German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I wish to apologize to "Selzer". I didn't appreciate your post on my thread about losing Toby and I called you out on it in a crude way. I'm sorry for that. I can't believe the number of negative posts that thread drew even after I explained all of the circumstances. I spend a lot of time on boating forums which are mainly men and we can speak our minds a little more freely there. I was out of line but so were some of the other posts on that thread.

Selzer, the AKC petition does not affect me, you are right. My point was that the AKC supports small "hobby" breeders which many people look down their nose at. After reading some of the breeding forum stickys it seems to be the mentality on this site also. I do breed fine puppies as a hobby. I encourage feed-back from my customers and it has all been positive but for one puppy that died and I refunded the buyers money.

I love German Shepherd dogs and will always have them. That seems to be the only thing I have in common with many of the members of this forum.

For those who posted sincere condolences about Toby, Thank you. I miss him so much. :(

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
The site is not anti-breeding.

Some of the people for various reasons would rather go to rescues or shelters to get dogs.

I think that the general population of the site holds a pretty high standard for breeders, because we have a breed that is riddled with problems, very popular, a negative reputation, and many are in trouble in shelters, pts some due to aggression/temperament issues, some illness/genetic issues, some just because their owners were tired of them, and no one else wants them.

When people come on to the site without knowledge of the breed and what goes into responsible breeding, without being knowledgeable about training, nutrition, common health problems, and the whole nine yards, people will try and discourage them from breeding their dogs. That is not anti-breeding.

I am sorry that Toby died.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Everyone here supports what they support. Just like in life, not everyone will agree.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Selzer, thanks for the reply. I am not at all ignorant of the breed. I got my first GSD from my boss around 1978. His name was Pete Bundy and he worked with police dogs and their handlers from all around the area. I got to go on some of the training sessions including one involving building searches. Once I was the searchee! I was ignorant of the need for heartworm testing and that goes back to the first thread that I started here about my difficulty in finding a competent vet! Over the years I had an overly aggressive male, Axl, whom I did not breed. I also purchased a bitch, Sheeba, who turned out to be timid and a bit small. I did not breed her even though I purchased here with that intent. I also kept and loved her until she died of cancer at 9 years old. I love the breed and I get great pleasure in breeding my dogs on a small scale. I try to give the bitches a full year to recuperate and my dogs get real meat mixed with their dry food. Not to encourage them to eat but because they like it. Thanks again guys. I'll lurk around awhile but I don't think I will fit in well on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
"small hobby breeders" is a matter of semantics. I want a small breeder who is in it for the love of the dogs and not interested in breeding for profit.

I also understand your distrust of vets due to bad experience. But to say that you have never heard of annual heartworm testing? And that your vets never told you that you needed to do it or even pushed for you to keep your dogs on preventative? That isn't an incompetent vet, that is a downright negligent. But there are commercials here 10,000 times a day for heartworm meds.
I would be wondering what other important things you did not know before you started breeding. I hope that you stick around because there is a lot of knowledge to be gained here.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I usually refrain from posting in these "forget you guys, I'm leaving!" posts, but I just want to point a couple things out...

I spend a lot of time on boating forums which are mainly men and we can speak our minds a little more freely there.
I find this really interesting. We spoke our minds and voiced our concerns about the care and treatment of your dog. In return, you retaliated with cursing and insults. Now you're storming off because you don't like what we had to say. Just interesting to read this coming from someone who is used to "speaking their mind a little more freely." This isn't a men vs. women thing imo. Sure, we might have more women on here, but that isn't mean you aren't welcome here. We have plenty of men on here as well and you will find that we ALWAYS speak our minds here... ;)

The site is not anti-breeding.

When people come on to the site without knowledge of the breed and what goes into responsible breeding, without being knowledgeable about training, nutrition, common health problems, and the whole nine yards, people will try and discourage them from breeding their dogs. That is not anti-breeding.
Exactly. We love this breed and are die hard when it comes to preserving its integrity. Asking questions about the vetting and care of a breeder's dogs isn't being judgmental or anti-breeder. It's asking basic questions that every reputable breeder should be aware of and used to answering.

I also understand your distrust of vets due to bad experience. But to say that you have never heard of annual heartworm testing? And that your vets never told you that you needed to do it or even pushed for you to keep your dogs on preventative? That isn't an incompetent vet, that is a downright negligent. But there are commercials here 10,000 times a day for heartworm meds.
I would be wondering what other important things you did not know before you started breeding. I hope that you stick around because there is a lot of knowledge to be gained here.
Very much agree. I asked you in the old thread about the heartworm issue. You neglected to answer. I too have had terrible experiences with vets. A vet missed my 10 year old Golden's GIANT tumor growths during a routine exam and she died a terrible death 6 months later. I hated vets for the longest time after that. But I still took my dogs in without blinking an eye the second one of them had an issue. I think we were a little more inquiring of your practices because as a breeder, you are held to a higher standard than the general "pet" owning population...

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Probably.

But, Carl changed it from a see-ya post to a I-am-still-going-to-lurk-don't-think-I-fit-in post. So who knows, I guess it depends on who is waving the magic delete-it-all wand tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.