German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am not active here much anymore (life is too busy!) I wanted to share some awesome news with those who know me and Hunter.

Hunter and I just took a position as the Bird Control K9 Team at a local international Airport. We will be keeping birds and other wildlife off the run ways and airport property. I am very excited to be utilizing Hunter's drives and working abilities in the real world and giving back to my community!

I am hoping this is only the beginning (he turns 2 years old on the 26th of this month!), and I am currently working on other ways for Hunter and I to volunteer our time and skills to the community.

Hunter's littermate, Scout, was also recently certified as a service dog for a gentleman with Parkinson’s disease - a great month for his litter!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
now that is a neat job for a dog to do, from the dog's perspective i guess, and an important one. congrats.

i always wondered tho, sure the birds leave the landing strip but does that not cause a hazard in the air??

how does it work?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now that is a neat job for a dog to do, from the dog's perspective i guess, and an important one. congrats.

i always wondered tho, sure the birds leave the landing strip but does that not cause a hazard in the air??

how does it work?
His job is to act as the "local predator" and discourage birds from hanging around. There are specific times between flights that we patrol and run the birds off. The Airport has a program/schedule for us to follow!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Outstanding! I saw a feature on a nightly news show a couple years ago that featured these dogs at airports doing exactly what your boy will be doing.:)

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
His job is to act as the "local predator" and discourage birds from hanging around. There are specific times between flights that we patrol and run the birds off. The Airport has a program/schedule for us to follow!
gotcha, again congrats.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Congratulations Wild Wolf!
I have read of border collies doing this but the first time I've known of GSDs.
He must have one solid recall. How do you deal with the aircraft engine noise?
Is the work done off-leash or on a long line?
Do you work quadrants of defined areas?
Hunter must have very strong nerves! A credit to his breeding and lines, as well as your handling and training.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I don't know how often it happens but birds can get sucked up in plane engines which I believe could take down a plane. Yikes!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations Wild Wolf!
I have read of border collies doing this but the first time I've known of GSDs.
He must have one solid recall. How do you deal with the aircraft engine noise?
Is the work done off-leash or on a long line?
Do you work quadrants of defined areas?
Hunter must have very strong nerves! A credit to his breeding and lines, as well as your handling and training.
Yes, his recall is 100% trustworthy thus far. I have called him off deer, rabbit, squirrels and geese without hesitation. I allow him the chase stuff when it is safe. He is the type of dog that would rather die than upset me, he loves to please and loves to work for me!

The work will be mostly off leash with some on leash patrolling.

Nerve isn't an issue with him, he is bomb proof so far. He has been exposed to gun fire, plane engine noise, fireworks and festivals many times through out his life!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That's awesome!!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Can you give me some details on how this works? I work full time but this would be a really awesome job for my malinois. We run on a trail right next to the airport all the time and planes practically land on us, so I know she has solid nerves around planes. Is this a national organization or would I need to check with someone at our aiport? What kind of certification/training is required?

Great for both of you! You have inspired me as I've also been looking for ways to give back and I simply don't have time for SAR.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Congratulations to you and Hunter. Way to go Hunter. Sounds like Hunter's litter is an all star one.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congratulations to you and Hunter. Way to go Hunter. Sounds like Hunter's litter is an all star one.
Thank you very much! The litter was definitely phenomenal. His sister (same litter) is also working as personal protection for a family, and apparently gets to ride in a private jet! Hunter's a bit jealous. ;)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That's a great job. Congratulations!

I think of the Airbus A320 that landed in the Potomac when I think of bird strikes. They ingested a couple so it wasn't technically a strike, but just the same, I'm glad there are folks who do this sort of thing.

I've come close to taking out a few smaller birds. That wouldn't have a very good outcome in a smaller aircraft.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That was the East River, not the Potomac.

An Air Florida 737 crashed into the Potomac in the late '70's due to ice.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What a fantastic job! Great work to you both!!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
That's so neat, congrats! Nothing like working with your dog, I think it definitely builds a special bond. :)

Hunter is so handsome as well, I love his eyes!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts