German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My 11 month female GSD is off to the vet later today but though i would drop a note here to see if there are any words of wisdom/experience.

This morning when i went downstairs i was greeted by the dogs as per normal but my one of my GSDs ears was down. I thought this was strange so i looked at it and felt it.

It is warm to the touch and feels lumpy, like swollen. She plays with my spaniels so it might be a bruise. but the ear completely flops over. It is also warmer to the touch than the other ear. She doesn't seem to show pain when handling the ear, but i have been gentle and not prodded and pushed too much.

I guess my general question is....

Do ears get hurt and recover in GSDs, is the ear flopping when hurt normal?

Thanks

for your help

Adrian

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I hope your gsd is doing better and the vet found the cause. Also that the ear will come back up.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Two things can cause the ear to flop (beyond ordinary puppy / teething) -- one is easy, and that is fly strike. If she has a lot of scabs on the tips of her ears, they can actually cause the ear to flop down. Remove the scabs, wash the ear, and put fly-strike, VIP, or SWAT on the ear tips. And it should be fine.

This however sounds like an ear infection that was not treated, and may have become a hematoma. It is kind of like a blood blister the size of a cigar in the ear. It is caused when the dog shakes its head because the ears are hurting him. The blood vessels bust, and the blood gathers in a huge blister. Generally, you can drain a hematoma, but it will come right back. So what needs to happen, is they slice the hematoma, and stitch it, putting a drain in. And they treat the infection. Unfortunately, the ear is often permanently down after that procedure.

I hope everything went ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, she went to the vet who said it was slightly swollen due to rough housing most likely.

Anyway we applied ice for two sets of 10 mins after vet visit and the ear is back up and she is just fine.

I guess it was a wasted $65 for a vet visit but you can't be too careful when it comes to our beloved 4 legged family members!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
not a wasted 65.00. vet most likely ruled out infection. could have needed antibiotic. if untreated, could cause damage to ear cartilage or deafness. imho, 65.00 well spent.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Thanks for the update. I agree with Huntergreen. $65 was money well spent. But you may want to consider pet insurance (there are several threads on that).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I don't begrudge the $65 at all. Not in the least!

With 3 dogs we figure we are better off paying for vet bills as they come. We have saved a significant amount by not having insurance. Fortunately we have the means and wouldn't hesitate to just pay for an operation or bills if required so this suits us well, but that doesn't mean we waste money.

I have my done my own risk calculations and spreads and over the average age of our breeds of dogs against possible illness/likelihood we will be well on top not having pet insurance.

Anyway her ear is fully back to normal!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts