German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
File this one under #IH8NY or #BadLegislation.

Here is the Suffolk County law regarding "Outdoor Restraint of Pets". https://ecode360.com/15740177
If you read the "legislative intent" you'll probably agree that it is well-intentioned. But it has made me a criminal several times over because 1) I didn't know about it, and 2) Parts of it don't apply to common-sense.

My crime, stated broadly, is that I tied my 5-month old pup to the backyard deck railing with a 6-foot lead for a couple of hours and then tied him with that same lead to a tie-out stake in the front yard for another hour or so. I did those things because it was a beautiful day out, and the husband and I were doing yard cleaning. We didn't care for the dog constantly biting our shoes, biting the rake, biting, biting, biting, and we put out moss killer in half of the backyard to boot. Didn't want him wandering over there getting moss killer on his paws.

Well, surprise, surprise, surprise... it is against the law here to:

:surprise:tether, leash, fasten, secure, restrain, chain or tie a dog to any object with a device that is less than 15 feet in length;
:surprise:tether, leash, fasten, secure, restrain, chain or tie a dog to any stationary object outdoors for more than one continuous hour in any continuous twelve-hour period between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.
:surprise: tether, leash, fasten, secure, restrain, chain or tie a dog to any stationary object outdoors if the dog is:
less than six months of age.

I'm hoping y'all don't see me on "Cops" or some animal rescue show. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
It looks like this legislation is made to deter chainspots.
If a dog had for example a well anchored chainspot,with a 10 foot chain and decent shelter and access to water,that's far more room than virtually any kennelled dog will have.
But you can legally put a dog in a dark 3x6 kennel all day.

A lot of dogs do better chained than in kennels imo,they get to self exercise a little bit and be out in the elements whenever they choose.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
This is the law in Austin Texas. It doesn't apply here since we dont live in a city or town.

Tethering of Dogs
Leaving a dog alone on a chain or a tether is prohibited by city law (Austin City Code Section 3-4-2)

Anti-chain Ordinance At-a-Glance

§ 3-4-2 - RESTRAINT REQUIREMENTS FOR DOGS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
(A) Except as provided in Subsection (B), a person may not restrain a dog with a chain or tether unless the person is holding the chain or tether. (B) The prohibition of Subsection (A) does not apply to a temporary restraint: (1) during a lawful animal event, veterinary treatment, grooming, training, or law enforcement activity; or (2) that is required to protect the safety or welfare of a person or the dog, if the dog's owner or handler remains with the dog throughout the period of restraint. (C) A person restraining a dog with a chain or tether shall attach the chain or tether to a properly fitting collar or harness worn by the dog. A person may not wrap a chain or tether directly around a dog's neck. A person may not restrain a dog with a chain or tether that weighs more than 1/18 of the dog's body weight. A chain or tether used to restrain a dog must, by design and placement, be unlikely to become entangled. (D) A person may not restrain a dog in a manner that does not allow the dog to have access to necessary shelter and water. (E) A person may not restrain a dog in a manner that allows the dog to move outside the person's property. (F) A person may not keep six or more dogs, other than puppies less than six months old, unless the dogs are kept in an enclosure that meets the requirements prescribed by Section 3-2-13 ( Enclosure for Dogs ).
Source: 1992 Code Sections 3-1-2 and 3-3-8; Ord. 031009-9; Ord. 031211-11; Ord. 20070607-011.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is interesting. Where I live now, it is illegal to leave your dog in the backyard even if it is fenced in. How do I know that? I just had the police come up to my door last night to tell me that some neighbors were concerned about my dog and that it had been left out "all day" and that it was against the rules for the dog to be outside without supervision. I laughed and told them the dog was in a crate all day and I was inside making dinner/eating so I was also watching her while taking care of myself. Then I received a beautiful note that told me that if I am going to abuse my dog by leaving her outside "all day" then these concerned neighbors will take her and give her a loving home. Now I am afraid of leaving my dog outside without being at the ready to beat someone up who tries to steal her.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
That is interesting. Where I live now, it is illegal to leave your dog in the backyard even if it is fenced in. How do I know that? I just had the police come up to my door last night to tell me that some neighbors were concerned about my dog and that it had been left out "all day" and that it was against the rules for the dog to be outside without supervision. I laughed and told them the dog was in a crate all day and I was inside making dinner/eating so I was also watching her while taking care of myself. Then I received a beautiful note that told me that if I am going to abuse my dog by leaving her outside "all day" then these concerned neighbors will take her and give her a loving home. Now I am afraid of leaving my dog outside without being at the ready to beat someone up who tries to steal her.
Could you invite your neighbours over to meet you and the dog, and clear up their misconceptions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could you invite your neighbours over to meet you and the dog, and clear up their misconceptions?
If I knew which neighbors said it. But here I have at least 12 people that can see into my yard from their house and another heaven knows how many that can see my yard as they go on their morning/evening walks with their own pups. I may or may not have taken a more passive-aggressive stance and put up a large cardboard in my backyard that says "The dog is happy, healthy and well taken care of. Thank you for your concern and for bringing the police to my door. They enjoyed kisses and belly rubs too."

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Gosh, I'm glad that isn't the law here!

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
hank you for your concern and for bringing the police to my door. They enjoyed kisses and belly rubs too."
are you sure you want to tell the neighborhood you were giving kisses and belly rubs to the police?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DingDingDing!

It doesn't mention the owner to be present or not.
You are correct! This is but one of MANY glaring oversights in this piece of... legislation.

Not only was I present, or mostly present (within sight distance or earshot), the pup could move to shade or sun as he liked and while he was staked out front I gave him water. With ice cubes, even!

If any busybody neighbor (and thank God I have none of those) had called the cops or animal welfare, I think the cops would've seen that the intent of the law was upheld, but the point is that if someone WANTS TO GET YOU on technicalities, they can.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Must be a county thing. Up here in Wayne county what you did would be the norm.
And they better not drive by club training days....
Actually people have called the cops on us saying the club was fighting dogs....
I'm in Suffolk County, but stupid laws seem to be the norm in New York state. I think upstaters have it a little easier but not by much.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It looks like this legislation is made to deter chainspots.
If a dog had for example a well anchored chainspot,with a 10 foot chain and decent shelter and access to water,that's far more room than virtually any kennelled dog will have.
But you can legally put a dog in a dark 3x6 kennel all day.

A lot of dogs do better chained than in kennels imo,they get to self exercise a little bit and be out in the elements whenever they choose.
Judging by the "legislative intent" it's meant to prevent abuse. It's probably meant to prevent those sad cases of dogs left out in bad weather for days and days, dogs with embedded chains, dogs with hardly any water or food. Let me be politically sensitive and say that the changing demographic trends have brought the questionable cultural enrichment of animal fighting (roosters and dogs), and this law may be partially intended to make it easier for authorities to impound fighting dogs.

However.. 90 minutes tied outside on a 6' lead does not an abused dog make, and you'd hope that elected officials could stop for a minute and figure that out but NOOooooo. I wonder if any of them own pets besides cats and fish.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a strange law!After 11:00 pm it's ok?!I'll watch for you on Cops [email protected],lol:)
Lawbreaker! Nope, I read that it is not allowed to tether the dog between 11P and 6A, so I wonder what the heck people who work nights do, or mid-shifts... What is so bad about those hours? In summers, it might be cooler out there, especially for those houses that have no AC. Was the intent to prevent nuisance barking?

Truly, no one writing this set of laws considered that some people in the county might not have air conditioning.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the law in Austin Texas. It doesn't apply here since we dont live in a city or town.

Tethering of Dogs
Leaving a dog alone on a chain or a tether is prohibited by city law (Austin City Code Section 3-4-2)

Anti-chain Ordinance At-a-Glance

§ 3-4-2 - RESTRAINT REQUIREMENTS FOR DOGS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
(A) Except as provided in Subsection (B), a person may not restrain a dog with a chain or tether unless the person is holding the chain or tether. (B) The prohibition of Subsection (A) does not apply to a temporary restraint: (1) during a lawful animal event, veterinary treatment, grooming, training, or law enforcement activity; or (2) that is required to protect the safety or welfare of a person or the dog, if the dog's owner or handler remains with the dog throughout the period of restraint. (C) A person restraining a dog with a chain or tether shall attach the chain or tether to a properly fitting collar or harness worn by the dog. A person may not wrap a chain or tether directly around a dog's neck. A person may not restrain a dog with a chain or tether that weighs more than 1/18 of the dog's body weight. A chain or tether used to restrain a dog must, by design and placement, be unlikely to become entangled. (D) A person may not restrain a dog in a manner that does not allow the dog to have access to necessary shelter and water. (E) A person may not restrain a dog in a manner that allows the dog to move outside the person's property. (F) A person may not keep six or more dogs, other than puppies less than six months old, unless the dogs are kept in an enclosure that meets the requirements prescribed by Section 3-2-13 ( Enclosure for Dogs ).
Source: 1992 Code Sections 3-1-2 and 3-3-8; Ord. 031009-9; Ord. 031211-11; Ord. 20070607-011.
There's all kinds of "does not apply" in that legislation to make that so much more sensible, specifically "required to protect the safety or welfare of a person or the dog." That right there was why I tethered my pup. Why on earth legislators from NY could not be bothered to look at other states/counties' existing legislation and take some cues from them, I don't know.

Oh, wait... It's because NY's legislators think they're more sophisticated and wise than anybody else on earth!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts