German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this morning Sabo has realized just how fun it is to hump moms leg. :/ I've taken to telling him "off", but what else do I need to do/should do???? Why is he doing it? I doubt it's hormonal, he's not even 4mo yet!! I also doubt it's a dominant behavior!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's natural for pups to mount other puppies from an early age. It's obviously an 'incomplete' sexual act, but in all probability it probably feels pleasant. In a wolf pack only bold superior wolves will breed and this is probably why the behavior is more common in young dominant male dogs...
BUT
Dogs will also mount people, especially members of their own 'family'. He may be more likely to do it if he has primarily socialized with people vs other dogs.
As far as trying to stop him, I've had luck in the past with my beagle/cocker mix that seemed to get excited if the wind blew in the right direction :rolleyes: :

try to anticipate and prevent humping by noticing what situations seem to prompt it (there may not be any common denominator, but sometimes there is-mine seemed to do it during extreme excitement, like when visitors would come by)

avoid letting him jump up on you

do activities with him that make it clear you are dominant

it helped if I avoided scratching the base of his tail or 'erogenous' zones :blush:

When he mounts, don't get angry. Just quietly stop him and create a diversion/redirect him to something he enjoys doing-preferably something active.

Hope this helps some! It took a little time, but it worked well for me. Nothing more embarrassing than your dog making love to your guests! Oh and I want to make it clear, this is advice more geared towards pups--its a whole other ballgame when adults are doing it (at least there are more possibilities as to what could be causing it ie. smelling a bitch in heat, etc) Good luck!

·
Registered
424 Posts
haha see? that's exactly the type of scenario mine would do it, too. We mistakenly thought that (my parents and myself-I was 12 when I got my first dog) that neutering him would fix the problem (our vet told us it would, too) but it didn't. The fact of the matter is, if the problem exists long before you neuter, it's more than likely going to continue afterwards, too. But we hadn't taught him not to do it, either. Once I started working with him, the instances became few and far-between. MAYBE happening once a year or even less..it never really STOPPED, but..it's a pretty natural behavior to try and be stopping altogether. Besides, who am I to take away something that he obviously enjoyed :laugh: He was just a family pet so it wasn't a huge deal to us. But I certainly understand if you plan on having him do any eventing or competing-or even just to go places socially, it's not something you want to have to worry about.

Not all puppies continue humping forever, though. What you did was good, and I think as long as you nip the behavior in the bud, you can probably stop it altogether. Just keep redirecting like you did :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Try not to think of it in a sexual nature (which it's not) nor is it a show of dominance. Think of it as a show of confidence. You want to build confidence, not correct it. But you surely don't want your pup running around doing the humpity hump with everyone and everything.

When he exhibits this behavior, don't correct it. Don't make a big deal of it. You want to re-direct it. So if he begins to hump, gently push him away, quietly say 'quit' and then re-direct him with a toy. Throw it, tug it etc. I'm not meaning let him hump the toy, but your wanting to build his confidence so you want him to re-direct his confident action to a more acceptable action.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
My family's old mutt lives with my parents. He was neutered at 5 months when we adopted him and he was already hiking his leg and humping anything that moved. Using redirection I was able to get him to quit humping people, but I have never been able to break him of humping his bed/blanket/whatever is fluffy and mobile in his immediate vicinity. The behavior is aggravated by change (like coming home from being kenneled during vacations), playtime, mealtimes, and any time he wants attention but is being ignored. We tried everything except shock collars. And the way I see it, letting him hump his bed is a pretty decent alternative to having him humping people. He's a geriatric old man now and hey, if he can still hump like a pup at 13 I figure he's entitled to it!

·
Registered
424 Posts
He's a geriatric old man now and hey, if he can still hump like a pup at 13 I figure he's entitled to it!
HA! exactly! that was our attitude, too...

some of our best christmas videos--there he is, humping away in the background! He was deaf and mostly blind by that point, and walked slower than molasses, but old age never affected his vigor for couch cushions..

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I've paid attention- and I am darn sure what one of the posters said was right- it's a confidence thing. Sabo seems to hump me, and only me, and ONLY when he's doing well in our training sessions! LMAO!!! I am trying hard to not laugh, but it reminds me of the cocky jock quarterback after a great game!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ooookay, this thread just became insanely relevant to me; one of my dogs (my male) was off at his breeders for a health retreat. I just got him home today and he will NOT QUIT HUMPING my girls, even the spayed one! I mean, they're hiding in corners and still having their heads raped. He'll be one at the end of the month and he has a habit of occasionally humping new dogs, but it's never been THIS bad. Goodness, my poor ladies...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts