German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The bleach in the bathtub is in case the water sits for a few days. The longer it sits the more bacteria can form. I have never done this. Water can be boiled. Bleach can also be added later on. I have a pool that can be used for flushing toilets. Never once has the water been shut off or lost after all the hurricanes here. You are leaving I wouldn't even bother filling the tubs.

As far as taping windows. Please do not, its an old wives tail. Its more dangerous to do that and a waste of good duct tape. You can google that as well.

https://gizmodo.com/5955606/5-common-myths-about-hurricane-preparedness-and-why-theyre-bogus

Late at night will not help. When the panic comes, its madness 24/7. People that evacuated South Florida last year got stuck in a massive traffic jam. In some cases 20 hours to drive north to the area that the hurricane actually ended up landing in. All the people who had to fill up cars for no reason left the ones fleeing with no gas. They were getting stranded on the highways. In your area more ways to get out than Florida so hopefully its better.

Good luck and stay safe

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I heard that 40” of rain is expected in some places.
I heard that too but more out west and in the mountains. Where we live they are expecting less rain. Think we are gonna end up staying home and hope for the best. I'd rather be stuck at home because everywhere else is closed rather than be stuck and not be able to get home. Especially because at the moment they are calling for more rain where we were planning on evacuating to. Also, the storm has shifted further south and they are predicting still bad conditions but definitely not as bad. Still watching the forecasts though. I'll update as we decide.

Still have time, things aren't really selling out too too bad here as far as gas and we have everything else. If the weather changes tomorrow we have our house ready to leave and we can. Hopefully we don't need to. Just don't want to get stuck in worse conditions away from home.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I saw a suggestion on facebook of using a Kiddie pool, and filling it with sod and putting it in your garage for your dogs to use. I'm in central NC so it'll be mostly rain, my dogs should be fine outside but I may have to walk out with them on leash to be sure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I saw that too! If it comes down to it I have a kiddie pool for my dogs and about 4 bags of dirt from a project earlier this summer. Don't think I'll go try and find sod. Based on the updated models it isn't looking like we are going to be hit as bad. It will still be a very strong storm though so we are preparing for the worst. Lots of rain too, my front yard is basically a hill so I'm hoping I can use that for them to use the restroom and always keep them on leash. But now I've got my back up plan just in case.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You are getting great advice. Just make sure the fur babies have their ID's in case they panic and run. House and stuff is replaceable, people and pets are not. Be safe. You will, most likely, be on your own so plan with that in mind. And get OUT OF THE WAY. Here in the west it's fire that sends us scrambling. So pack some non-perishable food in the car (don't forget the dog food), paperwork, especially insurance, deeds and titles. And cash. Banks close, power outages shut down cash machines, etc. If you can get a room at a hotel, great, if not, throw the sleeping bags in the car.

And check in with those of use who are professional worriers when you get a chance. THANKS

·
Registered
534 Posts
We have one coming up the Florida coast or close or inland this weekend. Hurricane Isais. Watching it closely but won't know it's exact path til Saturday at the earliest. Get prepared if you're in it's path.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Get prepared if you're in it's path.
I live on the coast of southeast Virginia, at the moment we are expecting it. But, like you said won't really know what's actually happening until it gets closer. Hoping for the best but, expecting the worst. Gonna go pick up some extra dog food tomorrow even though I know he is good for about two more weeks, just to be safe. Stay safe and good luck :D

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
During hurricane season, it's a good time to check your microchip registration too -- log in or call your chip registry to verify they have accurate contact info and emergency contacts. Try to add an out-of-area emergency contact who will be able to find you and/or help you reclaim your dog, if you lose your cell phone.

Collars are great, but you need a registered microchip as back-up. When dogs have to swim and get fished out of flooded areas in boats, sometimes collars are lost. Sometimes they have to be cut-off to free a dog that's hung up on something in the high-water. In the rush to save the dog in the field, stuff happens. Nobody ever thinks it will happen to them.

From what I've heard from people in the emergency rescue centers, animals are moved all over the state during the chaos. In 2016, we had them ending up at fair grounds many hours away from the place where found, mixed in with a thousand other rescued animals in a central location. They're kept in crates, pens, or anything that can be scrounged together quickly. If it moved out of your area, there is usually a spreadsheet showing a dog with that chip number was moved, and where, so you can track it down, once you are safe.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
On the inside of Shadows crate I have a ziploc bag taped to the top. In it I keep her vet records, copies of my ID, and cash. If we have to leave in a hurry it's all there in case I forget anything. Remember that debit systems crash in emergencies. Always keep enough cash for food and gas.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Please note Florence came and went in 2018, but with Isiasa headed for Miami and the eastern coast, the advice is still valid. Everyone, please be safe.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts