German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Lijha & Tager
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I’ve been away from the forums for about a decade now. I used to follow here when I got my shepherd mix Lijha, and got some great information here. I still have no idea what all is mixed together to make a Lijha but she’s an amazing dog, I love her so much.
HOWEVER, I recently got a new pup to add to the household. He’s seven months old now and no question he’s a GSD this time lol
Welcome Tager! 😎
He’s a good boy, working on training him since his previous owners didn’t really train him at all. Mostly working on boundaries so he leaves me alone when I eat... open to suggestions there.
The pics uploaded backwards, so Lijha is on top haha, she’s 11 now and still going strong 🥰
Water Dog Dog breed Sky Carnivore

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Freezing

Snow Dog Dog breed Carnivore Freezing

Snow Dog Dog breed Vertebrate Carnivore

Snow Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore

German shepherd dog Dog Picture frame Carnivore Window

Dog German shepherd dog Window Carnivore Dog breed

Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore Window

·
Registered
Lijha & Tager
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful dogs. That third picture from the bottom.. 😍 that face makes me want to grab him by those cheek fluffs haha
Ha! I knowww I do that so often. He’s got epic cheek floof. I’m not sure what kind of coat he’s got, he’s particularly fluffy and soft

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Feed him after you eat and definitely nothing from the table. You might also try putting him in his bed before dinner with a treat. He's a cutie!
I'm interested in why after dinner? Hiearchy thing?
We always feed the dogs before dinner so they are not hungry and less apt to stare at ours. Or at least that's my theory.

But we mainly just don't feed human food or food from the table. So there's no expectation that good things come from there and our dogs have never ever drooled or begged.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It's kinda whatever works. If feeding them and getting out of the way works, then that is what you should do but I find they are not as pushy if they know they will eat after us and get table scraps. They both lay under the table (well, some part of them) and wait for things to drop but they don't beg. I guess it's just having a routine. Here they eat after, then go out.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
My girl likes to eat while we are in the kitchen preparing dinner. If we put food down and go to another part of the camper or leave she will not eat until we return.

I'm guessing to her the pack eats together.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
It matters not if I feed before I eat or after I eat. Varik is always pretty sure he's ravenous. He knows I don't like to be looked at while eating snicker so most of the time when I sit down he lies down under my chair where I can't see his face. Otherwise, he knows 'out of the kitchen' or I send him to his bed which is about 10 ft away from the kitchen area.

It's definitely an important thing for them to know ... impulse control and also 'go away I'm eating' ;)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
They both watch me eat. One has a habit of testing the boundaries. I tell them to back up if it’s a problem. If it continues I send them away to their crates. I feed them before inewy dinner usually. It’s so onece I’m done eating I don’t have to worry about anything. Either way they finish their food the come check out mine. Mostly the pushy one.

·
Registered
Luke, Leela
132 Posts
My mom always said you're responsible for the pets you have and everything they need comes before your needs. I feed them first, they pee as soon as I get up and before bed. Since I fostered pups and had 7 GSDs I pick up water around 8pm so there's no peeing middle of the night. If I don't need water all night long neither do they. Water is down before I even have coffee.
My friend in FL leaves water down 24/7 and she's up 3x a night to let her dog out to pee. I'm not easy to wake so I can't do that.
I keep water in the car and a bowl if it's hot I put out water for them before I leave. The car-windows are down just enough so they can't get out atho I had an escape artist (rescue) who did get out of a window about 6" down, he also ate the metal crate bars and pulled them or pushed them and I woke up to see all 3 lookin at me. I crated him first night cuz there was another male and he didn't know my dogs well in one day. He cherished his freedom apparently and was 12 when he ate the crate, his teeth weren't in great shape.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,596 Posts
I've always left water out 24/7, with past dogs, rat terrier, beagles, labs and GSDs. Other than housebreaking a puppy I've never had to wakeup in the middle of the night to let a dog pee.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I also leave water out 24/7 and have never had to take an adult dog out in the middle of the night. Not even the tiny Chihuahuas. Would be odd for a healthy adult to not be able to hold it through the night. If my dogs are thirsty, I like them to be able to drink as they please. But that’s just what works for us.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Our adopted dog will beg horribly he is still new enough that the habit isn't broken yet. If someone is eating it's place or crate.
Before we added the new dog Apex was free to roam he doesn't beg. He would just lie under the table. If we have company he gets place or put in a room. Not enough room for him and all the feet under the table. 😀
My mom had a horrible beggar dog would stare and ooze 🤤 drool. Hahaha

1 - 19 of 19 Posts