German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this floofer a few months ago when she was 1 year old from the Humane Society (previous adopter brought her back :( and we got her, completely unplanned, the same day). Humane Society's best guess was Siberian Husky Mix. I strongly suspect GSD genes due to her physical and behavioural traits. Partner says Husky/Lab mix. Any educated guesses out there?

Would love to do a DNA test but until then.. your guess is as good as mine. (In case you were wondering, she is the best dog I've ever had. Can't not chase squirrels, but other than that she is perfection. I can't even begin to understand why anyone would bring her back.. and it makes me so sad. and then a little mad to boot.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi!
We've got a dog which the rescue said is a "husky/white shepherd mix", and he has the same coloring and look...
Those ears especially, look super-familiar to me!

Dug up some pics of Rumo so you can compare...
mine has dark brown eyes though.
Those bicolor eyes on yours...so Husky!?

The only thing is, her fur doesn't look as thick as a husky's and she doesn't have a thick neck ruff? Could be that she just didn't get her husky parent's coat.
( Mine has the husky "coat blow" pattern - it's crazy "furmageddon" here for a month or two twice a year, and then in-between....no shedding at all. )

Mine inherited the shepherd parent's personality...
Our main issues with him have been about his "growling at strangers", which is very un-husky of him...

She is such a pretty girl, whatever she is!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hmmm, and I was thinking that he might have been a backyard breeder dog -
because do you have to breed a white GSD (recessive) to a white husky (that's also not a typical husky color) to get a white GSD/husky?
That suggests some kind of targeted effort?

PS
Brace yourself for the endless "What a beautiful dog!" comments.
It feels like walking with a supermodel...:p

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
What a beautiful girl. I'm so glad you found each other! I'm no expert, but the blue eye screams husky. She could definitely have some GSD in there as well. If you're so inclined, it might be easier to guess her breeds, if you posted a picture of her standing up in profile so we could see her body structure more easily. What does her tail look like? At any rate, she is very pretty!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Does her tail curl Husky-like?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm no expert either, but that gorgeous brown eye and the intense gaze looks GSD to me. If you do a search for 'gerberian shepsky' you will see that backyard breeders are replacing the doodle with this mix. So sad. Thank you for adopting.

Reactions: TheMajor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry if I've made duplicate replies.. My connection was bad and I may have re-posted thinking it hadn't gone through. Sorry!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's a lovely looking dog, he must be a very good boy :) Thanks so much for your replies.

Her tail definitely curls up a lot of the time like a Husky when she is happy/alert/intrigued.. but also lays like a GSD at times.

I really don't know about her breeder.. the Humane Society was not very forthcoming with specifics of her birth/upbringing. She definitely has the husky trait of just wanting to run and run.. and run. along with a VERY high prey drive (mainly wild bunnies and squirrels, but the odd cat too.. worrying as we just moved to the city). However, she is reasonably okay off-leash, and sometimes I would even say she's actually good off-leash and even when she runs off after a squirrel, she has excellent recall.. which is NOT a husky trait. She also likes to 'herd' us around, including our elderly little chihuahua rescue whom she loves to death (he tolerates her. i think mainly because she is about 7 times his size). She's also a total velcro dog, she follows me into the toilet every single time, without fail.. whenever I take a shower with the door closed, it's like I've betrayed her somehow and she cries through the door until i come back out. Lots of fleaing/nibbling when excited and playful. We never saw her during the possible landshark stage, but I can imagine how bad it must've been just from the way she plays. All things that make me think GSD instead of Lab or something else. She's also a terrific swimmer and loves jumping in the lake for a swim.

She has an interesting coat.. it's a double coat, though it doesn't look like it, and in summer (right now) it's nice and sleek looking.. a little plush, but not too much, very soft and smooth, silky almost. In winter, it gets much thicker and fluffier. And the seemingly endless shedding at the changing of the seasons. It already happened in spring (we got her mid-blow), I imagine the same will come in fall. When we got her she was very pale, almost completely white, sort of a creamy color.. now she has darkened a bit and has that almost kind of yellow labrador look about it (hence why people think she is half Lab, I think). I figure her lack of long fluff could be from a shorter-haired GSD gene or something.

And the attention she gets is ridiculous.. Not always my favourite thing and she can be extremely aloof with strangers these days. She wants to go and investigate everyone, but people always try to engage her with direct eye contact and reaching out to pet her because she's so pretty. Which she sometimes likes and sometimes only tolerates. She seems to get more aloof as she gets older and is also getting more territorial and protective of me at times. Again, all of which makes me think she has a lot of GSD in her, these are not Husky traits. But I don't know.. canine genetics are complicated and physical appearances can be misleading.

Any other ideas besides GSD?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts