German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was vet day. Had 2 dogs going to the vet so I took the day off.

Max went for his semi annual senior check up and is not doing badly. His weight is good, coat is great, he is happy!
A month ago he was dropping weight and looked bad. Changed food and he is doing well again. So up and down with him. He has 2 new fatty tumors which we measured to watch. He also has discoid lupus now on top of his spondylosis and hypothyroidism. After we left we went to the park and had a nice walk all by our selves on the grass as he can not walk on concrete anymore.

I got home, let everyone out, puttered around in the garden awhile and then took Kayos to her eye vet appt. I have fallen down on the job with my pretty Kay. Her pannus is flaring (that time of year) and I had increased her meds on my own but not enough. Her eyes are red.

I had walked her really early in the AM and we had a nice walk but I noticed she kind of dragged the last few blocks. I did not think much of it except that I know her HD is beginning to worsen and she needs an occassional 1/2 a Rimadyl. Got to the eye vet and lifted her out of the car and she was limping. Limped all the way in and all the way put again. This really upset me. I put her back in the car and drove home. Lifted her out of the car and by now she is crying in pain and her face looked pinched.
I gave her a Rimadyl and called the vet. Thankfully they have evening hours and I was able to get her in. So I put her back in the car and made my third trip 40 miles up the interstate to the vets.

Poor Kayos! She could hardly walk! WHERE HAVE I BEEN!!! This could not have just snuck up that fast. I must have been missing signs of her discomfort. I am BAD dog mom.

The vet spent a lot of time with her watching her move, trying to find out if it was knee, hocks or hips. It is her hips. AT 5 1/2 it has caught up with her. So now she is on Tramador and Rimadyl to get her pain under control. Hopefully we will be able to reduce the Rimadyl down lower and use it with the Synovi G3 she has been on. Vet was concerned about long time usage of Rimadyl in so young a dog.

My regular vet left for vacation at 3 PM. Max had seen her in the AM. When she gets back I will get Kay in again so we can maybe talk about options other than Rimadyl.

And Havoc?? The dog with bad poo?? Has been doing really well. Until last night when he decided to mark the island in the kitchen. What's up with that?
Has not done it again and he better not ......

Today Kay is a bit better she is moving around some but not like her normal self. Vet asked if she had gotten hurt and I had not seen any injury, she never yelped when she was rough housing and tearing around the yard with Havoc. So I don't know. I do know I have been giving her 1/4 tabs of Rimadyl more frequently of late but that seemed to control it. I guess her Xrays finally caught up with her body. Poor dog is only 5 1/2.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
aw.... BIG

I hate it when the pups are feeling bad. And a BAD dog mom would have NOT taken them in to a vet to see what was wrong!

Hope your Kayos is feeling better soon ~

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi Kathy,

I understand how these things sneak up on you. Glad to hear that Max is doing so much better and sorry to hear about Kayos! And Havoc is a very bad boy.

Rafi (much younger) also has HD. From the limping he was doing at my cottage it looks like he has ED too.
I have had excellent luck with a regimen of Longevity and Ester C.

I am now looking into Cetyl-M for Chama. She is on Tremadol and Deramaxx for her pain and they aren't doing a darn thing! I've had better lucks with the herbs, homeopathy and supplements.

Here is the Cetyl-M thread: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...true#Post763747

This might be something to try for Kayos and for Max? Also, have you considered getting her a hip replacement? My Massie was severely dysplastic in both hips at age 5. She was very athletic and it was really cramping her style. I had a total hip done on one side and it bought her 5 more years of really good mobility!

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Not a bad dog mom. Sometimes we just don't notice things right away. It took me a while to realize Ris was really having an issue with her diarrhea last year (I kept thinking it was diet-related). Felt like a bad dog mom this year when, no matter what I did, I couldn't get her SIBO under control. You've taken them all to the vet to get looked at which makes you a good dog mom!!

I'm glad to hear that Max is doing quite well. Sorry to hear Kayos' hips are so bad, though. I hope you can find something that will help her feel better and get moving again.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Kayos! Please hug her for me! Please don't be so hard on yourself, you are a very good mom to your dogs, they can't ask for a better one.

If you can't see Dr Thorson then absolutely ask for Dr Janine Swailes. She's very, very good as well, she cured my Yana from never ending chronic unexplainable diarreah when Yana was a pup.

I will switch vets again and go to Dr Thorson again. At Meadow Hills they are expensive but at least they have some idea what they are doing. I'm sure they will be able to help Kayos and show you all possible options.

I hope Kayos will feel better soon!

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Glad to hear Max is doing well,
Sorry about Kayos' hips hurting her so much.
If you're a bad dog mom, what does that make me?

As for Havoc, I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't have, but I must admit, I giggled.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Kathy, Havoc was expressing
his displeaure of everyone getting attention EXCEPT him.

No you are not a Bad dog mom. I have had dogs that didn't really show signs on things until we walked into the Vet's office. Some times our lives just get in such a rush we forget to take care of the dogs and we also forget to take care of ourselves.

Val

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
aww poor Kay and poor you,,can't blame yourself tho,,I know with Sami, when her OCD became clinical it all of a sudden was just "there",,It really caught up with her around Kayo's age as well.

I used the tramadol and meloxicalm(human form) for years on her, it worked really well for her, and never had problems with her blood levels (which I had checked every 6 months)..

Hope she feels better soon:))
diane

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruth we will once again examine the hip replacement. WSU did not want to do it last year - not bad enough yet and they wanted to see more wt off and NSAID's fail first. Even our local vet said they (WSU) are opting to not do the surgery more and more. Hard recovery? Risk of infection? Don't know why? But when our vet Dr Thorson comes back from vacation will will be looking at other things. She is still hobbling today after 4 doses of Rimadyl and Tramadol.

She did not go out tracking with me today and may not on Sunday either.

Unfortunately we have no hydrotherpay either as that would be good for her although I hear a vet locally may put one in.

·
Registered
423 Posts
NO, you are NOT a bad dog mom! You care enough to take them back to the vet when you notice something is not right! My sympathies to you on both Max and Kayos, especially Kayos! It's so hard when they're so young to have this serious of a problem show up.
Our gunny was diagnosed with spondylosis just fairly recently.

He was fine in Feb, a little stiff as he's getting older, but somehow between a Sat night and Sun morning he couldn't get up without pain-Might have fallen outside as the snow was melting and slipped, maybe, I'll never know as he was walking ok when we let them back in. He is on Tramadol and sometimes Deramaxx for the pain, etc. Vet says there's really nothing else we can do, it's just do to his age. I have been giving him glucosamine chondroitin, but really didn't see any improvement from that. I did notice this spring his coat was drier than normal, he's usually shiny and he's been shedding like mad. I now put him on joint care tablets and bought some Vita-coat to put in their food. Luna (she's about 6-7 years I think) is benefiting from the Vita-coat! She loves it on the food.
What are you doing for Max for his spondylosis if you don't mind my asking? I noticed you mentioned he has fatty tumors, and my Gunny has a cyst tendency himself. He has one that the vet and I have been monitoring.
How old is Max? I think our Gunny is about 10, not sure as both ours are adopted, no history to speak of. Good luck with both Kayos and Max!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Kathy, you can't blame yourself. These dogs are so darned stoic, they don't let us know anything is wrong until it's very wrong. I went through it with Gracie. She kept going and going and going until she couldn't go anymore (okay so it was simple pano but at 6 months she just didn't give up). Tramadol is a wonderful pain med. Rimadyl in small doses will not be harmful. Just remember to do an NSAID screen every 6 months. You're a great puppy mom!

And Havoc, well......

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi GSD lovers. you may think im silly but my 9 year old is a pure pedigree but a complete and utter misfit. And no one can take that away from me. My Dixey has done both her crutiate ligaments, (sorry for the spelling) has had an eye disorder for 8 of her 9 years and is on maxidex for life (she is allergic to uv rays i.e. sun) had a hernia, and the list is endless. Anyway we were recommended to feed her garlic, just raw, in with her food and she appears to have a new lease of life even with dealing with a 4 half month old pup. Natures medicine. You are a great mum and if you werent, 1 you would not be going to vets on regular basis, 2 you are on the forum asking for help and you have many friends to help you

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Big HUGS to you, Kathy-- you are a WONDERFUL Dog Mom!! Your dogs are so very lucky to have you.

Sweet, pretty, lovely Kay-- she is such a good dog. (as is hunky handsome Havoc, don't worry about "the island incident".. probably a fluke)

Don't be so scared off of Rimadyl. My holistic vet (really!) said that it is NOT as worrisome for longterm use as so many with internet access think it is.
My last GSD was on it for almost 5 years-- NEVER a liver problem, and we checked levels regularly. What did Rimadyl do? It gave him freedom of movement, and he became a HAPPY dog again, living pain-free.

Just trying to reassure you-- there will be a way for Kayos's pain to be well cared for, there are so many meds out there now. I also am sending prayers that her eyes settle down and feel much better soon.
HUGS-- you are a GREAT Dog Mom, Kathy!!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are scheduled back at the vet on Tuesday at noon. There is little improvement after 4 days of medication.

Wildwolf my Max is 9 1/2 or close to it. He too is a rescue. He has had Spondo for 3 years.

I a not too concerned with Rimadyl, I have had 3 dogs on it and none had problems, except my old girl and we are not even sure it was Rimadyl. But she had been on it for about 5 years too. All NSAIDS can cause problems but I think for the vast majority of dogs and people they are a godsend.

I will most likely continue this in health after the vet visit on Tuesday.

Thanks everyone.

And Havoc has done no more leg lifting in the house!!! I think he forgot where he was!!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Keeping paws crossed here and prayers sent that the vet has good ideas for a gameplan for Kayos's eyes, perhaps a new therapy or drop... who knows? Prayers comin' atcha, Kayos!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Hardly a bad mom at all, tsk tsk for the mislabelling.

The appearance of symptoms can come on very unexpectantly.

I remember when Cisco (my old girl) was sleeping under my bed and I mentioned going for a walk. She tried but could not get out from under the bed and was crying in pain whereas prior to that sleep she was running around like normal - I lifted the bed up and she got out and with some rubbing she recovered but that was the first sign of arthritis.

I also had no problems with Rimadyl and Cisco used it for at least 5 years but I always made sure she had it with food and I would also give her a break from it now and then. But it can be devastating for some dogs.

All the best "Good Mom" for seeing the problem and working towards getting her to feel better. Hugs to you and your family both human and non.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
First, so glad that Max is doing well! Good for you all on that one!

And my gosh, there is so much to catch, you just can't see it all. They have hair covering stuff, they try to hide things from us anyway, so many other factors-it makes my eye twitch. You got it though and are on it!

Maybe they should do x-rays (not the hip kind)?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They offered xrays last Thursday and I declined as I did not really want her sedated when I already know what her hips look like. She was xrayed twice, once at 16 months in May 2004 and again at almost 4 1/2 in May 2007.

Now I am kicking myself for that as I think she may actually have an injury other than the HD. I am wondering if one of the boy's (Havoc??) body slammed her and hurt her. She is really bunny hopping and I am starting to think she may have broken her pelvis. Will see about that tomorrow.

She was moving better this morning finally and wanted to try to chase her ball. I rolled it for her so she could trot a few steps to it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Kathy,

Sorry to hear about Kayos's hip problems. As an owner of a GSD with hip dysplasia, spondylosis, pannus, colitis and perianal fistulas, I can relate.

Just wondering if you've considered massage. I've found that Tasha really appreciates a massage. I think that dogs with joint pain may also have muscle spasms which can be alleviated with massage. A couple of books you might be interested in:
The Pet Lover's Guide to Canine Arthritis & Joint Problems by Kurt Schultz et al., 2006
Canine Massage A Complete Reference Manual by Jean-Pierre Hourdebaigt, 2004
Both are available from Amazon.

You might want to look at Christine Zink's DVD, "Building the Canine Athlete". While it is primarily intended for performance dogs, some of the stretches and exercises can be used to strengthen the muscles of dogs with DJD. The DVD is available from http://caninesports.com/

I have found that glucosamine and chondroitin supplements have been helpful.

I try to limit the amount of rough-housing that goes on between Tasha and Trip. While I don't want to be a complete party-pooper, I step in and put a stop to it when it looks like things are getting a little out of hand. Tasha is so competitive and often doesn't know when to quit, so I have to do it for her, for her own good. Having said that, I try to let her be a dog as much as possible. I think she would be very unhappy if I didn't let her play fetch or have some fun with her "brother".

Regarding swimming, I have found that swimming in the cold Columbia River isn't that great for arthritic joints. Tasha also will get lame if she spends too much time running on a rocky beach. So, I have found that it's best to try and find a smooth or sandy beach, if possible, where the water drops off quickly. All that running through shallow water isn't helpful. I have also discovered that a leisurely 20 minute walk after a swim helps to keep Tasha from getting all seized up.

And, no, you aren't a bad dog mom. I think we have all asked ourselves the "would have/should have/could have" questions.

Hope Kayos is feeling better soon and that the vet has some helpful advice. Glad to hear that Max is doing well and hope Havoc doesn't "autograph" any more in the house

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Shoot--I composed a reply and got kicked off!

Sorry to hear Kayos still isn't feeling better! Sometimes the pain meds just don't work though.
Why do you suspect a broken pelvis? I would imagine that would have had to have been one heck of a bump to cause something like that.

I have ordered the Cetyl-M. I did notice it is recommended for HD too. Maybe something to try?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts