German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter, he was 2 months old.
I want to train him to be a real hound, but my dog's body is not very strong, perhaps the nutrition in the shelter is too bad.
I want to give my German Shepherd a better nutrition package so that his body can get healthy quickly.
Please give me some advice.

·
Registered
15,891 Posts
Mine do great on a mid-grade kibble. The most highly rated fancy stuff is too rich for them. But - dogs are different. 2 mos is very very much a puppy. You want slow steady growth and expect him to be gangly for many months. My latest dog didn't fill out until she was 4. before that, she was super model thin, gazelle body. I avoid puppy formula feed and avoid panno largely because of slow steady growth. Every time I feed large breed puppy feed, the pup develops pano.

What I do feed is Dr. Gary's Best Breed Working Dog formula.

·
Registered
349 Posts
See the website DogFoodAdvisor.com where they rate the quality of most all commercial dog food, canned and dry.

I agree with you that most shelters can't afford to feed good food. I've rescued 2 gsds and both were fed cheap, low

quality food at the shelter and their body and coat looked bad too.

As soon as I upgraded their food and started adding eggs, vitamins, good meat, they looked terrific in a few weeks

and had a sparkle in their eye.

You might want to check with your vet in case your puppy needs worming.

Welcome to the forum and if you have any pictures, we love pictures.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used to recommend Dog food advisor, too, but since Acana is rated so high there, with their problems,as well as other foods that are causing DCM (heart issues) I wouldn't go by their ratings anymore. Ask your vet as she can actually see the animal and recommend an appropriate food, especially since you mention he's not very strong.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Recently I adopted a German Shepherd from the shelter, he was 2 months old.
I want to train him to be a real hound, but my dog's body is not very strong, perhaps the nutrition in the shelter is too bad.
I want to give my German Shepherd a better nutrition package so that his body can get healthy quickly.
Please give me some advice.
Could you clarify a bit please? What do you mean you wanted to train him to be a real hound? And what do you mean his body is not very strong?

·
Registered
15,891 Posts
And, at two months, he's very very much a puppy. If you want to look at ratings on dog food, another place to look is Whole Dog Journal. They rate dog foods every year and the results, last I knew, were available free on line. I suspect your vet would recommend a food that they sell --- and those foods are good for specific circumstances --- I suspect their choice would be a large breed puppy food -- and I've not had good results with that. Adult kibble seems to avoid pano developing in puppies in my household.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts