German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon!
I am new to owning a GSD. I just bought a GSD and she cost me $1900. The vet I took her to said she’s extremely roach backed and will have problems down the line for sure. She’s only 10 weeks old! PLEASE HELP ME!!! Any tips, advice, or thoughts? Please take a look at her and tell me if she’s ok!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
I used to have a Borzoi with a roached back. He never had any problems.

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Omg thank you so much!! Is it from overbreeding or is this how they want their dogs to look?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't freak out. Roach/straight back are words thrown around, the meaning of which confuses me. At 1900 for a pup I would expect the parents to be hip scored by x-ray?

Your pup is very cute ❤

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't freak out. Roach/straight back are words thrown around, the meaning of which confuses me. At 1900 for a pup I would expect the parents to be hip scored by x-ray?

Your pup is very cute ❤
Thank you! I spent way too much for her...

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Is she a purebred? One of my rescues had a crooked spine and it did not affect his activity level or health. It wasn’t a true roach, but may have been caused by poor growth due to being confined and tied up as a puppy. You aren’t going to show or breed the dog. After a while, the dog will become so important to you, the cost won’t matter. Many of us paid a lot for our dogs.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your vet needs to brush up on his anatomy. Your pup's back is actually straight. The back is the part from the withers to where it starts to slant downward. Where it slants is the loin and then the hip. And no, this should not cause any problems later.

Also this is a very young pup. A lot can change as she grows.

For me, I would be looking for a better vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is she a purebred? One of my rescues had a crooked spine and it did not affect his activity level or health. It wasn’t a true roach, but may have been caused by poor growth due to being confined and tied up as a puppy. You aren’t going to show or breed the dog. After a while, the dog will become so important to you, the cost won’t matter. Many of us paid a lot for our dogs.
Yes she’s a purebred and the pet store just told me she comes from show line breeds. I guess the breeder sold the females and kept the male to show. They’re saying her back is normal and that she’s a sloped back show line breed. It just concerned me because of what the vet told me and my last puppy I bought from them was blind in one eye from a defect. She I was scared when she told me that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your vet needs to brush up on his anatomy. Your pup's back is actually straight. The back is the part from the withers to where it starts to slant downward. Where it slants is the loin and then the hip. And no, this should not cause any problems later.

Also this is a very young pup. A lot can change as she grows.

For me, I would be looking for a better vet.
Thank you for your response! That was very helpful!!!! The pet store just told me that she comes from show line dogs. I guess the breeder sold the females and kept the male to show. They’re saying her back is normal and that she’s a sloped back show line breed. It just concerned me because of what the vet told me and my last puppy I bought from them was blind in one eye from a defect. She I was scared when she told me that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thank you for your response! That was very helpful!!!! The pet store just told me that she comes from show line dogs. I guess the breeder sold the females and kept the male to show. They’re saying her back is normal and that she’s a sloped back show line breed. It just concerned me because of what the vet told me and my last puppy I bought from them was blind in one eye from a defect. She I was scared when she told me that.
Pet stores and breeders who sell to pet stores aren’t the best places to buy dogs. The dogs are a lot more likely to struggle with health issues. You have your puppy and you should be happy with her. In the future, I would recommend you look for a quality breeder.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes she’s a purebred and the pet store just told me she comes from show line breeds. I guess the breeder sold the females and kept the male to show.
Actually, the reality is that she comes from a puppymill if you purchased her in a pet store. No quality breeders sell puppies out of a pet store. :cry:
It's terrible that stores make up these stories to sell puppies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think she will be fine. Just have her elbows and hips checked on the x-ray once she turns one year. Just to be sure she will not have any problems in the future.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Yes she’s a purebred and the pet store just told me she comes from show line breeds. I guess the breeder sold the females and kept the male to show. They’re saying her back is normal and that she’s a sloped back show line breed. It just concerned me because of what the vet told me and my last puppy I bought from them was blind in one eye from a defect. She I was scared when she told me that.
I’m surprised a pet store is allowed to sell dogs. You realize for what you paid, you could have bought from a good breeder. Most run around $2,000-3,000 but you are close to that amount and we could have helped you find a breeder. Hopefully when you get another dog in the future, you will use a respected breeder. She is cute, she is yours now and the best thing you can do is train her well and raise her to be the best dog she can be. Read a lot on this forum. Ask questions. We are here to help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts