German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, an off-leash dog came bounding across the park, directly at Jupiter, as we walked down the street. Remembering some advice I've read here, I ran at the dog, pointing at it and yelling, "NO!" The dog stopped in mid-dash, about ten feet away, and then his owner came and grabbed him.
I felt a bit like a weirdo since the dog was clearly nice, but Jupiter is just fairly unpredictable and generally doesn't like dogs. He very well could have gone after it and that could have gotten ugly fast--Jupiter was probably twice its size. I was pretty happy that I was able to react so quickly, and it's because I have thought about what I would do in this situation and practiced it in my head a few times.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Today, an off-leash dog came bounding across the park, directly at Jupiter, as we walked down the street. Remembering some advice I've read here, I ran at the dog, pointing at it and yelling, "NO!" The dog stopped in mid-dash, about ten feet away, and then his owner came and grabbed him.
I felt a bit like a weirdo since the dog was clearly nice, but Jupiter is just fairly unpredictable and generally doesn't like dogs. He very well could have gone after it and that could have gotten ugly fast--Jupiter was probably twice its size. I was pretty happy that I was able to react so quickly, and it's because I have thought about what I would do in this situation and practiced it in my head a few times.
Awesome. This is what I do. It has never failed me. I carried mail briefly for the postal service and my trainer advised that 'shouting down' aggressive dogs could be very effective, especially if you have a powerful voice.

It doesn't seem to be that common a practice among people. I think many people find it weird for that reason. I've also gotten a lot of respect for doing it though. Best to clearly communicate and project your intent at a distance before you get into close quarters battle.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Also practice what you'll do if they stop in their tracks and then start circling at the same time your serious dog wants a piece of them. Good times.

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
3,833 Posts
Good for you!
But I just have to say, it doesn't always work!

I had a boxer with an aggressive streak in for boarding, and I'd sealed off the sliding kennel doors because it was winter, and they leaked an awful lot of cold air. So, I was 'herding' the dog in front of me, between the rows of outdoor kennels. He got to the kennel door, and refused to go in. I drew myself up to make myself look bigger, and sternly order him "INSIDE!", while taking a step forward. He jumped up in the air and I thought he was going to take my face off!

The face-to-face confrontation went on for a couple of minutes, with me afraid to push him any further, until my kennel assistant came into the indoor kennel, and of course, I asked for her help. She had no problem persuading him to come inside!

After that, I ALWAYS made sure this particular dog had a sliding door I could use to let him in and out! :oops:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Very nice. Apex in my learning to handle him escaped me a few times embarrassing and irresponsible I know. Your calm firm direct approach could have saved me some trouble one time in particular I'll never forget. Not the story below...

Don't feel weird not everyone understands.

I had a neighbor come over into our yard with his GSD leashed and my husband was out with Apex also leashed (no fence). I was lucky enough to see it coming.

The two dogs are pulling to each other and both men allowing it. Dogs get to noses and explode. I yell drop the leashes!

The good men do so immediately dogs go from 100 to zero all good. Thank the good lord it was the right thing to do in that situation.

Both guys looked at me like are you crazy still listened. Lucky they new I had been doing a ton of work trying to figure out my GSD. I think that is why they listened despite doubt.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Was this you too?A Mountain Lion Was Chasing a Hiker. So He Turned Around and Chased It Back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I’ve done this and it works so well! Good job :)

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Good for you!

I used to to just back off when we’re approached by off leash dogs. Worked with a trainer ,shortly after Josie turned 1, who recommended to hold our ground instead. The first couple of times I had to tell the other dog off it felt awkward and was not fully committed. We’ve had a lot practice out on the trails and I don’t have any qualms in doing what I can to protect Josie’s space. Couple of weeks ago a pack of 7 off leash dogs came towards us I was finally able to get them to run off to their oblivious humans after I flicked my baton at them . We had stepped off trail to give distance but they still came towards our direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good for you!

I used to to just back off when we’re approached by off leash dogs. Worked with a trainer ,shortly after Josie turned 1, who recommended to hold our ground instead. The first couple of times I had to tell the other dog off it felt awkward and was not fully committed. We’ve had a lot practice out on the trails and I don’t have any qualms in doing what I can to protect Josie’s space. Couple of weeks ago a pack of 7 off leash dogs came towards us I was finally able to get them to run off to their oblivious humans after I flicked my baton at them . We had stepped off trail to give distance but they still came towards our direction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seven! Luckily, I haven't seen dog packs around here. What is this baton you have? A special thing to scare off dogs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts