German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just switched to a kibble that advetises 'human grade meat'(nature's variety)is this an advertising ploy or are there some existing standards and where would you look for info?

·
Registered
964 Posts
yes human grade is a term used by the better kibble companies.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
But does it MEAN anything? I wonder this as well. Is it USDA approved for humans?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
look on the bag, isn't there a number for a consumer report? e-mail them and ask them or write them a letter. human grade meat, i think i'll contact them and find out what it is. it's probably ok for human consumption but it's probably some parts we wouldn't eat normally.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: ttalldogJust switched to a kibble that advetises 'human grade meat'(nature's variety)is this an advertising ploy or are there some existing standards and where would you look for info?
Dog food companies use this term to try to tell the consumer that it is using a better quality meat that might be found in other kibbles, but, it really doesn't mean anything legally. You are still trusting the "word" of the dog food company. But there really isn't a good legal standard to distinguish what type of meat that the company is putting in there (there can be a HUGE variation from one kibble to the next), so the kibble manufacturers are using their own wording. However, the market is getting pretty competitive, and many of the better dog food companies do try hard to keep their reputation intact.

When I fed kibble, I always felt better buying food that stated this....anything that gave at least some indication that it wasn't a 4D meat, which I don't think is okay to feed me or my dogs.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
find some great information about dog food. get in touch with "the Whole Dog Journal. get a copy of the issue, "Top Dog Foods For Total Wellness". they break down labels, ingredients, what makes a quality food, what makes a low quality food, processing plants, how to calulate nutrient levels and more.
subscription service:
800-829-9165
whole-dog-journal.com/cs
back issues:
800-424-7887
e-mail: [email protected]

let me know if there's a problem getting a copy. i have one.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for input.Re other post (Nutro recall)I have fed Nutro lamb and rice for more than 3 yrs-just recently Jake started not eating and drinking too much.I switched to Prarie dog food with good results.
Doggiedad ?Is whole dog journal on sale single copy or only subscription?I do not subscribe to any 'dog'mags since although the GSD is #3-4 in ownership never seems to be any articles for breed-just anklebiter-designer fufu dog.Is this mag worthwhile for GSD owner?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Ttall,

The WDJ does very little that is GSD specific. In general, it does very little that is breed specific at all. Each month they talk about some training issues written by good trainers, some product reviews,a lot of health of stuff, sometimes special anatomy articles, etc.

There are a few sample articles here:
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

I've received this for a long time, and still find intresting articles. Definitely NOT like the magazines that you've described. I can't stand those either. In fact, a number of the training articles address special issues that you may have run into with jake.

As an extreme side note, for a more literature-based magazine about dogs (not a foo-foo magazine either), The Bark is a great mag: http://www.thebark.com/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts