German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I am extremely embarrassed. This has never happened to me and I am trying to find out what happened.
I worm my puppies at 2,3,5, and 7 weeks with pyrantel. Never send a puppy home that had worms.
Well, I just send my first puppy home that had rounds. Has anyone ever had that happen? Just checked a fecal on a litter mate and it was negative but I wormed all litter mates again.
I must say that I am very ashamed about this.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Puppies have worms. Worm life cycles require multiple dewormings. I just bought a pup that has been dewormed out the wazoo, still expecting worms at first fecal.

Nothing to be ashamed about. It happens.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
So you sold a puppy and they came back and said it had round worms?

Is it possibly that they took the pup somewhere and it picked up worms and had nothing to do with you? If thats not the case, then maybe that pups worms were just really resistant to medication.

I can understand why that would be embarrassing, but dont beat yourself up about it. Sometimes those suckers are stubborn. However if your pups have had that much deworming, and the littermate was negative, I suspect the other pup got worms from a different source.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no, he picked up the puppy and I just gave him his last dose and he pooped out a round worm. I just never had this happen and I was/am so embarrassed. The last thing I want anyone thinking is that I don't take care of these little guys. What do you guys use for rounds and hooks?

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
If I were the owner, I would understand. These are living creatures and nothing is ever absolutely perfect. My dog came with papers that stated he had been dewormed with Panacur.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The owner was not mad (I hope) just concerned. I told him I would either provide wormer for him or pay for the wormer he gets at the vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the fact that you are willing to provide or pay for the deworming medicine shows you do care about the puppies. When we picked up our first GSD, she had hook worms and roundworms. When we told the breeder mainly just so she can treat the pups she still had, she didn't seem concerned and didn't follow up. In fact, we never heard from her again. I think if you follow up on the puppy's health, that would say a lot more about how you treat and care for your dogs.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I use strongid or strongid-T. I usually don't see any worms, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it happened.

I also generally worm the dam at the same time as the puppies. I also wait until they are eating regular food before I worm, usually week 4, week 6 and week 8. and then every time they go to the vet for puppy shots.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I personally would not be that upset over worms, especially something common. The last two puppies I've bought, the breeder asked that I see a vet within 72 hours to make sure I was happy and notify them about any problems, just to make sure I was satisfied and they could make amends if anything was missed. One of my puppies was sent home with a round of panacur as a precaution since a few of the other dogs had had a parasite. This did not alarm me or cause hesitation. Honestly I would not even expect the breeder to pay for deworming though it is a nice gesture.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
When I had my first puppy the breeder warned me that pup may still have worms, as they take a bit of time to get rid of, and pups are notorious for re-infecting themselves after a worming. He did have roundworms, I did worm some more. End of story. Very common and nothing a breeder needs to be ashamed of, and puppy owner should not be making the breeder feel like they have somehow failed them over it.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
It's not a uncommon problem and you're going out of your way to fix it. You did nothing wrong, even Delgado who was wormed several times had a few left. The breeder last wormed him the day I picked him up and he was wormed again at the vet on my request three weeks later, no problem and I didn't blink twice honestly

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Not to mention different types of worms come in waves as the puppy ages, necessitating use of different de-wormers for most efficacy, so you have to do a whole de-worming protocol to make sure you get them all so worms just seem to be like potty accidents in puppies - almost inevitable and on-going for quite some time before you can relax!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. Finn came home and had a few worms. Told the breeder and she was super concerned. I wasn't upset at all. Things happen. She brought us more wormer, we treated him, and that was it. These things happen. As an owner, I would have been more concerned if the dog showed signs of a massive infestation that didn't look like it was treated at all. Good for you for being so willing to help the new owner through it and being so concerned.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
worms have a life cycle and when you worm a puppy, you are killing the adult worms, not the ones developing. That is why it helps to worm often, but that doesn't prevent "missing" on developing ones.
Someone suggested worming the dam also. This is good advice and should be done when you worm the pups the first time. Dam can be injesting roundworm eggs from licking tiny butts of babies and then give them back to babies...
Good breeders do exactly what you did. They worm, they prove to new owners who buy babies that they have been wormed, the owners take the paperwork to vets who see the good breeder wormed the babies and what they used and then the vet should continue worming baby every time it gets is puppy shots to kill all the nasty little critters developing in babies tummy.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It's no big deal. All my puppies get worming after 8 weeks old for a few weeks, but I've never seen a worm in their poop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts