German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 year old girl that has always had skin problems but recently got much worse. I took her to the vet but the usual vet was not in and had a fill in. The usual vet had never really offered any suggestions to help her skin issues but this guy suggested that I either do allergy testing ($300.00) or do food trials. He suggested staying away from the usual meats and grains. He suggested duck and potato but I haven't been able to find a quality food with those ingrediants. I bought small bags and did a taste test with Solid Gold Barking at the Moon(Fish/Beef/Potato), Wellness Core(Fish/Potato) and Taste of the Wild (Lamb/Sweet Potato). I have an 11 month old pup and both the dogs have been eating Royal Canin GSD and they both free feed. The older dog, Joy eats while I'm at work and when the pup is confined, so I don't know which one she eats first but I do know she leaves the Royal Canin. The 11 month old consistantly eats the Solid Gold first. He also leaves the RC. I'm not sure if the Solid Gold is good for the younger dog or if the beef in it is a problem for the older dog. I can't afford to feed them both Orijen but might could supplement with it. I could probably do Acana or Nature's Variety Instinct (the only five star hypoallergenic I could find locally) but I still don't know if any of them would be inappropriate for the pup. I need to get more food asap so any input as to what I should go with, let them try or what I should avoid would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a 13 year old girl that has always had skin problems but recently got much worse. I took her to the vet but the usual vet was not in and had a fill in. The usual vet had never really offered any suggestions to help her skin issues but this guy suggested that I either do allergy testing ($300.00) or do food trials. He suggested staying away from the usual meats and grains. He suggested duck and potato but I haven't been able to find a quality food with those ingrediants. I bought small bags and did a taste test with Solid Gold Barking at the Moon(Fish/Beef/Potato), Wellness Core(Fish/Potato) and Taste of the Wild (Lamb/Sweet Potato). I have an 11 month old pup and both the dogs have been eating Royal Canin GSD and they both free feed. The older dog, Joy eats while I'm at work and when the pup is confined, so I don't know which one she eats first but I do know she leaves the Royal Canin. The 11 month old consistantly eats the Solid Gold first. He also leaves the RC. I'm not sure if the Solid Gold is good for the younger dog or if the beef in it is a problem for the older dog. I can't afford to feed them both Orijen but might could supplement with it. I could probably do Acana or Nature's Variety Instinct (the only five star hypoallergenic I could find locally) but I still don't know if any of them would be inappropriate for the pup. I need to get more food asap so any input as to what I should go with, let them try or what I should avoid would be greatly appreciated.
natures balance has a duck and potato limited grain free ingriedents. My dog is doing great on this. Petco and Pet Supermarket carry it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really like free feeding either but that's what my husband wanted to do and I didn't know any better at the time. Joy is almost 13 years old and untill recently was the only dog in the house so it wasn't an issue. She's never been overweight and there was never any question of who ate the food. When I've tried to change it to twice a day, she won't eat when I put it down so by the second day I cave and leave it out for her. I know it may not work out that I can feed them the same thing and if that's how it ends up I'll have to make it work but so far I don't see any signs of the pup being sensitive. He's not itchy and I'm enjoying the fact that he can have tasty tidbits without issue. When I got him I did some research and started him on Royal Canin. It ends up that it may not be quite as good as I initially thought but its a lot better than the stuff Joy had been eating from the grocery store her entire life. She has always been very easy to get the runs so she's never been able to have canned dog food or any goodies like bits of steak from our dinner. She's had storebought treats, a little chicken, a little cheese, a pizza crust (her favorite) but other than that, kibble, kibble, kibble. surprisingly though, changing the kibble has never been an issue digestively, as far as I could tell. She did usually seem less itchy on a lamb and rice formuly though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at that one and it may be okay for Joy but I think its too much potato and not enough meat for the pup. If I can't find a food that works for both dogs, I'll definately give it a shot.
Thanks

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Pork? I don't think I've seen a food with just pork. Is it supposed to be tollerated well?

Pork is well tolerated by dogs allergic to more common proteins like chicken, beef, eggs, wheat gluten.

There are quite a few Pork foods. Blue Seal Pork & Barley, By Nature Pork & Sweet Potato come to mind.

Pork is a very good very palatable protein as well. Your puppy would do fine on these.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try a look at Back to Basics Pork formula. Has a very limited ingredient list and also with the Pork you will get away from most common proteins. The formula has no grain, gluten or potatoe so very limited.
www.backtobasicspetfood.com I would suggest the Pork but the Turkey is also limited ingredient. You can try a bag through petfooddirect and inside the 4# bags is coupons for $8.00 for your second bag and $5.00 for the third so helps out on cost. They also offer a buy 9 get 1.
I have three dogs on the pork right now and like it a little better than the Turkey formula. Both worked but seems the dogs like the taste of the Pork better. Probably due to the high level or organ meat. JMO..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the advise. The only brand mentioned that I have seen locally is the Back to Basics and it was a small selection. I'll go back to the store and see if they have pork.

In the current taste testing, both the dogs seem to like the Nature's Variety Rabbit more than Orijen Red, Acan Pacifica and Fromm Duck and Sweet Potato. Does anyone have an opinion about Nature's Variety and their rotation feeding? Would it work for the one year old? The Pet Supplies Plus near me has the dry in four flavors, the canned and a couple of frezers with raw patties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts