German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting here, so forgive me if I'm breaking rules or seem like an idiot. Right now, I feel like one!

Ok, We have our sweet Charlie. We got him at 8 weeks old, we were told by the people we got him from that he was a full blooded GSD. I don't know if it's true, it really doesn't make a difference if he is or isn't. Anyways, today a friend of mine was over and asked 1. if he was 6 months old or so (he's like a year old almost) and 2. if he was a tervuren/gsd mix.

Our vet said he was gsd, but now I'm questioning it.

I'd love to post a picture but I have NO clue how!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
This is my first time posting here, so forgive me if I'm breaking rules or seem like an idiot. Right now, I feel like one!

Ok, We have our sweet Charlie. We got him at 8 weeks old, we were told by the people we got him from that he was a full blooded GSD. I don't know if it's true, it really doesn't make a difference if he is or isn't. Anyways, today a friend of mine was over and asked 1. if he was 6 months old or so (he's like a year old almost) and 2. if he was a tervuren/gsd mix.

Our vet said he was gsd, but now I'm questioning it.

I'd love to post a picture but I have NO clue how!
:welcome: No need to feel like an idiot

If your pictures are on your computer you can directly upload them here to the site. If you reply to my comment and select the "advanced" reply you'll see this image above the text box

If your pictures are stored online at a site like Photobucket or Flickr just get the images URL and past the code with [ img ] before the code and [ /img ] (no spaces) after the code

example: remeber do not put in spaces [ img ]http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/editor/insertimage.gif[ /img ]

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Chances are he is a long-coated GSD. Teruvens are pretty rare in North America, so not that likely that one was running around and happened to mate with a GSD.

Did you see the mother or the father when you got your pup?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is long coated, black and red. Lots of people ask if he's a gsd/Tevuren mix or Belgian shepherd. There were 2 long coated pups out of a litter of 5.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, here are pictures of him from the other day. She said his legs were really long and he was skinny and looked like he was definetly mixed.

And...We have done everything to make that boy gain weight! He is healthy, eats great, gets lots of exercise, but stays skinny. I don't get it!

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should add...I really don't know much about dogs. I know we love our Charlie, but that's about it! I go strictly off what the vet says, in most cases.

Thanks for the replies. I *think* I've got the picture thing figured out now! Go me! tehehehe

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
he looks like a long legged german shepherd to me:)) I see no tervuren at all. Sometimes it takes longer for males to mature and fill out..

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I agree with Diane he does have some really long legs to grow into but he looks all German Shepherd to me

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Is that his spine that looks wavy or his fur in the photo?

He is definitely all GSD...don't know why someone would think he's mixed with terv.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
yes. he was neutered at about 6 months old.
Ah. That can lead to a leaner, leggier look.

If his hipbones or spine stick out or if you can see more than the back 2 or 3 ribs you might try adding some fat to his diet in the form of peanut butter or healthy oils. He'll thicken up a bit as he ages but he'll probably always be a bit lankier than he would if you had waited until maturity to neuter. I'm not scolding or bashing you-- good for you for listening to your vet and doing the responsible thing, but dogs neutered that young do tend to hang on to the adolescent look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's his fur. It's really thick along his spine and wavy too.

How much should I feed him? He gets like 2cups in the mid morning and 2 in the evening.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
How much should I feed him? He gets like 2cups in the mid morning and 2 in the evening.
Depends on what you're feeding and how many kcalories per cup it has. If his body condition is good, he's active and has lots of energy, and is neither fat nor bony, chances are you're feeding him the right amount. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm, he gets Kibbles n Bits or Member's Mark Exceed. Not the best, I know, but right now it's all I can afford. ** Where's the embarrassed smiley face, when you need one?**

·
Registered
940 Posts
I agree- I think since he was neutered young he may have a longer, leggier look but I think he's definitely 100% shepherd :)

I know I've seen male dogs go through growth spurts where they get longer legs, leaner, etc so it may just be that but I think he looks great - a little thin but that's easy enough to fix.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Do you have a Cosco anywhere near where you live?
Kibbles & Bits can actually be a little more "costly" in price than Kirkland Premium Dog Food....and not nearly as good.
Most people that have used Kirkland...like it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts