German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,388 Posts
Yes, Saluki. Add that to my list. I love love love sighthounds.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Top 10 in order
1. Dutch Shepherd
2. Labrador (English lines, preferably red fox)
3. Bouvier des Flandres
4. Malinois
5. Giant Schnauzer
6. Airdale Terrier
7. Scotty
8. Dogo Argentino
9. French Bulldog
10. Catahoula Cur
Quiz: which one doesn't belong in this list? :grin2:

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Maybe a leonberger. My trainer has them. I like GSDs better, because they are smaller and do not have as much hair. But if there was no GSD, the dogs are really shepherd-like in some ways. If not a Leo, then a Gordon Setter or a German Shorthaired pointer or a Nova Scotia Duck tolling retriever.

Well that would be my short list.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
The dogs I knew as a kid usually had a pretty big percentage of collie in them (farm dogs). I'd like to turn the clock back, and get a rough collie/farm collie, before they messed them up so badly by breeding for excessive coat, eye problems and breeding the brains out of them with those pencil thin snouts!

My ideal would be the dog my cousin had when I was a kid, 50 years ago. Her name was Sparky, and she was a purebred rough collie, but roughly the size of a border collie, and didn't have the pencil thin snout the collies have today. She was smart as a whip, and an excellent protector of the farm. She treed a thief up a fence post once, and bit an aggressive farm equipment salesman who tried to whack her in the face for growling protectively at him when my aunt was home alone. She was, of course, marvelous with kids (my uncle had four, so she HAD to be!)

I've thought about the beaceron, but have heard bad things re. temperament. I think dobes are beautiful, but their thin coats aren't very good for the Canadian climate.

Might get a nicely bred Springer, but oh, the GROOMING! And the crud they drag in on those feathers and ears! My mom's springer drooled, too, something else I don't like.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Maybe a leonberger. My trainer has them. I like GSDs better, because they are smaller and do not have as much hair. But if there was no GSD, the dogs are really shepherd-like in some ways. If not a Leo, then a Gordon Setter or a German Shorthaired pointer or a Nova Scotia Duck tolling retriever.

Well that would be my short list.
I think Leonbergers are beautiful, but I'm curious what makes them like a shepherd? The ones I have met have not been GSD-like at all.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Quiz: which one doesn't belong in this list? :grin2:
Couple different ways you could go with that, I'm curious which one you picked out.

Frenchie cause they're totally useless, but so dang cute lol

Catahoula cause it isnt registered purebreed

Dogo cause it's Argentenian

Lab is the only retreiver

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My mind cant even go there. Im a one breed and one dog only kinda guy. German Shepherd
This is kind of where I am. The more dogs I get to know, the more I realize I really don't like dogs; I like German Shepherds.

I've put big red X's over the sporting group, terrier group, hound group, non-sporting group (except for maybe a standard poodle), and toy group. When I think about living with most of those dogs, it's a big fat no. I'd hate the dog in less than a week (with certain breeds, in less than an hour). There is a toy breed or two I could probably be happy with but I think of that as a potential far off future event when I physically could not handle a GSD anymore.

I think I'd be okay with a Corgi or a Chinook. I like Dobermans, but the health problems are a deterrent. I think I could handle a poodle, but only the standard size. I like Rottweilers in theory but I'd have to learn more about them to decide if that would be an okay match or if it would be a disaster.

Basically, I'm an impatient individual and dislike stubborn (vs biddable) and also dislike stupid (vs a thinking dog), so an easily trainable dog that wasn't dopey would be a must. I prefer large to small (exception being made for a Corgi), and I hate useless. Not that any dog is inherently useless, but if the dog can't or won't do the dog sports I think are fun, and if it is too lazy to go places with me, that dog is useless to me. So basically it's a very short list.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Don't want to think about that. My first choice would be a clone of a healthy GSD. If that is not possible then a Cardigan Welsh Corgi. They will probably be the dog I have after I'm to old to handle a GSD too.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
who said they need to go extinct into oblivion -- they just keep on morphing into some barely recognizable facsimile of themselves

just like with extinction you have to catch it in time to prevent it from happening

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
who said they need to go extinct into oblivion -- they just keep on morphing into some barely recognizable facsimile of themselves

just like with extinction you have to catch it in time to prevent it from happening
The opening up of Eastern Europe was a blessing for the breed. We don't get another chance like that if we screw it up now.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
The opening up of Eastern Europe was a blessing for the breed. We don't get another chance like that if we screw it up now.
I know .

I fear it won't be the fault of genetics but the fault that changes in what people "think" they are or "think" they should be . Demands that are market and customer driven.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
A few years ago I was in Poland. Saw several nice Shepherds, kept as regular farm dogs. Well built, not the greatest coats, ungroomed but nice.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I think Leonbergers are beautiful, but I'm curious what makes them like a shepherd? The ones I have met have not been GSD-like at all.
The leonberger is a German guarding dog. They are big, but they are not big teddy bears like the Newfoundland. They have a ton of personality (like shepherds) and tend to be aloof with strangers(like shepherds). They seem rather easy to train IF you know what you are doing, like shepherds. If only they had pointy ears...

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Malinois
Kelpie
Koolie
And I might just have enough patience for another malamute. Ive only had one and he was a bit of an anomaly.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Rottweilers are ahead of GSDs for me. But if both those breeds were gone my short list is a bunch of spitzes and herding breeds.
Finnish Lapphund
Icelandic Sheepdog
Keeshond
Beauceron
Shetland Sheepdog
Tibetan Terrier
Pomeranian

21 - 40 of 65 Posts