21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Uhm. NO!

You’re done?

Ding ding!
YOUR dog is DONE, rather blatantly.

Meds at nine months? Really? What’s the five year plan?

(How much exercise)?
I’m guessing not a bunch. Didn’t need to ask. Why belabor? Why ask?

*** Real - I’d bet the mortgage this is what’s going on - just from your pic...

With my VERY first GSD (1995) who schooled the .... out of me .... here’s how it went!

1). Unless psychologically off, your dog isn't crazy and doesn’t need meds. Just guessing..

2) She is completely unfulfilled.

3) You’re doing everything YOU can do, but clearly not what SHE needs.

4). Step up. Figure it out.

.... My very first boy, Damian, shredded three floors, rugs and literally blew three interior plants across three rooms. Rooms. Drywall. You call it. Destroyed three rooms of a single floor home (as my bride was a banking executive and I was building my business).

I was a novice; treated him like a dog - not a German Shepherd. (Critical)!!!

I don’t know; something clicked in me (and him). And I got it.

As luck would have it, we happened to have to move to New Jersey for business reasons.

A very, very close (sage, confidant) friend of mine from North Carolina, who was an expert in rearing Doberman’s ..... literally laughed at me .... and said .....if you (me) cant be around all the time ....he just needs a friend.

So, long story short, I bought a beautiful, all black female in 2000, once we settled in NJ.

READY? I never once (ever, ever) had a violent shake up, shred the plants, mud on the wall episode for the remaining ten years that I owned both - Heidi and Damian. (I put him down at 12.5 and her at 13).

Of course, I woke up and found a way to incorporate far more of my life into their lives.

Anyway. For some, if you’re struggling with one, two might be crazy. For others, it’s the perfect “meds”.

These dogs aren’t difficult to figured out.

“It takes a hard man, to raise a tender chicken”.

If there’s 100 questions on this forum about difficulties w behavior, 95 of the responses will be about inherent problems w the dog, energy (exhaustion) and discipline.

Maybe, the other 5 will have to do with emotion.

Aggregately, GSD’s, if you handle them right, just love the .... out of you.

Continued success and best of luck with your situation.

Find time.

Reactions: Kathrynil

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I had a bitch that tore up 5 crates, 3 were wire, 2 airline type crates. Finally I had to give up on the crates. And she was fine -- different issue I think. She was fine in a crate if I was home, but if I was gone, she had to get out of it. Once out of the crate, she did not do other damage. So that's different. One thing though, the animosity toward crates did not transfer to the kennel -- I mean, like a 10x15' securely fenced kennel on concrete. No problem with an outdoor kennel. I don't know if your girl would have trouble outside as well or if that is even a consideration.

Reactions: Heidigsd

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had a german shepherd male that we recently lost to old age that suffered from severe separation anxiety, after lots of chewed up books, furniture and just about everything else we got him a thunder shirt vest and it was a night and day difference. For a change he was calm. We used it for about 6 months when we left for work and then occasionally until he got to the point we no longer needed it. They are about $40, I use the vest on one of my males now whenever it thunders or he ends up between us on the bed usually at 2:30am, at 125# he has a tendency to take up a lot of space.

·
Registered
914 Posts
We had a german shepherd male that we recently lost to old age that suffered from severe separation anxiety, after lots of chewed up books, furniture and just about everything else we got him a thunder shirt vest and it was a night and day difference. For a change he was calm. We used it for about 6 months when we left for work and then occasionally until he got to the point we no longer needed it. They are about $40, I use the vest on one of my males now whenever it thunders or he ends up between us on the bed usually at 2:30am, at 125# he has a tendency to take up a lot of space.
@bmfjeep, post a pic of your big boy here

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
My experience differs. I've taken a couple dogs in our foster system that no one would keep because of SA. Incredible destruction in their houses.

I just wore them out, mentally and physically, and then did incremental crate training. Like 5 times a day. No drugs.

I'm not saying this will work for all dogs! Just sharing my particular experiences.

They went on to not terribly active homes and remained fine.

Having my dogs, particularly Fama, in the house may have helped a lot as well.
David, something clicked in my puny brain late last night.
SA is largely controlled by how owners deal with dogs. The whole fussing, petting, baby talking, reassuring right before they leave.
I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't do that? So although the exercise and training were probably instrumental, the success was likely more to do with how you handle then anything else.
It's a reconditioning thing. I was thinking of my husband, and how all the dogs have whined and paced when he left. He fusses, pets, apologizes. I toss a cookie, grab my stuff and leave. They just go lay down.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I toss a cookie, grab my stuff and leave. They just go lay down.
You know. That’s a very good point.

While I might not toss a cookie, I do give a quick “Bye guys” and walk out.

No pets, kisses, blah blah. I just roll.

The only time I had that destructive issue was, again, back in 1995 or 1996 when I had my first boy, Damian.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I made it the point that when we are leaving dogs are excited because they know that the marrow bones are coming. Usually I don’t go away longer than a couple of hours. When I come back it’s always nice and peaceful, most of the time the dogs are sleeping.

·
Registered
914 Posts
David, something clicked in my puny brain late last night.
SA is largely controlled by how owners deal with dogs. The whole fussing, petting, baby talking, reassuring right before they leave.
I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't do that? So although the exercise and training were probably instrumental, the success was likely more to do with how you handle then anything else.
It's a reconditioning thing. I was thinking of my husband, and how all the dogs have whined and paced when he left. He fusses, pets, apologizes. I toss a cookie, grab my stuff and leave. They just go lay down.
Also has to do with how you come home for the jumping whining dogs

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
When I come home I ignore while I put my stuff down, change clothes, etc.
Once I'm done then and only then do I acknowledge the dog and grab a leash.
Coming and going are all about calm and ignore.
Once I mastered that I have had zero issues with SA in my dogs or fosters.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
His name should have been your first clue! :devilish:
Chuck.

I took heat for his name for 12.5 years. People didn’t like it.

I think folks related it to the movie The Omen. While their was a black GSD or two in that movie, the little boy was named, Damian.

Anyway. Other than that incident and a FHO at seven months, he was awesome.

Reactions: chuckd

·
Registered
215 Posts
It also helps to just be able to open the porch door and tell them go pee.. excepting at this point they don’t really need to go and rather stay with me trying to help with groceries.. that’s annoying...

·
Registered
524 Posts
We had a GSD rescue that was a retired breeder we adopted at age 4. She had separation anxiety too and never got over it. Luckily I started working at home so she was rarely alone. I really don't like the idea of putting dogs on meds. We did however have to crate her when gone or she'd tear the place up too. A plastic sided crate works better IMO than the wire crates for escape artists. Good luck!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts