialized as wolfie, but I would not let some participant make me quit and lose my money.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree, that woman should not be allowed back- in fact, I'd demand it. Geez, she attacked your dog for crying out loud! I'd tell them it's her or me and if it's me, it's with my money back

·
Registered
184 Posts
hit my dog i dare you. i dont hit my dog and i will be damned if someone is gonna. a friend of mine that i have known pretty much all my life came over when ava was like 2 months old. she went potty on the floor while he was here. he looked at me and said " your dog went on the floor. do you want me to stick her nose in it and beat her?" i looked him right in the eye and said "if you lay a finger on my dog that will be the last thing you ever use that hand for." i dont care who you are no one has the right to hit my dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would have exploded. restraint be d.a.m.n.e.d!!!!! I DON'T THINK SO!!!! The ONLY one correcting my dogs for ANYTHING is myself or my husband. I anxiously wait to hear about her reaction (if she's there again) when you go off on her.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
hit my dog i dare you. i dont hit my dog and i will be damned if someone is gonna. a friend of mine that i have known pretty much all my life came over when ava was like 2 months old. she went potty on the floor while he was here. he looked at me and said " your dog went on the floor. do you want me to stick her nose in it and beat her?" i looked him right in the eye and said "if you lay a finger on my dog that will be the last thing you ever use that hand for." i dont care who you are no one has the right to hit my dog.
One time Ozzy peed in the floor, and my boyfriend grabbed him, stuck his nose in it, and bopped him on the butt, saying, "NO, bad dog!"

I'm normally an easy-going person, but I got up in his face, and said, "Don't you lay a hand on my dog, EVER. He's MY dog, and you will NOT treat him like that."

Ozzy is the only thing we fight about. I'm all about positive reinforcement, raising with a tender, loving, but firm hand. He believes in punishment and thinks it's best that the dog respects him out of fear. My dog will not be raised like that, sorry.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
One time Ozzy peed in the floor, and my boyfriend grabbed him, stuck his nose in it, and bopped him on the butt, saying, "NO, bad dog!"

I'm normally an easy-going person, but I got up in his face, and said, "Don't you lay a hand on my dog, EVER. He's MY dog, and you will NOT treat him like that."

Ozzy is the only thing we fight about. I'm all about positive reinforcement, raising with a tender, loving, but firm hand. He believes in punishment and thinks it's best that the dog respects him out of fear. My dog will not be raised like that, sorry.

which is good because Ozzy is doing sooooooo well in your care. He's learned so much!!!! I dont like how my husband handles the dogs when something goes wrong and thats one of the things we argue about the most lol. He told me the other night i care more about the dogs than i do him. told him he was full of it. Care more about how the dogs are raised and he's a PITA about being on the same page! Men!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts