German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
While it is upsetting that they allowed you to do so much before telling you GSDs are not allowed, any facility has the right to refuse any animal they choose.

I agree the hospital should list excluded dogs on the website - a calm letter or meeting encouraging that might go a long way.

On our website, we list dogs that have additional requirements before taking our classes. Those are insurance requirements. We do not accept pit bulls - that is also due to insurance regulations.

Some facilities don't allow registered therapy animals (Delta, TDI, etc) - but will allow certified therapy dogs. Some welcome dogs, but not cats. That is their right.

AAT should not be a platform for fighting breed discrimination, no matter how much it might make us 'beside ourselves.' Keep the issues separate - we have all worked too hard to get animal assisted therapy recognized as a valuable resource to get bad marks for making personal issues a part of the AAT world. The hospital may change activity directors or other personnel down the road and your dog could be allowed.

Can someone in your group give a presentation including pictures of your dog and other GSDs working with children? That's how you change things - education.

Many places will welcome your dog - call around. Don't limit yourself to nursing homes. Skye has never been turned away so I am fortunate about that. If she had been, I would take my golden retriever to that place if I felt we were more accepted. All dogs have their place and you will find the one for your dog.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.