German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are going to try a new type of feeding for my older dog with abdominal bleeding. I bought Royal Canin rabbit but saw it contains potatoes. She has been eating potatoes in another food, so that is out. The other options are both prescription, RC hydrolyzed protein or Purina Pro Plan. Both are expensive and reviews said are tasteless too. It may be a short term option but I need a long term plan. I don’t know if I want to try the single source protein or not. RC contains many good additives, including taurine, which a lot of the LIDs don’t. I had her on Zignature for a while but it didn’t solve the problem. Raw is out because it seems to be protein that is the irritant. Is there any solution that is not prescription that also contains all nutrients? While she is on an elimination diet, I can’t give her anything else, not even probitiotics.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They think so. We have had all kinds of tests done and they all came back negative. The vet finally said we need to correct it as if we had results, so they are treating it as possibly food related idiopathic ulcers. It may or may not be an allergy but she doesn’t have any other allergy symptoms.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My dog is currently doing well on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Sensitivity Control Dry formulation, the novel protein source being duck and tapioca. He actually likes it!!!!! Unfortunately, its expensive.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dog is currently doing well on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Sensitivity Control Dry formulation, the novel protein source being duck and tapioca. He actually likes it!!!!! Unfortunately, its expensive.
Thank you. What size bag can you get? The larger bag should save money over 7 lb bags. How much do you feed a day?

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I fed my dog the Pro Plan food when it was suspected he had allergies. It was not food allergies so he is back on his regular food. Regardless, he did not have any problem eating the food.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fed my dog the Pro Plan food when it was suspected he had allergies. It was not food allergies so he is back on his regular food. Regardless, he did not have any problem eating the food.
I am considering that, but the lack of taste concerned me. We are going to stick with the RC for now, temporarily, and if the symptoms don’t come back, start adding ingredients one at a time until we can switch to a different, quality food.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a very old dog that can only tolerate home cooked meals. Sometimes home prepared food containing the same ingredients is tolerated. Just a thought.
I tested her on cooked chicken and rice and it made her worse. If that worked, I would have done it. She is a young senior, not yet that old.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I had mine on the Royal Canin Ultanimo for awhile. Her stools were great on it, but it did not fix her nausea and vomiting. Eventually I gave up on it. She is doing great on Honest Kitchen now but she is also still on steroids so I can't say for sure what the HK has really contributed

She ate it readily.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thank you. What size bag can you get? The larger bag should save money over 7 lb bags. How much do you feed a day?
I suggest you get the smallest bag you can just to make sure your dog can happily eat it. I can't donate opened bags to my local rescue, I've thrown away hundreds of dollars of dry food, (and have kilos of cooked kangaroo offal in my freezer). I'm in Australia, our bag sizes are metric. I'm aiming at 4 cups a day.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
The 7# bags aren't the only size RC offers -- you can buy a 25# bag of the RC hydrolyzed food, if she does well with your trial bag. Chewy will sell it to you, with your vet's RX:

https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet/dp/35621

Pro Plan's RX veterinary line also has a competing food:
https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets-ha/dp/117452

Diamond Care also introduced a non-RX, much cheaper version of hydrolyzed protein food -- but it has flax, with is an allergen for some dogs (including mine):
https://www.chewy.com/diamond-care-sensitive-skin-formula/dp/170120

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suggest you get the smallest bag you can just to make sure your dog can happily eat it. I can't donate opened bags to my local rescue, I've thrown away hundreds of dollars of dry food, (and have kilos of cooked kangaroo offal in my freezer). I'm in Australia, our bag sizes are metric. I'm aiming at 4 cups a day.
I start out that way, but eventually need to go to a large bag for finances.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 7# bags aren't the only size RC offers -- you can buy a 25# bag of the RC hydrolyzed food, if she does well with your trial bag. Chewy will sell it to you, with your vet's RX:

https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet/dp/35621

Pro Plan's RX veterinary line also has a competing food:
https://www.chewy.com/purina-pro-plan-veterinary-diets-ha/dp/117452

Diamond Care also introduced a non-RX, much cheaper version of hydrolyzed protein food -- but it has flax, with is an allergen for some dogs (including mine):
https://www.chewy.com/diamond-care-sensitive-skin-formula/dp/170120
Thank you! You have been so helpful this last year with the weird conditions my dogs get (skin, digestion).

·
Registered
469 Posts
My old guy has kidney failure and Cushings Disease and has always been sensitive to certain food items in dry kibble. He does well on 80/20 boiled ground beef and either white rice (I process it into smaller grains before cooking it) or malt-o-meal cereal. I know it sounds weird but it's low phosphorus for kidney disease and is easy to digest. He actually does better on the ground beef than chicken. He also gets digestive enzymes with every meal, a vitamin/mineral tab, fish oil and a calcium supplement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts