German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If you have a feed store or costco in your area you can get 30 pounds of dog food for less than $30 thats a lot better quality. Feeding 4 cups a day of high dollar food makes my pups chunky...they usually get around 3 cups a day give or take. However, if you don't have a costco or feed store feed what you can afford and maybe offer him some extra meats so he's getting adequate protein:)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thank you for the info about neutering. I had no idea.
the only study ive seen on earlier neutering and the leggier look indicate an earlier neuter can possibly result in a longer leg structure of only a fraction of a centimeter....not something that would be noticeable in reality.

i think he is just has the typical long lean look of a male gsd. he wont look as leggy after filling out some.

i think he looks in great condition, weight wise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I live in a podunk town with a Walmart, lol. We rarely get anywhere else.....I can see if the feed store has something in my price range that may be better, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone for all of the information. I really appreciate the honest feedback! And I sooo didn't know dogs could have peanut butter! I will see if he likes it.

:)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
the only study ive seen on earlier neutering and the leggier look indicate an earlier neuter can possibly result in a longer leg structure of only a fraction of a centimeter....not something that would be noticeable in reality.
This isn't really the kind of thing that gets funded for a lot of double-blind, placebo-controlled university research studies. :blush: However, the overwhelming anecdotal evidence from breeders and rescuers alike that I've spoken to (people who see a lot of dogs) is that it is the case, at least in some lines.

Thanks everyone for all of the information. I really appreciate the honest feedback! And I sooo didn't know dogs could have peanut butter! I will see if he likes it.
Oh he will. ;) peanut butter, green beans, plain (not flavored) yogurt, cottage cheese. . .

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Peanut butter is what I use to see if there is something medically wrong with any dog I've ever had! LOL
If they're acting weird and turn down peanut butter, it's definitly time for the vet!
As for putting some weight on him, try feeding him just before he goes to sleep at night. It's how sumo wrestlers gain weight :)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
As for putting some weight on him, try feeding him just before he goes to sleep at night. It's how sumo wrestlers gain weight :)
Hey, me too!

Actually, since that's not his spine in the pics, I don't think he's underweight. Just lanky.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You guys are crackin' me up! Thanks for that!

I thought *insert embarrassed smiley again!* that we weren't supposed to give ANY people food. Shows how much I know!

I have plain yogurt for the baby, I wonder if Charlie will appreciate it as much as she does.

Off to try the peanut butter now....

Thanks again, Loves!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
His hair is funny. There are parts that are Shaggy McNappy, some that are smooth and beautiful and some that are wavy and atrocious. I love his coloring, but the boy needs a good blowout! LOL

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I have plain yogurt for the baby, I wonder if Charlie will appreciate it as much as she does.
A lot of vets will tell you that because a) It's not a good idea to feed them from the table as it promotes begging and b) a lot of people food is really bad for both us and them. They don't want you giving your dog burgers, fries, and a chocolate bar. :) Some people food is fine so long as you give it in his bowl or away from the table. And of course cut back if he starts getting pudgy. :p

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I don't think your friend knows a whole lot about dogs. :)

Charlie looks like a normal, young German Shepherd. It's quite common for them to be lean and lanky until they begin to fill in. Some don't start filling in until they are two to three years old, so I would not be too worried about needing to put weight on your boy. Unless you can clearly see the ribs and hip bones, I would not be worried about weight. Seeing the last one or two ribs is just fine if you have a very active dog, or a young dog. (As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather see one or two ribs than see a fat dog. But that's just me.)

I can tell you that he looks absolutely nothing at all like a Tervuren. :D Google "Tervuren" and see what comes up. It's a very, very different looking dog from your boy. (The dog in my avatar, my Ronja, is a Malinois - which is essentially a Tervuren with short hair.)

As far as food is concerned, here is something to consider when it comes to price: when you feed a low-quality food, you tend to have to feed more in order to provide your dog with the nutrition he needs everyday, and calorie counts tend to be lower than higher quality kibble. So when you feed a better quality food, you tend to feed less. So while the individual bag may be more expensive, your cost to feed it may actually be about the same as you feed less everyday.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I live in a podunk town too - not even a Walmart for 15 miles. :) We do have a Tractor Supply store and feed our boy Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice. You can learn more about dog food here: Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings - you'll be surprised what you read.

Charlie is a handsome guy! Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
If there is a TSC nearby, you can also feed 4Health which is an excellent food and reasonably priced.

I'm not even sure what dog foods wal-mart carries these days. Do they have purina one, iams, anything like that? Any of those would be better than kibbles and bits.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A good brush will kill the shaggy mcnappy,lol The feed store carries a food called 4health that is waaaay better than grocery store poison and still quite cheap!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts