German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, had a couple questions for you before i bring Zoey to the vet.

A few months ago, I took Zoey to the vet and she was Hookworm+, did an expensive cycle of Doxy and vet told to pop in any time for a quick blood test. I KNOW they will try to push selling their HW products on me (depending on the vet) and I wanted to get your take on Sentinel. You don't need a prescription for it and it's priced decently. Every time I go to the vet, my wallet gets raped and I'd like to buy elsewhere. I was told to wait 6-12 months to retest to insure the doxy did flush out the worms but with her being unprotected, I feel like I should put her on something in the meantime???

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I'm confused by your post.

Normally, HW+ means HEARTworm posivitive, at least in my part of the country.

HEARTworms are diagnosed through a blood test, as you describe. Four weeks of Doxy is often used as the first phase of HEARTworm treatment -- but it's got to be followed up with either the fast or slow kill method of treatment, which is an ordeal and several months of treatment, either way. (Doxy does not "flush" out HEARTworms; it kills a symbiotic bacteria that lives on them and weakens the worms, supporting the effectiveness of whatever drugs are used to kill the worms.) After HEARTworm treatment one typically waits 6 months to do another blood test -- just as you describe.

HOOKworms are digestive parasites that AFAIK are usually diagnosed with a fecal test, not a blood test. It's usually treated with a dewormer, in my experience with foster dogs (e.g., Strongid, Panacur, Drontal, etc) -- sometimes multiple times.

Are you sure your dog had HOOKworms, not HEARTworms?

BTW, if it was indeed HOOKworms, do not walk barefoot in your backyard, if that's where your dog poops. If you've got little ones, make them wear shoes outside, even in the summer. HOOKworms can live in the soil for a good long while, transmit through feet, and infect people.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah, I'm sorry. She had hookworm in the past. What we recently treated her for was Ehrlichiosis and ran her through the Doxy. Hookworm we treated her with the panacur.... Poor baby, adopted her a year ago and I'm already confusing what's she's had!

sorry for the confusion!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but years ago, I used liquid Ivermectin 1% as a monthly HW preventative. Feed stores usu sell it. Or if you're in a big city, it can be ordered online. We had to go to Trifexis due to the horrific flea problem in the south. Hope this also helps. It's considered an off label use but works very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW, Nickyb, your GSD/Mal is gorgeous! My first dog at 18 years old, when I moved out of my parent's house, was a GSD/Mal. She was the most beautiful and brightest girl I've ever met!:halogsd:

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
There are a lot of posts on using Ivomec (1% ivermectin) already....good to check and some safety precautions as ivomec plus can be dangerous.

That said, I thought Sentinel was Rx only

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, Nickyb, your GSD/Mal is gorgeous! My first dog at 18 years old, when I moved out of my parent's house, was a GSD/Mal. She was the most beautiful and brightest girl I've ever met!:halogsd:
Thank you very much, she's turning into a real sweetheart :)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Wow.. Now that seems like a good deal! I'm going to my vet and should I just ask for a prescription of this?
If your vet thinks it's right for your dog, he or she can write out a paper scrip, which can be mailed into KV after you place the online order. Or it can be done by phone/fax. KV's site explains how the form in which they can accept a vet's RX.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts